Post-Game Talk: Capitals at Rangers - March 29 (Moderator advice in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
They're tired, guys. Relax.

The schedule read 8 games in 12 days, 11 in 18.

That's insane.

Insane at this time a year where a sneeze can injure a guy.

They should seriously think about resting guys once the division is clinched. Or cut back shifts.

Agreed, I think thats what AV was doing sending Glass out there down 2 in the third; or at least I hope.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The team's possession woes really aren't hard to figure out.

Marc Staal - -4.1 CF% rel, 1st on the team in ES/TOI GP

Dan Girardi - -5.2 CF% rel, 2nd on the team in ES/TOI GP

Derek Stepan - -5.8 CF% rel, 4th on the team in ES/TOI GP for forwards

The problem is we're still finishing first in our division, our division pretty much sucks at this point, and we have Hank, so I could still easily see us in round 3 where we would get bombarded (see: 2012). That's a good enough year for management to refuse to address anything like the Ducks do every offseason.

RangersOwnNewYork*

They're tired, guys. Relax.

The schedule read 8 games in 12 days, 11 in 18.

That's insane.

Insane at this time a year where a sneeze can injure a guy.

They should seriously think about resting guys once the division is clinched. Or cut back shifts.

I agree 100%. That is a lot of hockey. They looked gassed in the 3rd period today. Unfortunately it doesn't get any easier because they play their last 7 games in a 12 day span. It pisses me off too. How many times did this team have 3 and 4 days off this year and now they have to play their last 18 games in about 30 days. Crazy.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI

It's just that, people see the players struggling the most are among our most important players, yet the team still wins; therefore, the stats are wrong. Not really, they catch up to everybody.

You aren't alone.

Bingo.

If it was, Staal would be a superstar. Too bad there's a lot more to hockey than playing in your own zone.

It's attached to the archaic and outdated view point that a defenseman's only job is to defend and be good in their own zone, something this front office has bought into in the extreme.

I'm still amazed at keeping Girtardi and letting Stralman go, utterly befuddled.

It worries me because this front office probably like what they see re: these players, because that's the only expectation they have of them.

And I'm amazed that this is such a non-issue to so many posters here.

"As McDonagh goes, Girardi goes" isn't and was never a good thing......

The Rangers forwards are among the best backchecking units in the NHL.

The problem is they play in a system where the defensemen are supposed to spring them with quick outlets, which this defense just can't do. They leave the zone so quickly and leave their d-men because that's exactly what the system is, not because of some bull **** like "they don't care about defense". The problem here, is that any hint of pressure forces a turnover against 3/4 of this top 4. You can't leave them realistically because they can't be trusted to make good outlet passes, but their whole game is predicated on rushing the puck. It's jamming a round peg into a square hole.

This defense can't move the puck quickly to alleviate forecheck pressure because they ****ing suck at it, it has nothing to do with irresponsible forwards.

Why do you think the Kings and Isles kill us with their forechecking? This defense is trash at puck moving. It's really that simple.

Great post again Ras. Pretty much nailed it.

RangersOwnNewYork*

It's just that, people see the players struggling the most are among our most important players, yet the team still wins; therefore, the stats are wrong. Not really, they catch up to everybody.

You aren't alone.

Bingo.

If it was, Staal would be a superstar. Too bad there's a lot more to hockey than playing in your own zone.

It's attached to the archaic and outdated view point that a defenseman's only job is to defend and be good in their own zone, something this front office has bought into in the extreme.

I'm still amazed at keeping Girtardi and letting Stralman go, utterly befuddled.

It worries me because this front office probably like what they see re: these players, because that's the only expectation they have of them.

And I'm amazed that this is such a non-issue to so many posters here.

"As McDonagh goes, Girardi goes" isn't and was never a good thing......

The problem is they play in a system where the defensemen are supposed to spring them with quick outlets, which this defense just can't do. They leave the zone so quickly and leave their d-men because that's exactly what the system is, not because of some bull **** like "they don't care about defense". The problem here, is that any hint of pressure forces a turnover against 3/4 of this top 4. You can't leave them realistically because they can't be trusted to make good outlet passes, but their whole game is predicated on rushing the puck. It's jamming a round peg into a square hole.

This defense can't move the puck quickly to alleviate forecheck pressure because they ****ing suck at it, it has nothing to do with irresponsible forwards.

Why do you think the Kings and Isles kill us with their forechecking? This defense is trash at puck moving. It's really that simple.

Didn't this defense have both Staal and Girardi last year and made it to the finals? Losing Stralman was big but aren't Boyle and Yandle more than capable of moving the puck? This team is every bit as good as last years team.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Didn't this defense have both Staal and Girardi last year and made it to the finals? Losing Stralman was big but aren't Boyle and Yandle more than capable of moving the puck? This team is every bit as good as last years team.

McDonagh and Stralman were there to carry both of those guys, Stralman isn't here and McDonagh isn't here either, the real McDonagh anyway.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

Boyle is very capable. He's not Anton Stralman. Anton Stralman is a top 5 defensive player in the whole league.

Yandle is overrated as a puck mover. Half the time his homerun passes work and he gets an assist and everyone loves him. The other half it's going back towards our goalie. That's not good enough. And he absolutely refuses to move it with his feet, which is just absurd because he has blinding speed. He's afraid to get hit.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013

Staal was carried by Stralman and Girardi is useless without McDonagh. McDonagh shredding Montreal while Staal and Girardi **** themselves all over the ice is why we advanced.

Yandle and Boyle can move the puck but they take a lot of risks. Which isn't necessarily bad, but you need players that can move the puck safely to a forward.

I really don't agree.

RangersOwnNewYork*

McDonagh and Stralman were there to carry both of those guys, Stralman isn't here and McDonagh isn't here either, the real McDonagh anyway.

I too miss Stralman but I still feel when Kline returns this D is as good and deep as almost any in the league. Rumors of their demise are greatly exaggerated.

RangersOwnNewYork*

Sorry guys I disagree.

MacD - Girardi
Stall - Boyle
Yandle - Kline

How many teams would want to have the skill, experience, and pedigree of that blue line? I'm going to guess its more than just a few.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Sorry guys I disagree.

MacD - Girardi
Stall - Boyle
Yandle - Kline

How many teams would want to have the skill, experience, and pedigree of that blue line? I'm going to guess its more than just a few.

There's two guys in the top 4 that break out in poison ivy when they touch the puck, and 3 with 2015 McDonagh playing.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Sorry guys I disagree.

MacD - Girardi
Stall - Boyle
Yandle - Kline

There are 7-8 teams that I would be perfectly okay swapping defenses with.

Our defense has been overrated for years.

RangersOwnNewYork*

There's two guys in the top 4 that break out in poison ivy when they touch the puck, and 3 with 2015 McDonagh playing.

And yet we are still top 5 in GA/G and still may be the top seed in the east even though a lot of our forwards have been playing like **** for long periods. I just think the Dmen get a lot more **** then is deserved.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Can you guys calm down? We've best in the best team in the NHL for a few months now, we have the most talented roster and we have a roster with a lot of playoff experience.

Every team, and I mean every single team thats ever played in the NHL has had a weakness or two. You guys say Girardi, Staal and Klein can't pass the puck. Well guess what? Anaheim can't defend, Montreal can't score outside of one or two lines, LA might not even make the playoffs, etc.

I'm more worried about our injured players not being back in time for the playoffs than I am with the current players on the roster. Icing Glass and Hunwick/Summers is a much bigger concern to me than Girardi and Staal's ability with the puck or Nash's playoff woes.

RangersOwnNewYork*

There are 7-8 teams that I would be perfectly okay swapping defenses with.

Our defense has been overrated for years.

So then you would say that our defense is better than 22 or 23 other teams and we are in the top 3rd in the league. I agree with that.

RangerDude

Mar 8, 2015

Dude, I didn't say anything about backchecking in the post you are responding to. What gives?
this is what I said
you know forwards who are supposed to put some pressure on the opposing D and occasionally score goals.

When the forwards feel like it they made many vaunted PMD's look silly when they are putting in the work to forecheck, but they don't do it consistently. That has nothing to do with whether defense can move the puck.

And yet we are still top 5 in GA/G and still may be the top seed in the east even though a lot of our forwards have been playing like **** for long periods. I just think the Dmen get a lot more **** then is deserved.

The Rangers are ranked #19 in CF%, but top 5 in GF%.
There is stronger correlation between GF% and the actual hockey being played than whether the team gets outshot or not.
But the FancyStats crowd don't want to hear that.

Sounds ass-backwards, but being a defenseman isn't just about defense anymore.
And what is being a forward about?

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Yeah, like in 2011-2012 when we had a great goal differential but horrible possession numbers. Worked out fantastic.

Edit: Being a defenseman isn't just about being good in your own zone, it's about being able to get it OUT as well.

Whatever if Stralman's time here + his time in Tampa isn't enough to convince anyone, then I'm over it. Would love nothing more than to be wrong about it.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
4 losses in the last 6 games after 2 bare wins against BS and Florida. We are officially on a cold streak.

jgimb

Dec 28, 2012
wow another stinker we really cant string a pass together out of our zone.. also to rub salt in the wound our defence are having serious issues with the pinch game. Some serious idiotic plays were they have no chance on picking up the puck and don't take the body either... still confident with this team just don't think we have looked that good over the last few weeks besides the ducks game. I still think the Ottawa game wasn't our best performance either.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Staal was carried by Stralman and Girardi is useless without McDonagh. McDonagh shredding Montreal while Staal and Girardi **** themselves all over the ice is why we advanced.

That isn't how hockey works.

Either way, what the **** does this discussion matter at this point?

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Our defensemen who are great in their own zone suck at moving the puck, and our best puck movers aren't as reliable in their own zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad