OT: Capitals Cinema Club: TV and Movies

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
The Gentlemen was great….Guy Ritchie just delivers the goods…one of my favorite Directors.
He's so strange to me. Undeniable flavor, there are a lot of movies I feel like I've watched and gone "hmm, this has a certain texture to it and the camera moves are... what has Guy Ritchie been up to lately?" and been right, and a few others where I've missed it big time.

I think there's something I like about his style but I have such a hard time placing it. Like, the Sherlock movies aren't what I'd call amazing films but I enjoy something about them. Man from UNCLE was very much up my alley, but sometimes he just does all the same things and misses for whatever reason.

Reactions: Neil Racki

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Actually this inspired me. Epic first seasons for TV show regardless how they jumped the shark (numbering doesn't mean anything it is just a collection).

1. Heroes S1 (writers strike frakked this series)
  2. Hannibal S1 (finale was epic. Crazy to think this was on TV)
  3. Leftovers S1
  4. BSG S1
  5. WW S1
  6. Dark Angel S1 (holy crap s2 jumped the shark)
  7. Dexter S1
  8. GoT S1
  9. Carnival S1
  10. Penny Dreadful S1 (amazing first season probably perfect)

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Actually this inspired me. Epic first seasons for TV show regardless how they jumped the shark (numbering doesn't mean anything it is just a collection).

1. Heroes S1 (writers strike frakked this series)
  2. Hannibal S1 (finale was epic. Crazy to think this was on TV)
  3. Leftovers S1
  4. BSG S1
  5. WW S1
  6. Dark Angel S1 (holy crap s2 jumped the shark)
  7. Dexter S1
  8. GoT S1
  9. Carnival S1
  10. Penny Dreadful S1 (amazing first season probably perfect)
Surprised after all this hype True Detective wasn't on here. I don't know about you specifically but this thread finally got me to watch it after someone said it was like... top tier media.

full disclosure I found it pretty good but not "one of the best seasons of television ever" or whatever the thing that was said earlier in here.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
The 'smoking' faction becomes intolerable in S2. Just give me the portable guided nuke in UT to end all those f'ing characters.
That’s weird, I actually liked S2-3 a little better than S1. It embraced the absurdity of the situation with more humor. I find it’s a difficult show to recommend - the subject matter can be tough and kinda personal.

Shogun - so good. I’m living week to week for this show, lol. My wife watched the old 80s adaptation with her uncle as a girl, and became obsessed. So it occupies a special place.

Reactions: Calicaps

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Surprised after all this hype True Detective wasn't on here. I don't know about you specifically but this thread finally got me to watch it after someone said it was like... top tier media.

full disclosure I found it pretty good but not "one of the best seasons of television ever" or whatever the thing that was said earlier in here.
Crap S1 of TD is amazing. Just forgot it.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Going to try to make a long story short about this one but I watch a youtube channel called Corridor/Corridor Crew that make a lot of VFX related content and I recommend them both for originals (they've done some great in-house render challenges) and reactions, they do a sort of evaluation of good and bad VFX and break it down in ways I find interesting. They've had people in the industry come visit and talk about their life's work in VFX, a recent video had Gareth Edwards in, long story short they're something I like to look at to understand the other side of film.

They had someone come on who worked on Nimona, which is currently on Netflix (as well as Lilo and Stitch, Lion King, and others).I liked watching the breakdown enough to consider the film, and when I went to check it out saw it was on the Oscar list... watched it and I agree. It's PG somehow but I thought for sure it'd be PG-13, got me teary eyed twice, laughed at least 15 times, was surprised how good it was.

Animation worked for me big time, the shapeshifting was handled really fluidly and it's ultimately a little challenging throughout, even the end.

Last edited:
Reactions: Neil Racki and Jags

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
I Think You Should Leave - I tried w this show awhile ago and didnt like it .. retried and watched a few episodes .. just doesnt do it for me. His formula doesnt do it for me.

Random sketch for him - lady waiting at bus stop is staring at a 'Visit Hawaii" poster on bus stop. Tim character, a stranger, who is also waiting for bus says "Wouldnt it be great if we were going there?". Lady says "yeah thatd be great'. They go their separate ways.

The Tims character spends the next year monotonously working to save up money for trip, buys tickets, puts on hawaiin t shirt, sun screen,lai and panama hat and finds stranger lady he hasnt seen since bus stop 1 year prior saying "Im ready!" .. akward look .. end scene.

Zero creativity

Sketch comedy is dead man

----------------

The Leftovers!! oh crap .. me and the wife got into S2 but then stopped .. I think when we had our baby Aaron and just forgot we were watching it.

Thanks.

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
I Think You Should Leave - I tried w this show awhile ago and didnt like it .. retried and watched a few episodes .. just doesnt do it for me. His formula doesnt do it for me.
Yeah this was the worst. I think I made it through about 3 "jokes" and then banished it forever.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I've been having a hard time engaging with things I know are good. Is this something anyone else struggles with?

Like... you come home from work, have limited time, and sometimes you want to sit down and not focus but as a result you just keep watching the same shit. I want to engage with a lot of "new" content that isn't even new anymore. f*** me, I still haven't watched Parasite and I just said I only now got around to True Detective S1.... I don't even have a catchup list, I just constantly hear about and remember things that I meant to watch... then go home and don't watch it.

I've been hooked by numerous things and it's not like I'm not hunting for things to binge, but it's like the higher the expectation is the more focus I feel I should give it, which then makes it a situational thing, which means it often just slips away.

like, I've heard a lot of good stuff about Poor Things, looked great from what I saw. So did Swiss Army Man, another movie I got excited to see and then ultimately never watched.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
like, I've heard a lot of good stuff about Poor Things, looked great from what I saw. So did Swiss Army Man, another movie I got excited to see and then ultimately never watched.
Preaching to the choir for me. The more hype I get about a movie/show .. the more I keep pushing it off until "the moment is perfect".

Poor Things .. perfect example. Wife wants to watch w me so weve been trying to find time to watch it but either one thing or another makes it not the perfect time so we punt and watch an episode of some series and go to bed. Going on for a few months.

Actually started Poor Things a few weeks ago, cocktails in hand, kids asleep .. I got real tired 30 mins in and wasnt feeling the movie and had to crash. And Im a fan of the director and I like his style of weird and I know Poor Things will hit just like lobster and others but im worried, wasnt feeling the 30-40 mins I watched so far.

id rather stumble into a movie with no preconceived notions and have it blow me away

Reactions: HTFN

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad