Friedman: Capitals interested in Marc-Andre Fleury

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Whatever that means.
It means the Hawks can probably just phone-it-in from here on out. Is there really any reason for them to even play the games? I mean it’s a race with Montreal to 1st Overall so perhaps Fleury can actually be helpful for that after all.

Ledge And Dairy

This could make a lot of sense for Chicago if they can get Samsonov in the return. Currently neither of their goalies are signed for next year and may both walk. Worst case with Sammy they have someone at NHL caliber who is signed, best case he does truly become an NHL starter

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Lol why do you think Chicago would get that for Fleury when they got him for free and he's been highly mediocre this year?

Maybe you can get like Vanecek and a 3rd for Fleury, which is about the equivalent of a 2nd and 3rd.

Highly mediocre? Lol. After a mediocre start he’s been fantastic.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I think the Caps will probably change their minds about going after Fleury. VV has been in a good groove lately, 10-6-5(doesn't look that good), 2.35 gaa, .916 sv%. Sammy not so much(13-5-3(this looks better, but the other two stats don't look good), 2.79 gaa, .903 sv%) as he seems to be slipping. Fleury's cap hit is too much to try to fit in the Caps salary cap structure(it can be done with 50% of his cap hit retained and the Hawks taking on a cap hit like a Hagelin) and will be too costly in terms of assets to give up. So I think the Caps will go after a vet goalie with a $3 million cap hit or lower. Maybe a goalie like James Reimer if the Sharks don't make the playoffs?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
This could make a lot of sense for Chicago if they can get Samsonov in the return. Currently neither of their goalies are signed for next year and may both walk. Worst case with Sammy they have someone at NHL caliber who is signed, best case he does truly become an NHL starter

Seriously, if you put Samsonov behind a legit bad team, he might implode. He is just not very mentally strong. The Caps are among the league leaders in fewest shots against. A bad team? I dont know man

GossomeRwing

Aug 6, 2005
The caps should not be in the MAF business
The Caps are not cup contenders giving up assets to lose in the 1st round again is just plain STUPID
the Caps have good players but the fit just seems to be off
The Caps struggle with teams with speed
the D leave their goalies out to dry a few times in every game
Vanecek is not the problem

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The Caps are not cup contenders giving up assets to lose in the 1st round again is just plain STUPID

Hi. A lot of this is wrong. I will just start with the Capitals lead the NHL in fewest shots on goal/game. The Caps are 7th in goals against average. Their defense corp and their team defense is in fact excellent. When considering that the Capitals are near the top of the league in games by rookie, number of rookies to play a game, and number of players getting their first NHL points, the fact that they have done so well defensively is remarkable.

Who are these good players that dont fit? Have any of them played regularly this season? Backstrom, Oshie, and Mantha? The Caps have 8 players that have missed 5 or fewer games this season and 2 of those are rookies.

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
Yes but trading a future HHoFer against his will to a team he doesn't want to go to is a great way to sour future relations with other players.

While that is correct I would have thought the technical nature of the question would have shown that the players desire wasn't a concern.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
VV is playing a lot better of late, but I'm starting to get more worried about Sammy. Caps still should acquire a vet goalie to support VV. If VV falters again in the playoffs, then the vet goalie can jump right in. Someone like a Holtby or Reimer would be a better fit, if neither of those goalies respective teams make the playoffs.

GossomeRwing

Aug 6, 2005
Txpd
I am sorry but the Caps D is nowhere near excellent
you do know there is a difference between shots on goal and scoring chances, right?
I think it is fair to say the Caps D have lapses in most games where the D just leave their goalies out to dry
I am sure you have seen this as well

You bring up stats for this year and you are correct the Caps have had injuries to key players, but that in no way changes the fact that the Caps have had no playoff success since they won the Cup

the Caps centers do not win enough face-offs
their D is not physical, as a rookie lead in hits with 113
their top shot blocker is Van-Riemsdyk with 72 blocks
he is averaging just over 18 minutes a game
the rookie Fehervary is 2nd with 60 blocks

I am sorry but I just do not think the Caps should or can afford to give up assets for MAF or any other Vet goaltender
I think they need to think about a re-tool and building a team for next season that is better suited for success against the younger and faster teams otherwise it will be the same old song and dance

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Txpd
I am sorry but the Caps D is nowhere near excellent
you do know there is a difference between shots on goal and scoring chances, right?
I think it is fair to say the Caps D have lapses in most games where the D just leave their goalies out to dry
I am sure you have seen this as well

You bring up stats for this year and you are correct the Caps have had injuries to key players, but that in no way changes the fact that the Caps have had no playoff success since they won the Cup

the Caps centers do not win enough face-offs
their D is not physical, as a rookie lead in hits with 113
their top shot blocker is Van-Riemsdyk with 72 blocks
he is averaging just over 18 minutes a game
the rookie Fehervary is 2nd with 60 blocks

I am sorry but I just do not think the Caps should or can afford to give up assets for MAF or any other Vet goaltender
I think they need to think about a re-tool and building a team for next season that is better suited for success against the younger and faster teams otherwise it will be the same old song and dance

The operative phrase is, "you think" and you are welcome to that. Carry on

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
36 year old ..best goalie in the world last year...LOL and a trophy to prove it !! Caps would be wise to do this. If not their goaltending doesn't get them far
Marc-Andre Fleury Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

Again 37 years. I’m not surprised that you can’t count given the substance of the rest off your argument.

Your take is terrible, username four letters too long, and belief in Fleury ridiculous.

The Caps are not a Marc-Andre Fleury away from anything and should not be willing to pay much to prove it.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2