Post-Game Talk: Capitals at Rangers - March 29 (Moderator advice in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The goals against argument is worthless. We have unbelievable goaltending.

Goals for AND against are the only thing that actually determines the results of a hockey game.

You can't separate the goaltending from the defense. You can't separate the defense from the goaltending. The fact that people try so hard to make a team game into a game made up of individuals is patently absurd.

jgimb

Dec 28, 2012
Our defensemen who are great in their own zone suck at moving the puck, and our best puck movers aren't as reliable in their own zone.

this is where my problem lies stick to your strengths.. Im tired of seeing guys like Staal and Girardi jumping into the rush only to result in an odd man rush..

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Goals for AND against are the only thing that actually determines the results of a hockey game.

You can't separate the goaltending from the defense. You can't separate the defense from the goaltending. The fact that people try so hard to make a team game into a game made up of individuals is patently absurd.

Of course you can. They're two totally different positions.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
That isn't how hockey works.

Either way, what the **** does this discussion matter at this point?

I responded to a poster that questioned my reasoning.

All you had to do was scroll up and read.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
We are a team with two good goalies. Why even make the argument now? It doesn't apply since our defense as a whole, regardless of where you think there are strengths and weaknesses, is very good.

Every single stat except goals against says the contrary and that's heavily goaltending-dependent.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
The Rangers, having the 4th best team sv% at ES since 2007, without any reasonable doubt, clouds judgement regarding this team's defense.

There are very compelling cases to be made that this defense isn't that good.

Last edited by a moderator:

RangerDude

Mar 8, 2015
The Rangers, having the 4th best team sv% at ES since 2007, without any reasonable doubt, clouds judgement regarding this team's defense.

Using numbers that don't make sense and don't jive with the coaches decisions, the GM decisions, respected hockey analysts around the league and some savvy posters here. You are o fer.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Every single stat except goals against says the contrary and that's heavily goaltending-dependent.

Goals is all that matters in the actual games. Its really just nitpicking at this point. Start complaining if we are on the verge of losing a playoff series. Right now, its complaining for the sake of it.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Goals is all that matters in the actual games. Its really just nitpicking at this point. Start complaining if we are on the verge of losing a playoff series. Right now, its complaining for the sake of it.

If we don't see significant changes in certain player's games, we will be out in the playoffs, and very quickly.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Trading Higgins + McDonagh for Scott Gomez was a good decision because an NHL GM did it.

You can find countless other examples where professionals **** up, they're not remotely infallible.

---

Like I said, would love nothing more than to be proven wrong. I will eat crow for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

You let these advanced stats cloud your judgement way too much.

It doesn't happen by accident that we are usually among the very best in least GAA. It's also doesn't happen by accident that announcer after announcer, analyst after analyst, journalist after journalist mentions how good our defense is all the time.

There has been no reasonable indication that we aren't one of the best defenses in the league. Anyone can find something to nitpick about any hockey player or hockey team in the history of the NHL.

You guys really need to stop going crazy. As long as we are healthy, we should be fine heading into the playoffs. Guess what? Other teams have weaknesses as well. We happen to have less weaknesses than them.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Oh I believe, but I would believe you more if you don't hide in a message board. Be out there and sell your skills.

Yes I'm sure I could sell people on a 23 year old GM who's never played a game above pee wee. Doesn't mean I don't know the game.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
You let these advanced stats cloud your judgement way too much.

It doesn't happen by accident that we are usually among the very best in least GAA. It's also doesn't happen by accident that announcer after announcer, analyst after analyst, journalist after journalist mentions how good our defense is all the time.

I literally, totally, 1000%, don't give a single fraction of a **** what Sam, Joe, Pat Leonard, Larry Brooks, Steve Zipay, Doc Emerick, Pierre McGuire, or anybody else thinks of my team and their defense.

There has been no reasonable indication that we aren't one of the best defenses in the league. Anyone can find something to nitpick about any hockey player or hockey team in the history of the NHL.

Tons of statistical evidence is not "nitpicking".

You guys really need to stop going crazy. As long as we are healthy, we should be fine heading into the playoffs. Guess what? Other teams have weaknesses as well. We happen to have less weaknesses than them.

Our right side is bottom 10 in the NHL and half our D get leprosy when they touch the puck.

That's a rather large weakness.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
If we don't see significant changes in certain player's games, we will be out in the playoffs, and very quickly.

Why do you just assume we are the only team with weaknesses? You don't think Habs fans, Ducks fans, Blues fans are thinking the same thing about their team? In recent seasons, we've won the third most playoff series behind the Kings and Blackhawks. We've also been the best team in the NHL this season, and still have the best chance to win the President's trophy.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I literally, totally, 1000%, don't give a single fraction of a **** what Sam, Joe, Pat Leonard, Larry Brooks, Steve Zipay, Doc Emerick, Pierre McGuire, or anybody else thinks of my team and their defense.

The rest of them no, but Sam would actually be the first person to say we're in our own ****ing zone all night. :laugh:

When we're getting outshot he sits there and counts them.

RangerDude

Mar 8, 2015
Yes I'm sure I could sell people on a 23 year old GM who's never played a game above pee wee. Doesn't mean I don't know the game.

You probably know if enough to screw it up royally many times, until you learn that this is not as easy as it sounds on these boards. Then I have no doubt you will be a good hockey man. But get involved in the business first, you never know what you might learn.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Why do you just assume we are the only team with weaknesses? You don't think Habs fans, Ducks fans, Blues fans are thinking the same thing about their team? In recent seasons, we've won the third most playoff series behind the Kings and Blackhawks. We've also been the best team in the NHL this season, and still have the best chance to win the President's trophy.
I do think they are, and rightfully so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad