Post-Game Talk: Capitals at Rangers - March 29 (Moderator advice in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
These criticisms of the defense have been popping up the ENTIRE season, even after wins. As much as I pump Boyle's tires, he's a band-aid over losing Stralman, great in some areas but cannot handle the kind of assignments that Anton could.

Our #1C and #1D have regressed in certain ways. They both need to step it up to make it out of the East.

Yandle will be fine, he's playing with scrubs right now.

Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
These criticisms of the defense have been popping up the ENTIRE season, even after wins. As much as I pump Boyle's tires, he's a band-aid over losing Stralman, great in some areas but cannot handle the kind of assignments that Anton could.

Our #1C and #1D have regressed in certain ways. They both need to step it up to make it out of the East.

I can agree with that. I love Boyle and he's a great player, but Stralman is an elite player.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
I am very worried about the Jets and Wild games that are coming up. Playing any WC team is dangerous. The Jets have been rolling. The Wild find ways to win and they looked pretty good against a desperate LA team yesterday. If the Rangers come out with the same type of effort as they have shown this weekend, those games will not be pretty.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
A little concerned that the team didn't match the compete level of the two teams this weekend.

No where near as bad a Boston, but the defensive lapses and the perimeter effort on offense are most concerning.

I would definitely look to question some of the guys that are playing afraid of getting touched.

That includes Yandle and Nash in particular. On defense... McD is slipping again and the Rangers really miss Klein's shutdown ability... its really throwing the minutes off.

A lot of guys are indecisive when taking the shot. Need more guys to start thinking shoot 1st.

Team isn't scoring the dirty goals and the forwards aren't going into the high scoring areas (looking at Nash and Kreider in particular).

On the coaching: Why in the world is Yandle paired with the soft scrub... turnovers abound.

From a coaching perspective the staff gets to deal with a little adversity.

Arniel better be practicing the power play the next few times out. Give McD a maintenance day or two.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
At least Stepan was good for part of the season. He was a PPG for most of it. He's been horrific recently. Marty had been pretty bad for most of the season.

Marty is a finisher who at this point is a mediocre possession player. Anybody expecting more was doomed from the start. That's what we've gotten.

Stepan is a 1C who is supposed to carry his line, and he has Glass-like possession stats.

One of these guys is meeting realistic expectations. The other is falling miles short.

RangerDude

Mar 8, 2015
Criticizing the defense is cool and all, but what I am not reading is the forwards to backcheck, help out the defense when they are under pressure.
When they get the puck in the o zone, do not turn it over or when they do (They have been doing that a lot lately), pressure the opposing defense, do not just allow them an easy rush up the ice (They have been doing that a lot lately too).

Defenders, like goalies are easy targets, but the forwards need to pull their weight.

Nah .... that's asking too much.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Does anyone else remember when the only reason our advanced stats Swedes supposedly liked Stralman over Girardi was a pro-Swede bias? As early as last year. The gritty good ole' Canadian boy Girardi was the only guy on earth that could play with McDonagh and handle those assignments and advanced stats were the devil's work. I love it. Maybe it wasn't the Swedes that had the bias.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Criticizing the defense is cool and all, but what I am not reading is the forwards to backcheck, help out the defense when they are under pressure.
When they get the puck in the o zone, do not turn it over or when they do (They have been doing that a lot lately), pressure the opposing defense, do not just allow them an easy rush up the ice (They have been doing that a lot lately too).

Defenders, like goalies are easy targets, but the forwards need to pull their weight.

Nah .... that's asking too much.
Come on half the posts in our GDTs are about how ****** Stepan and Nash have been.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Does anyone else remember when the only reason our advanced stats Swedes supposedly liked Stralman over Girardi was a pro-Swede bias? As early as last year. The gritty good ole' Canadian boy Girardi was the only guy on earth that could play with McDonagh and handle those assignments and advanced stats were the devil's work. I love it. Maybe it wasn't the Swedes that had the bias.

IIRC Mint had compared Stralman to Lisstrom.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Regardless. Mint and the other guy (BleedBlueSomething) were saying how great it would be to have Stralman play with McDonagh due to their advanced stats. But NO! No way could soft Euro Swede manage to play against the tough competition. Only the gritty good ole' Canadian boy that likes to block shots can do it. Advanced stats don't mean anything. :laugh:

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
HUR DUR the Rangers are top in GA/G therefore the defense is blameless.

I don't know about some people, but when I see the defense constantly getting hemmed into their zone, unable to break up a forecheck, unable to transition the puck, letting the other team put on a shooting clinic, it doesn't exactly inspire confidence in me.

By the way, preventing goals isn't the defensemen's only job. They have to be able to help transition the puck up ice, something that most of our defensemen have no clue how to do.

Beautifully written. This is something that's been trying to be expressed all season, but people just tell specific posters to shut up and watch the games, not stat sheets.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
As hyperbolic as that is, Stralman seemingly never made mistakes, so it's not ridiculous in that and only that facet.

---

Anyway, what's done is done. Just gotta hope McDonagh can step up his game, because it's getting dangerously close to crunch time.

Boyle, Yandle, Staal have been fine IMO, and I don't include Girardi because he goes as McDonagh goes.

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
Beautifully written. This is something that's been trying to be expressed all season, but people just tell specific posters to shut up and watch the games, not stat sheets.

ok well i think one could argue a lot of our goals this year have been off the transition game/fast breaks.. all teams are flawed and have areas they need to work on.. we've allowed some of the fewest GA and among the most GF in the league with a top 2/3 in differential.. with that said, can someone explain the issues we have? or are we going to continue to knit pick and after a few losses like the sky is falling.. oh and my favorite we need stralman back after every loss..

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Stepan and brassard are our Bergeron and kreijci... Stepan is always gunna be the shut down guy and brass will be the scorer

Open Mind

Nov 14, 2014

Yandle will be fine, he's playing with scrubs right now.

And I don't agree with it. Often, in my observation at least, when our D looks like crap it's an awful lot to do with the forwards hanging them to dry and the guys on the ice, as a result, not playing in units of 5. Forwards guilty of lazy back checks and lazy coverage in their own zone, forwards being way too far up the ice and not giving the d-men effective outlets, and the D at times looks like they're out there 2-on-5.

Some forwards, Nash and Zucc as examples, routinely back check hard and play hard in their own end. Some often do neither or simply aren't too effective at it. Our team looks infinitely better when the forwards commit to play the entire length of the ice the entire game and we play in more effective units of 5; our team and the d-men in particular look vastly worse when a number of the forwards do not play hard the entire length of the ice.

If I've had any complaint this season, I have it more than any other thing with the forwards who float a bit and hang the d-men out to dry and make it look like defensive zone chaos out there. Just my observation and anyone can feel free to disagree. But that's what my eyes have seen all season when the team gets hemmed in and look like headless chickens: forwards not properly aiding the D and the D being asked to do way too much.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
And I don't agree with it. Often, in my observation at least, when our D looks like crap it's an awful lot to do with the forwards hanging them to dry and the guys on the ice, as a result, not playing in units of 5. Forwards guilty of lazy back checks and lazy coverage in their own zone, forwards being way too far up the ice and not giving the d-men effective outlets, and the D at times looks like they're out there 2-on-5.

Some forwards, Nash and Zucc as examples, routinely back check hard and play hard in their own end. Some often do neither or simply aren't too effective at it. Our team looks infinitely better when the forwards commit to play the entire length of the ice the entire game and we play in more effective units of 5; our team and the d-men in particular look vastly worse when a number of the forwards do not play hard the entire length of the ice.

If I've had any complaint this season, I have it more than any other thing with the forwards who float a bit and hang the d-men out to dry and make it look like defensive zone chaos out there. Just my observation and anyone can feel free to disagree. But that's what my eyes have seen all season when the team gets hemmed in and look like headless chickens: forwards not properly aiding the D and the D being asked to do way too much.
I don't disagree with this at all but again this issues starts and ends with Stepan's line. The Hayes line is a 3rd scoring line, they're not going to be great defensively, but neither was Brassard's line last year.

And the 4th line, well, we all know what's wrong there...

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
The team's possession woes really aren't hard to figure out.

Marc Staal - -4.1 CF% rel, 1st on the team in ES/TOI GP

Dan Girardi - -5.2 CF% rel, 2nd on the team in ES/TOI GP

Derek Stepan - -5.8 CF% rel, 4th on the team in ES/TOI GP for forwards

It's just that, people see the players struggling the most are among our most important players, yet the team still wins; therefore, the stats are wrong. Not really, they catch up to everybody.

HUR DUR the Rangers are top in GA/G therefore the defense is blameless.

I don't know about some people, but when I see the defense constantly getting hemmed into their zone, unable to break up a forecheck, unable to transition the puck, letting the other team put on a shooting clinic, it doesn't exactly inspire confidence in me.

You aren't alone.

By the way, preventing goals isn't the defensemen's only job. They have to be able to help transition the puck up ice, something that most of our defensemen have no clue how to do.

Bingo.

If it was, Staal would be a superstar. Too bad there's a lot more to hockey than playing in your own zone.

Yeah, not to be bleak, because it's not something that can be fixed, but this defense is pretty much set. McDonagh has really needed to step it up this year after losing Stralman, and the opposite has happened.

It's attached to the archaic and outdated view point that a defenseman's only job is to defend and be good in their own zone, something this front office has bought into in the extreme.

I'm still amazed at keeping Girtardi and letting Stralman go, utterly befuddled.

It worries me because this front office probably like what they see re: these players, because that's the only expectation they have of them.

Add to that, any regression in McDonagh's play, and Girardi's flaws are exposed.

And I'm amazed that this is such a non-issue to so many posters here.

"As McDonagh goes, Girardi goes" isn't and was never a good thing......

And I don't know about some people, but there are more than just defenders on the ice .... you know forwards who are supposed to put some pressure on the opposing D and occasionally score goals.

The Rangers forwards are among the best backchecking units in the NHL.

The problem is they play in a system where the defensemen are supposed to spring them with quick outlets, which this defense just can't do. They leave the zone so quickly and leave their d-men because that's exactly what the system is, not because of some bull **** like "they don't care about defense". The problem here, is that any hint of pressure forces a turnover against 3/4 of this top 4. You can't leave them realistically because they can't be trusted to make good outlet passes, but their whole game is predicated on rushing the puck. It's jamming a round peg into a square hole.

This defense can't move the puck quickly to alleviate forecheck pressure because they ****ing suck at it, it has nothing to do with irresponsible forwards.

Why do you think the Kings and Isles kill us with their forechecking? This defense is trash at puck moving. It's really that simple.

Last edited:

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
The team's possession woes really aren't hard to figure out.

Marc Staal - -4.1 CF% rel, 1st on the team in ES/TOI GP

Dan Girardi - -5.2 CF% rel, 2nd on the team in ES/TOI GP

Derek Stepan - -5.8 CF% rel, 4th on the team in ES/TOI GP for forwards

It's just that, people see the players struggling the most are among our most important players, yet the team still wins; therefore, the stats are wrong. Not really, they catch up to everybody.

You aren't alone.

Bingo.

If it was, Staal would be a superstar. Too bad there's a lot more to hockey than playing in your own zone.

It's attached to the archaic and outdated view point that a defenseman's only job is to defend and be good in their own zone, something this front office has bought into in the extreme.

I'm still amazed at keeping Girtardi and letting Stralman go, utterly befuddled.

It worries me because this front office probably like what they see re: these players, because that's the only expectation they have of them.

And I'm amazed that this is such a non-issue to so many posters here.

"As McDonagh goes, Girardi goes" isn't and was never a good thing......

The Rangers forwards are among the best backchecking units in the NHL.

The problem is they play in a system where the defensemen are supposed to spring them with quick outlets, which this defense just can't do. They leave the zone so quickly and leave their d-men because that's exactly what the system is, not because of some bull **** like "they don't care about defense". The problem here, is that any hint of pressure forces a turnover against 3/4 of this top 4. You can't leave them realistically because they can't be trusted to make good outlet passes, but their whole game is predicated on rushing the puck. It's jamming a round peg into a square hole.

This defense can't move the puck quickly to alleviate forecheck pressure because they ****ing suck at it, it has nothing to do with irresponsible forwards.

Why do you think the Kings and Isles kill us with their forechecking? This defense is trash at puck moving. It's really that simple.
Borderline kerfuffled. :sarcasm:

10/10 post

Honestly it might be time to do a heavy shake up on the pairings because Boyle and Yandle are our best puckmovers

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad