Rumor: Capitals offer Ovechkin anywhere from 3 to 5 years at around 10 million per

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Not much more than he's already making and he still produces...why not?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Holy shit, it's crazy to think that this is only Ovechkin's 3rd contract. And it's even crazier to realize that he's about to finish a 13 year contract.

I imagine Ovi signs a 4 year deal and has his contract end in the same year as Backstrom's. 2025-2026 is going to be a sad year, I think we're going to see all of Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin and Backstrom retire after the 2024-2025 season.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Holy shit, it's crazy to think that this is only Ovechkin's 3rd contract. And it's even crazier to realize that he's about to finish a 13 year contract.

I imagine Ovi signs a 4 year deal and has his contract end in the same year as Backstrom's.

The only crazy long deal that worked out. He'll flirt with 600 goals and break 1000 points over the duration of that deal.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019

I imagine Ovi signs a 4 year deal and has his contract end in the same year as Backstrom's. 2025-2026 is going to be a sad year, I think we're going to see all of Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin and Backstrom retire after the 2024-2025 season.
As a rival Caps fan, the NHL will not be the same without Ovi + Nicky & Sid + Geno. Going to be such a sad day. I feel like I've grown up with these stars - being super young and following hockey, I feel like I've seen them all grow over the last decade and a half. Utmost respect for Pitt, what you guys have done, and your two generational superstars.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It's going to be weird not seeing guys like Ovechkin, Crosby, and Malkin in the league in half a dozen years (or less).

Wonder which team will land the newest generational talent first between Washington and Pittsburgh when those guys retire. ;)

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It's going to be weird not seeing guys like Ovechkin, Crosby, and Malkin in the league in half a dozen years (or less).

Wonder which team will land the newest generational talent first between Washington and Pittsburgh when those guys retire. ;)

I think they'll all be in the league in six years. Every comparable talent played until they were at least 41 in the modern era.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
A normal 35 year old, sure. But Ovechkin doesn't look like he's slowing down in terms of his goal scoring, so they're probably getting a 40+ goal guy per year for the duration of that contract.

You think even at 39 he will hit 40. He had seasons not that long ago where he didn't even hit 40. I am not saying he can't do it, but not necessarily realistic to expect no slow down at all. Every single great player ever slowed down at the end, none of them is immune to aging forever.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Should just give him a stake in the franchise and a long term small dollar contract at this point. The Lemieux special.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad