OT: Capitals Cinema Club: TV and Movies

TheSmokingMan

Nov 20, 2006
Maryland
Actually this inspired me. Epic first seasons for TV show regardless how they jumped the shark (numbering doesn't mean anything it is just a collection).

1. Heroes S1 (writers strike frakked this series)
  2. Hannibal S1 (finale was epic. Crazy to think this was on TV)
  3. Leftovers S1
  4. BSG S1
  5. WW S1
  6. Dark Angel S1 (holy crap s2 jumped the shark)
  7. Dexter S1
  8. GoT S1
  9. Carnival S1
  10. Penny Dreadful S1 (amazing first season probably perfect)

I like all those and I would add:

The Walking Dead
Breaking Bad
Chernobyl (If we are counting shows with only 1 season)

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Tarantino scraping The Movie Critic ... wish he didnt cap his career at 10 films. Dude loves movies, I love his movies ... I get not wanting to turn into a Scorcese of sorts
Big QT fan myself, but I find this kinda funny….this 10 movie thing is dumb….and now that his first try looks (probably) not great, he cuts bait….he’s set this expectation for the last one that’s unrealistic….

Scorsese cranks out good movies….why on earth should he quit if he doesn’t want to? I’d work into my 90s like Eastwood…

Reactions: Neil Racki

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Big QT fan myself, but I find this kinda funny….this 10 movie thing is dumb….and now that his first try looks (probably) not great, he cuts bait….he’s set this expectation for the last one that’s unrealistic….

Scorsese cranks out good movies….why on earth should he quit if he doesn’t want to? I’d work into my 90s like Eastwood…
The premise of that movie seems tremendously underwhelming.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Really been digging Fallout. Not sure why I’ve seen so many gripes about it not following along with all the game storylines. I really wouldn’t want to watch an exact version of the games. I think they’ve done a great job using a majority of the source material so far and I’m only on episode 6 I believe

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Really been digging Fallout. Not sure why I’ve seen so many gripes about it not following along with all the game storylines. I really wouldn’t want to watch an exact version of the games. I think they’ve done a great job using a majority of the source material so far and I’m only on episode 6 I believe
That’s right….doesn’t need to follow exactly IMO….gamer lore nerds though are probably offended by the differences I guess…

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
Finally got around to catching up on some Disney Plus shows. Andor was really really well made. But Season 3 of the Mandalorian is draaaaaaagging.
Have yet to watch it. The more I thought about S2, the more I soured on it for a couple of reasons

1) Too much fan service
2) A number of episodes felt like they were trying to set up spin offs

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Tried to start watching Rebel Moon part two. But the scene where the victorious crew come back to a village straight from the 1400s in a sci-fi movie just kills me. Then lets have a victory feast cause the big bad is dead and immediately no the bad guy ship is coming back in five days. Then formal general guys walks out of the feast hall, and that I wonder if any of the villagers knew who this dude was, and tries to deliver a 300 movie style speech as if they were at the sci-fi version of The Hot Gates. /me hits the back button.

Did finish the Bass Reaves series thought it was decent.

The Red Queen thriller set in Spain was entertaining watched all of it pretty quickly. If one is triggered by homosexual epithets you might want to take a pass on this one.

Finally finished the Welcome to Samdal-ri Korean romance drama series. Not bad basically in the slightly above middle grade for that genre. Shin Hye-sun is the best actor in this one she's been great in a couple of other series I've watched she was in.

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
Baby reindeer on Netflix. All I have to say is wow, very much worth a watch.
Have you watched it all the way through?

I started out enjoying it but it got v f***ing dark and left me feeling kind of depressed. And it's based on real events in his life which makes it even more bleak.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Bone Tomahawk .. disappointed. Was hoping for a visually engaging cinematography type western landscape movie. The dialogue/writing was somewhat engaging but the pace was a slow burn and I need more big screen panaramic cinematography .. then the violence was contained to about 3 short scenes, everything else was 4 dudes talking around a camp fire.

Weird pace .. was there a story arc? I guess white knight saves damsel in distress.

Felt like a low budget movie all shot 30 mins outside LA

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Bone Tomahawk .. disappointed. Was hoping for a visually engaging cinematography type western landscape movie. The dialogue/writing was somewhat engaging but the pace was a slow burn and I need more big screen panaramic cinematography .. then the violence was contained to about 3 short scenes, everything else was 4 dudes talking around a camp fire.

Weird pace .. was there a story arc? I guess white knight saves damsel in distress.

Felt like a low budget movie all shot 30 mins outside LA
Sooooo as a diehard Red Dead fan, it was right up your alley!

I need to do a rewatch….I saw it years ago….just remember the very brutal violence.

And yeah, for a simple set type movie, low budget, a few main actors, has a minimalist feel, but I like that typically….you just can’t typically expect that type of movie to be a cinematography masterpiece….again typically. That’s going in with too high of expectations my man…..I always try to go in with low expectations…..that way, if it’s good, I’m surprised, if it’s just average, I’m not disappointed, because it was still moderately entertaining.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I kept wanting 1st movie to be good. Pacing was slow, action was meh. I'll still watch it b/c my list is running low

Shogun
Together (Tr3ble Winners)
The Gentlemen
Black Sails
Killing Eve
Rebel Moon (I guess)

Shogun - watched episode 1, having a hard time getting hooked
The Gentlemen - very entertaining, bring on season 2
Black Sails - on my short list to start
Killing Eve - loved season 1, lost interest after, need to pickup again someday.
Rebel Moon (I guess) - if you’re a hardcore syfy fan, it’s easy to consume..

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Sooooo as a diehard Red Dead fan, it was right up your alley!

I need to do a rewatch….I saw it years ago….just remember the very brutal violence.

And yeah, for a simple set type movie, low budget, a few main actors, has a minimalist feel, but I like that typically….you just can’t typically expect that type of movie to be a cinematography masterpiece….again typically. That’s going in with too high of expectations my man…..I always try to go in with low expectations…..that way, if it’s good, I’m surprised, if it’s just average, I’m not disappointed, because it was still moderately entertaining.
yeah ... i was playing rdr before watching, killing birds w tomahawks and it triggered me remembering the movie being mentioned here. Im pretty sure 30 seconds in I literally thought "this is just like red dead and its right up my alley!"

I did go in w high expectations, had house to myself and hadnt had a late movie night in awhile .. it was moderately entertaining. All the budget shortcuts was a let down

is what it is .. could have been more. felt like some european movies when they do WW2 but do it on low budget

• Haha
Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad