Rumor: Capitals offer Ovechkin anywhere from 3 to 5 years at around 10 million per

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
I don't know why people are leery of this even if it goes until he's 40

OV is chasing down the all time goal scoring record and he's a better goal scorer than selanne was and selanne himself potted 30+ goals at age 40

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
We don’t know that he didn’t. We have no idea what he’s willing to take and what Ted Leonsis is willing to give. I think he’ll take what he’s offered but I wouldn’t be surprised if he did what he could to allow the team to remain competitive - re: i.e. Cap Hit, term, and bonuses.

They DON’T WANT HIM TO LEAVE and THERE IS a difference.

It was a joke! Obviously they were going to resign him.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
OV is still the Great Eight. Guy is a total pro, and will play at an elite level until at least 40. He’s a modern day “Mr. Hockey”.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Not sure I would give him 5 years at that price tag. guys usually fall off pretty hard in their late 30's. Look at jumbo,marleau,kovalchuk.
Ovechkin is better but what if he is only a 30g/50pt guy making 10 with 3 years left?

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Not sure I would give him 5 years at that price tag. guys usually fall off pretty hard in their late 30's. Look at jumbo,marleau,kovalchuk.
Ovechkin is better but what if he is only a 30g/50pt guy making 10 with 3 years left?
it's worth it to let a guy break what was once thought as an unbreakable record. he won you a cup and him at that pricetag certainly won't be what's holding washington back from continually competing. OV is a beast all over the ice and he will play his heart out until the end. there are worse ways to spend that money

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Hurry up and sign him or I'll send John Tavares a set of these to waive his NMC. ;)

s-l225.webp

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Washington more or less gives him a contract where he has to fill in the years and dollar amount (as they should ) . Capitals from now on obviously keep offering him contracts for whatever he wants until Ovie decides if he wants to move on or retire

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Ovie is Caps royalty--he plays until he no longer feels like it and they'll pay him fairly until that day comes. And, knowing Ovie, he'll never embarrass himself, so when he feels it's the end of the line, he'll go out on his own.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
It is when you consider Washington has sold out over 500 straight games because of Ovi. He's made them relevant in a city that wasn't known for Hockey support previously. He's built up a generation of fans.

And...hes a great player. Perennial rocket winner. Caps best player.
That’s true, when Ovie retires, there’s gonna be a huge drop in hockey interest in DC

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Give him that deal period. Hes the greatest player in caps history. Let him ride off into the sunset.

Reactions: Boxscore

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad