OT: Capitals Cinema Club: TV and Movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009

Long but great read if you like the movie. Heck I have it on my DVR right now. Think I’ll watch it again.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004

Long but great read if you like the movie. Heck I have it on my DVR right now. Think I’ll watch it again.

I watched it right after Top Gun and it’s the same movie but worse.
2 best movies I’ve watched this pandemic are Portrait of a Lady on Fire and Justice League Dark Apokolips War. They are wildly different movies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Switch to Legion instead of season 3

I was going to take a break after season 2. I like to change it up and as each season is a story, it's easier.

On Legion....I watched part of season 1 and didn't love it. Worth progressing you're saying?

I see it ran 3 seasons. I like that length if it's solid.

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
I was going to take a break after season 2. I like to change it up and as each season is a story, it's easier.

On Legion....I watched part of season 1 and didn't love it. Worth progressing you're saying?

I see it ran 3 seasons. I like that length if it's solid.
The level of action picks up a ton but the weirdness is pretty consistent throughout the series if that put you off. Same show runner as Fargo. Ewen Mcgregor mailed it in for Fargo season 3, it’s like a 7/10 when the 1st 2 seasons are 9/10 and 9.5/10. I’m still pissed Gaga beat Dunst for the GG.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
I watched it right after Top Gun and it’s the same movie but worse.
2 best movies I’ve watched this pandemic are Portrait of a Lady on Fire and Justice League Dark Apokolips War. They are wildly different movies.

Justice League Dark: Apokolips Wars was pretty bad. Surprising, coming from Bruce Timm and DC Animation, who rarely put out bad products. But Apokolips War is an incoherent mess. I hated especially how they treated the character Raven. Just awful.

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
Finally got around to watching The Mandolorian and really enjoyed it.

IG-11 sacrificing him/itself
Bringing in Ming Na Wen only to have her go out like that?

Countless Baby Yoda scenes
Life Day reference
Scout troopers can't shoot and the conversation they had after nabbing Baby Yoda.

A Carbonite machine on his ship? Is that possible?
Can't remove their helmets? Must be a recent thing because they all removed their helmets in Rebels
Ming Na Wen's character not dead?
It's five years after Return of the Jedi (24 after Ep 3), yet the Force is some big secret that no one knows about?
How did the Moff get the Darksaber?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The Old Guard.....not bad.

Fargo season 1 good, season 2 even better.

Cosmos - fun little astronomer’s flick.

Warrior Nun.....torn.....started meh.....finished fairly well, but wouldn’t be surprised if it was one and done.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
We watched The Old Guard this weekend too. It was a solid movie, but I just wanted so much more. The story is very interesting and you want to learn more and more background about the characters. Would have been better suited as a TV series. How sweet would it be to be able to see these characters throughout history and the crazy things they've done.

The ending seems to leave the door open for a possible sequel. Some speculated that Andy's character becoming mortal was to kill her (and Charlize Theron's big salary) off to create a show next instead of a movie

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
We watched The Old Guard this weekend too. It was a solid movie, but I just wanted so much more. The story is very interesting and you want to learn more and more background about the characters. Would have been better suited as a TV series. How sweet would it be to be able to see these characters throughout history and the crazy things they've done.

The ending seems to leave the door open for a possible sequel. Some speculated that Andy's character becoming mortal was to kill her (and Charlize Theron's big salary) off to create a show next instead of a movie

I was totally hoping it was a series...definitely open for a sequel (or prequel).

Reactions: hb12xchamps

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Finally got around to watching The Mandolorian and really enjoyed it.

Spoilers removed (but I read them)

My son is 5, so he's been watching all the Star Wars stuff from Ep I-IX, Solo, Rogue One, Lego Star Wars, all of it. So I've been watching a ton of it also and going back over the old stuff, in light of the new stuff, is fun. My favorite catch is this:

In the original Star Wars, Vader/Tarkin lets the Millenium Falcon leave the Death Star, so they could track it to the rebel base ... something Leia knew at the time, even though the Falcon leaves the Death Star and jumps to light speed. Fast forward to Eps VIII, Last Jedi, and the Resistance folks are shocked, shocked, to learn that the First Order can "track us through light speed, how is that possible???". I'm like "Um, the Death Star did that 42 years ago, try to keep up".

Also, Obi Wan is a damn liar... "I don't seem to remember ever owning a droid" (about when he first meets R2 with Luke on Tatooine). Come on man, that droid saved your ass leaving Naboo, you've known him since you were a teenager.

/end nerd session.

PS, even for adults, Star Wars Lego on Disney is HILARIOUS! My favorite: When Luke, Han and Leia are hanging out in the Mos Eisley Cantina, in the same booth where we first meet Han, hanging above their head is a sign that says "In loving memory of Greedo".

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
The complete Bruce Lee filmography Criterion set is $62.49 at Amazon matching BN.com, came out last Tuesday, would be my #1 all time blu ray movie box set released domestically ahead of the Lone Wolf and Cub anthology or the Mel Brooks set

Last edited:

Team SWOLEvechkin

Oct 4, 2019
Speaking of Taika Waititi, he directed a great and under-the-radar film called Hunt for the Wilder People that I would recommend. It has Sam Neill.

Also, two early 50's movies that I'd highly recommend, The Wages of Fear, and Ace in the Hole. You'll pay for the whole seat, but you'll only need the edge.

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Uncle Buck is an underrated movie.

Dutch is even more so. Every time I watch it, I wonder why the world hasn't caught on to it yet.
thumb_movie-dutch.233x330_q95_box-0,0,338,500.jpg

" You might be the toughest little whacker at the junior high but in my world, you're about as worrisome as a cloudy day."

" You and I are riding in the back seat from now on. Because what that missile twister can teach you, you don't need to learn 'til you're in prison."

"Your angel with the dirty wings flew."

"STUFF YOUR PROBLEMS!"

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Binged Giri/Haji on Netflix. Really ambitious show that snatches you in. Kinda trips over its own feet in the last couple episodes, but ultimately a worthwhile watch. A truly unique TV show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad