Rumor: Capitals offer Ovechkin anywhere from 3 to 5 years at around 10 million per

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I know its a controversial opinion but Ovechkin should just retire IMO

He has said for some years now he’d like to raise his children in Russia and every chance he gets he flys home. He won the elusive Cup and I think he should do what is best for his family and not just his career

If he sticks around, however, Ill gladly root on some more 50 goal seasons! As long as none are against New Jersey

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Holy shit, it's crazy to think that this is only Ovechkin's 3rd contract. And it's even crazier to realize that he's about to finish a 13 year contract.

I imagine Ovi signs a 4 year deal and has his contract end in the same year as Backstrom's. 2025-2026 is going to be a sad year, I think we're going to see all of Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin and Backstrom retire after the 2024-2025 season.

Didn’t he negotiate his 13 year contract without an agent?

Reactions: Morrison

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
Holy shit, it's crazy to think that this is only Ovechkin's 3rd contract. And it's even crazier to realize that he's about to finish a 13 year contract.

I imagine Ovi signs a 4 year deal and has his contract end in the same year as Backstrom's. 2025-2026 is going to be a sad year, I think we're going to see all of Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin and Backstrom retire after the 2024-2025 season.
I can see Ovi and Crosby battling it out to be the last to retire to be honest; once one of them goes that’ll be the other straight after I think.

I can see the four of them lasting longer than 2025.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

It's been remarkable to see Sid and Ovi's longevity as the faces of the NHL. Will be a very long time before anyone reaches their star power again. As much as I hated the Penguins earlier in the rivalry, the last few years (especially since the Cup) I've just grown to appreciate getting to watch my team of stars take on their biggest rival which is also full of stars. Very rarely does it play out like that in sports.

But yeah, it'll be weird and very sad. The Caps drafted Ovechkin the year after I graduated high school so Ovi has been core to my favorite team my entire adult life. Crazy to think of all of the life events like marriage and kids that have happened since he was drafted.

And I'm fine with them paying him whatever he wants for as long as he wants. What he's done for the Caps and for hockey in the DC/MD/VA area can't be overstated. Hopefully they have another run or two left in them before the team falls apart but he's worth whatever he wants to be paid.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
This is not meant as a flame against Cap fans but just a simple question for them. Do you think he might follow Trotz to Long Island? The odds seem stacked against that with our cap problems, Ovechkin saying he might retire instead of extending, the fact the Caps are still cup contenders, and the obvious loyalty thing. Just asking to ask. Personally I don’t see it for the many reasons I stated.

Last edited:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Jagr wasn't making 10 million

And Ovechkin won't be over 43 after a 5 year deal.

Even at 10% decrease by year, it would take until the end of the deal for him to drop under 30 goals.

I'm pretty sure he will be the 2nd 35+ guy to score 50 in a season.

The last year of the 5 year deal might be harsh, but that's not what you're paying for. There's also a chance he sign for 3 years.

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
You think even at 39 he will hit 40. He had seasons not that long ago where he didn't even hit 40. I am not saying he can't do it, but not necessarily realistic to expect no slow down at all. Every single great player ever slowed down at the end, none of them is immune to aging forever.

Ovi hitting 30 goals for all 5 seasons is pretty realistic tbh

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017

I feel old just reading your comment. Feels like yesterday that Crosby and Ovi had dueling hattricks in the same playoff game. Will be a sad year for sure.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
You think even at 39 he will hit 40. He had seasons not that long ago where he didn't even hit 40. I am not saying he can't do it, but not necessarily realistic to expect no slow down at all. Every single great player ever slowed down at the end, none of them is immune to aging forever.

In the last 7 years, it only happened one time he scored less than 48 goals. Easy to see the rest of his career going like this:

50-50-45-40-35-30

That's an average of 41.7 goals.

Reactions: CanuckCity

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
5 years 50 million at 35? that's not a good idea
Yeah if it were me, I’d bet AGAINST Alex Ovechkin. SRSLY SMH

ALEX OVECHKIN SCORED 48Goals in 68Games THIS SEASON.

At that pace you’d be paying 50M over 5years to see SOMEONE, ANYONE come even close and most likely break a record most people thought could be etched in Diamond.

Reactions: CanuckCity

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Ovechkin is not going to be the first person ever in the history of ever to beat time
He already is.

After you’re dead no one will remember your name or care, like countless Millions of others.

Alex Ovechkin will NEVER BE FORGOTTEN. He is indeed IMMORTAL.

RMNB

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Seasons where he didn’t hit 40 are much further away (and appear to be an absolute anomaly) than a season where he hit nearly 50 in 68 so, to answer your question, if he slows down he’s still good for 40 easily for the next 3-4 seasons. If he hits 45 over that time that 5th season will be the most exciting season in hockey in almost 50 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad