OT: Capitals Cinema Club: TV and Movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Regarding the SW prequels have to remember Lucas completely funded them himself so had ultimate creative power. As much as some people complain about creative interference by studio execs I do feel kinda feel a what if might have happened on someone calling on the terrible script.

Having people around to say "No" to Lucas during the original trilogy on some of his sillier ideas was definitely something that was lacking in the prequels.

Reactions: Calicaps

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
When it comes down to memorable moments they're neck and neck, possible edge to the prequels but it's hard to say if it's time and nostalgia doing that or if it's just the truth. New trilogy has to take the edge acting and visuals, they're competently made visually and there's less CGI to drag it down. The amount of times actors were on entirely green screened sets is yet another reason the acting is so stiff and odd, there's no scenery to really chew when you can't tell where anything is.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
So is everyone buying into 50 year old, out shape, Queen Latifa kicking ass and taking names?

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
So is everyone buying into 50 year old, out shape, Queen Latifa kicking ass and taking names?
When I saw the commercial I looked at my wife and said “I guess Queen Latifa is some sort of assassin now.” And she replied “yeah right.”

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I thought S2 was an attempt to keep some of the vibe/branding but acknowledge there was no way they could reproduce the genius of S1. Then in S3 they figured "f*** it, we'll just try to make this reminiscent of S1 without being totally derivative". Sort of like Abrams basically copying SW E4 in parallel when making E7.

Oh yeah, go WFT.

/on topic

Like you pointed out, Matthew McCounaghey is one of the biggest WFT fans out there so this is totally on topic.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I feel that way about the Wire. Season one was sooo good it was just really hard to keep it going.

Everytime I see Idris Elba - And he's everywhere now - I always have a voice shouting in my head yelling out "yo Stringer Bell!"

Even if he gets tapped as the new Bond, he'll always be Stringer Bell to me.

Reactions: Corby78

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Everytime I see Idris Elba - And he's everywhere now - I always have a voice shouting in my head yelling out "yo Stringer Bell!"

Even if he gets tapped as the new Bond, he'll always be Stringer Bell to me.

Agreed. Every reasonably important character in that show if I see them somewhere else I think of them as their Wire character. Avon, Stringer, Bunk, McNulty, Bubs, on and on...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad