OT: Capitals Cinema Club: TV and Movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Finally getting around to The Last Dance....on episode 6/10.

amazing watch.....greatness just drips off of every episode.

I feel like getting something accomplished every time I watch lol....

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Regal Theaters closing is nutty....AMC next? Movie industry is up for massive shifts...
Not surprising. I drove by a Regal today actually for an appointment and I saw two cars in the parking lot on a Friday evening. Movie industry needs to shift it's business model... I probably spent over $100 renting Trolls 2 for my kids during the pandemic but the only movie we've ever seen as a family is Frozen 2.

We also went to a mall today to pick up some coffee we ordered. The mall was empty and the guy working at Nespresso told us that 35% of the stores have already decided to close permanently (the sites in that mall, not necessarily their businesses in some cases). The stock market is doing well but it does not equal the economy and people and businesses are getting crushed; the quantitative easing is giving a false perception of a recovering financial ecosystem. People are losing everything and it's really sad to see.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Regal Theaters closing is nutty....AMC next? Movie industry is up for massive shifts...
AMC was rumored a few months back to be trying to strike some sort of deal with Amazon. The biggest issue is that all the major studios saw what happened to Tenet when it hit theaters a month or so back and had abysmal numbers. They all pushed back their major movies to next year (for now). I personally hope movie theaters don’t go out of business. I still prefer going to a theater to see a big movie release over watching at home.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
AMC was rumored a few months back to be trying to strike some sort of deal with Amazon. The biggest issue is that all the major studios saw what happened to Tenet when it hit theaters a month or so back and had abysmal numbers. They all pushed back their major movies to next year (for now). I personally hope movie theaters don’t go out of business. I still prefer going to a theater to see a big movie release over watching at home.

I'm with you...I'm a hardcore theater goer.....I miss it. Nothing beats the big screen/sound.

Reactions: hb12xchamps

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Last movie I saw in a theater was Midway. Wish I waited to stream it.

oh come on on......if you didn’t at least enjoy the plentiful battle scenes in Midway on the big screen with booming sound like I did......that theater you went to blew lol.

now....if you say you didn’t like the movie and wished you had saved the $, I get that.

I found Midway entertaining myself.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
oh come on on......if you didn’t at least enjoy the plentiful battle scenes in Midway on the big screen with booming sound like I did......that theater you went to blew lol.

now....if you say you didn’t like the movie and wished you had saved the $, I get that.

I found Midway entertaining myself.

The battle scenes were great but the acting performances were annoying. Especially the guy that played Best and the Jonas brother trying to be tough.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Last movie I saw in the theatre was Joker. Definitely worth it. I skipped work on a Friday afternoon and had the place to myself. Really enjoyed myself which I think made me enjoy the movie more than I would have otherwise.

Took the kids to Frozen II during Thanksgiving last year... that was honestly an intense movie for kids five and under in the theatre.

Before that... it’s been a while.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The battle scenes were great but the acting performances were annoying. Especially the guy that played Best and the Jonas brother trying to be tough.

certainly didn’t love the mush in-between, but the war scenes were so over the top good in big sound and screen, that I was happily entertained.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Just not into movies. Even on cable/streaming services I watch maybe 1 or 2 a year. Of course there are movies that I like, but in general, not really my thing.

interesting.....just not a consumer of any movies.....rare bird I would think among digital media consumers.

if you said you weren’t a tv/movie watcher at all that would seem more usual than just not movies....wild.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I believe I saw three movies in theaters in 2019. Avengers, Midsommar, and Rise of Skywalker. Midsommar is, by far, the best of the three.

Haven't seen any in theaters in 2020 for obvious reasons.

Among movies recently mentioned, can't say I was overly impressed with either Ad Astra or The Joker.
Ad Astra should have been right up my alley as a sci fi and space travel nerd, but it just never clicked. Then again, I'm not much of a fan of "Heart of Darkness" and there have been better film adaptations of both that novel and better film takes on the isolation of space.
The Joker just seemed like a film adaptation of every angsty teen and edgy social outcasts inner monologue. "I'll show them all one day!"

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Agreed about Ad Astra didn't quite have the soul of a movie that makes it good. I mean it was no Interstellar, heh. The moon bandit combat sequence was pretty cool have to say but still puzzled why they had drive over to that launch pad instead of flying..have the 4k bluray will see if I missed the plot point.

Reactions: Hivemind

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Interstellar for sure head to head in the smart SYFY genre between those two.....but Ad Astra was still entertaining....

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Ad Astra I think was the last movie I saw in the theater.

Got me pondering the first movie I went to and it was either Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla or Star Wars in '77.

First movie I went to was ET at the old movie theater that used to be on state circle in Annapolis.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Interstellar for sure head to head in the smart SYFY genre between those two.....but Ad Astra was still entertaining....

I agree Interstellar over Ad Astra but Ad Astra is still good. For me though they are two different types of movies. Interstellar is a believable action type space movie in the Gravity (cool movie but pretty unbelievable from a reality standpoint) and Armageddon (which is a complete farce from a reality standpoint) where Ad Astra is a good 2001 A Space Odyssey type mind **** realistic space movie although the part at the end where Brad Pitt uses a nuclear explosion to get back to earth was disappointing and that giant radio tower was cool looking but not very realistic.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad