Friedman: Capitals interested in Marc-Andre Fleury

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
No one has done literally any of this. Eichel was used as an establishment of market prices. You can say he’s s unique case, but literally all trades are. He is a valuable context in his own right to the rate of players and picks in this market.

I’m like 12 posts into the conversation still waiting for anyone to provide any alternative offer and comps thst justify it beyond just naysaying.

It’s exceptionally easy to play the game of “wronnnnng, terrible offer”, but folks get tight lipped when asked what a good offer is and why.
Cat is a young elite piece on a rebuilding team. He wears a letter. There's no good offer that isn't horribly one sided.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
What GOALIE has his resume ?
Several in the history of the League have his resume and better. They were never traded for anything like what is being bandied about here.

Additionally Matt Murray outplayed Fleury to the extent that Fleury was deemed expendable. He’s also far younger. Is Murray also worth a 1st AND additional picks.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Several in the history of the League have his resume and better. They were never traded for anything like what is being bandied about here.

Additionally Matt Murray outplayed Fleury to the extent that Fleury was deemed expendable. He’s also far younger. Is Murray also worth a 1st AND additional picks.
Is Matt Murray currently outplaying MAF?

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
You're not paying for the resume, you are paying for current performance. Big difference.
Additionally MAF was never single-handedly a great PO goalie. He was, as much, a product of a good team than anything he ever did himself. Even his successes (fleeting and transient as they have been) in CHI and LV have resulted from solid team defense.

Here’s the rub. A team with good team defense probably already has a goalie who is benefiting and doesn’t need Fleury. A team that appears to need Fleury probably already has suspect team D and Fleury will not re-direct their fortunes.

Fleury has never been a goalie to steal a Series and he’s not going to rescue poor Team D.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Vanacek is better than Samsonov IMO

Samsonov for Fleury should be plenty for Chicago IMO

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021

Question who won the VEZINA last year ?

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
Vanacek is better than Samsonov IMO

Samsonov for Fleury should be plenty for Chicago IMO

No chance. There are multiple teams looking to bid on Fleury as he's basically the only real starter available for a team with cup aspirations. He is going to go for a pretty penny. You're going to have to give up a first round pick or a comparable asset.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Miller wasn’t traded alone and the amount of success he had afterwards does not make the point you seem to think it does.
Are we pretending Steve Ott was some massively valuable piece? And the success afterwards is immaterial if he's a rental. If you're suggesting the Blues gave up too much hey I'm not arguing otherwise.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Question who won the VEZINA last year ?
Martin Brodeur is an undeniably better goaltender than Marc-Andre f***ing Fleury and he signed as a Free Agent for Jack Shit at approximately the same point in his career and he had won a Vezina that he deserved far more than Fleury. Any team that trades for Fleury on the hope that he has a Swan Song is betting the House on a Fold.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Are we pretending Steve Ott was some massively valuable piece? And the success afterwards is immaterial if he's a rental. If you're suggesting the Blues gave up too much hey I'm not arguing otherwise.
I’m suggesting the Blues got played, the Salary Cap was a completely different animal, teams were less loathe to trade High Picks, Ryan Miller was simply a better goalie, Steve Ott was a desirable playoff commodity, basically everything was different in a way that doesn’t support your narrative but if you think the situations are remotely similar, you do you. I’ll choose to live in reality.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Just my opinion, I think the Caps would be better off trading for Murray than Fleury. Murray is only 27 and I think the Caps could get the Sens to retain some salary or take a bad contract.
Actually it’s not just YOUR OPINION. I tend to agree. Fleury’s playoff rep is seemingly being re-written by Hawks fans who don’t really care about the playoffs these days anyways. Honestly, I’d try to trade for Corey Crawford before Marc-Andre Fleury.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
No chance. There are multiple teams looking to bid on Fleury as he's basically the only real starter available for a team with cup aspirations. He is going to go for a pretty penny. You're going to have to give up a first round pick or a comparable asset.
I’m going to go out on a limb here and expose myself for welcome ridicule. I’m going on record Right Now that No Team in the League will pay a 1st (higher than 25) for MAF. Book it.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00