Rumor: Capitals offer Ovechkin anywhere from 3 to 5 years at around 10 million per

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
This is not meant as a flame against Cap fans but just a simple question for them. Do you think he might follow Trotz to Long Island? The odds seem stacked against that with our cap problems, Ovechkin saying he might retire instead of extending, the fact the Caps are still cup contenders, and the obvious loyalty thing. Just asking to ask. Personally I don’t see it for the many reasons I stated so I’m more asking just to ask.
Ovechkin has absolutely no tie nor any reason to have any to Barry Trotz.

Reactions: Morrison

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Yeah if it were me, I’d bet AGAINST Alex Ovechkin. SRSLY SMH

ALEX OVECHKIN SCORED 48Goals in 68Games THIS SEASON.

At that pace you’d be paying 50M over 5years to see SOMEONE, ANYONE come even close and most likely break a record most people thought could be etched in Diamond.
if selanne could score 31 goals at 40 years old, ovechkin could easily score 30+ over the next five seasons

I'm actually shocked OV isn't offering to take more of a discount to keep the team competitive. he's already just made so much, why not take a haircut at $8 mil AAV? he's already super rich

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
In the last 7 years, it only happened one time he scored less than 48 goals. Easy to see the rest of his career going like this:

50-50-45-40-35-30

That's an average of 41.7 goals.

Yeah, cause remember all those other legends who had 5 to 7 seasons of flat high end performance, me neither! Last time I checked, Ovy is a human, not a cyborg and humans slow down, especially late 30s athletes.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Yeah, cause remember all those other legends who had 5 to 7 seasons of flat high end performance, me neither! Last time I checked, Ovy is a human, not a cyborg and humans slow down, especially late 30s athletes.

The scenario I proposed is not flat. Performance stay relatively similar for age 35 and 36 seasons and then a decline from there. As long as Ovi does not lose his shot, he can score goals even if he slows down a lot.

High end athletes usually have high end performance until injuries take them out.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
This isn't a surprise. Caps retain the face of their franchise until he eventually retires. This isn't "poor" asset management. It's the opposite of that. His value to the city and the franchise is exponentially higher than the value of the contract.

Merc29

Sid ney Cr os by
Jul 3, 2006
Minot, ND
Fair offer IMO. Would hurt more at the end but he’s worth every penny because what he brings to that entire organization including a cup

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
The scenario I proposed is not flat. Performance stay relatively similar for age 35 and 36 seasons and then a decline from there. As long as Ovi does not lose his shot, he can score goals even if he slows down a lot.

High end athletes usually have high end performance until injuries take them out.

You didn't really account for slow down as you projected the same totals as this year. His next 2 seasons could easily be less than 50 goals. Also if he loses even a little speed it will that much harder to keep up with the play and get into good shot spots, have stamina and what not. I am not saying he is suddenly going to become a 20 goal or something, but less than 50 is still very likely and that doesn't even count any injuries. Ovy has played a harder style than most star players and when the wall hits slow down wise it could be much bigger decline than most would assume for him.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
You didn't really account for slow down as you projected the same totals as this year. His next 2 seasons could easily be less than 50 goals. Also if he loses even a little speed it will that much harder to keep up with the play and get into good shot spots, have stamina and what not. I am not saying he is suddenly going to become a 20 goal or something, but less than 50 is still very likely and that doesn't even count any injuries. Ovy has played a harder style than most star players and when the wall hits slow down wise it could be much bigger decline than most would assume for him.

They could be less than 50 sure, but they could also be more. He was on pace for 57 goals this year so what if we see this instead:
55-48-43-40-35-30 ? Decline from previous year every year including the first and still 40 goal average.

There is nothing right now that leads me to think Ovechkin will decline by the time next season starts apart from the magic number 35. As long as he stays healthy, I don't think the decline will be as steep as you think.

Of course, if big injuries happen this could change, but until they do I'm not factoring them in. Ovechkin has been a tank his whole career (played 1152 of a possible 1183 games or 97.4% of the games) and I don't think this will change for a few years still.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
Holy shit, it's crazy to think that this is only Ovechkin's 3rd contract. And it's even crazier to realize that he's about to finish a 13 year contract.

I imagine Ovi signs a 4 year deal and has his contract end in the same year as Backstrom's. 2025-2026 is going to be a sad year, I think we're going to see all of Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin and Backstrom retire after the 2024-2025 season.

You don’t say that!

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
I know its a controversial opinion but Ovechkin should just retire IMO

He has said for some years now he’d like to raise his children in Russia and every chance he gets he flys home. He won the elusive Cup and I think he should do what is best for his family and not just his career

If he sticks around, however, Ill gladly root on some more 50 goal seasons! As long as none are against New Jersey

K but who are any of us to say what is and isn't best for his family? That judgement is only relevant coming from Ovechkin and his family, no one else.

I'm sure about one thing though...his family would certainly be cool with another $30 to 50 million, which will factor into any decisions, absolutely.

...and that's before we talk about the elephant in the room, that he can and should go for Gretzky's 894.

Reactions: sugarspice

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
I know its a controversial opinion but Ovechkin should just retire IMO

He has said for some years now he’d like to raise his children in Russia and every chance he gets he flys home. He won the elusive Cup and I think he should do what is best for his family and not just his career

If he sticks around, however, Ill gladly root on some more 50 goal seasons! As long as none are against New Jersey

Has an NHL player ever retired at such a height in their career?

Like you said...I wouldn't hate on Ovi retiring and I'll root for him trying to break that record. I hope he sticks around for a 3 year contract, if he's still scoring 40+ then keep signing 1 year deals.

Reactions: Hischier and Hughes

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
K but who are any of us to say what is and isn't best for his family? That judgement is only relevant coming from Ovechkin and his family, no one else.

I'm sure about one thing though...his family would certainly be cool with another $30 to 50 million, which will factor into any decisions, absolutely.

...and that's before we talk about the elephant in the room, that he can and should go for Gretzky's 894.
I didnt say it was best for his family - I said hes wanted to take his wife and kids back home to Russia and has said it for some time now. So I figure if thats what he has wanted that is whats best

I wasnt trying to suggest what is right and wrong but simply take his own words and theorize over what he might do

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
if selanne could score 31 goals at 40 years old, ovechkin could easily score 30+ over the next five seasons

I'm actually shocked OV isn't offering to take more of a discount to keep the team competitive. he's already just made so much, why not take a haircut at $8 mil AAV? he's already super rich
We don’t know that he didn’t. We have no idea what he’s willing to take and what Ted Leonsis is willing to give. I think he’ll take what he’s offered but I wouldn’t be surprised if he did what he could to allow the team to remain competitive - re: i.e. Cap Hit, term, and bonuses.

WAIT, so the caps want to keep him?
They DON’T WANT HIM TO LEAVE and THERE IS a difference.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
It would be the end of the line for that generation. :sarcasm:

DB7AA101-2D80-4E44-B1F4-35DED035CF6F.gif

Reactions: Treb

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Fair offer IMO. Would hurt more at the end but he’s worth every penny because what he brings to that entire organization including a cup
Honestly they could offer him 10 years at that $ amount and the Caps Shouldn’t complain but then it would be a bad contract. 5 Years, you offer that without blinking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad