Post-Game Talk: Capitals 5, Penguins 3: And Now We Wait on the Mad Hatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The situation with Pets is what it is. That said . . .

See the cap thread.

My 2 moves right now:

1. A partner for Marino.

2. A top 6 winger (doesn't need to be a stud, but a more legit fit) for either Zucker-Sid OR Malkin-Horny and then slide Rust up with Zucker-Sid.

Don't bother wasting assets on anything else, because it's as likely to do harm as good on a healthy Pens roster.

P.S.: My friend @pixiesfanyo's sentiments to the contrary notwithstanding, Rust-Malkin-Horny >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kahun-Malkin-Rust, not because Kahun isn't a good player but because Malkin is a better player working with the Rust-Horny combo, no matter how flawed it might be.

Kahun probably brings more on LW for that line then Rust does and it opens up Zucker - Sid - Rust

Reactions: HandshakeLin

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The sad thing is I'm not sure that JJ isn't the best option for Letang's LD partner right now. Who else? Pets? I may die of laughter. Riikola? He got one shift in the Leafs game, and that ended with a blown assignment on Kapanen's breakaway goal (which I suspect is why he hasn't played since).

yeah, the options aren’t good but if Marino comes back before Dumo, I’m definitely going with Marino -Letang immediately and dropping JJ down the lineup...

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
The situation with Pets is what it is. That said . . .

See the cap thread.

My 2 moves right now:

1. A partner for Marino.

2. A top 6 winger (doesn't need to be a stud, but a more legit fit) for either Zucker-Sid OR Malkin-Horny and then slide Rust up with Zucker-Sid.

Don't bother wasting assets on anything else, because it's as likely to do harm as good on a healthy Pens roster.

P.S.: My friend @pixiesfanyo's sentiments to the contrary notwithstanding, Rust-Malkin-Horny >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kahun-Malkin-Rust, not because Kahun isn't a good player but because Malkin is a better player working with the Rust-Horny combo, no matter how flawed it might be.

There’s nothing left to make those trades. Plus no general manger would overhaul a team to that degree this late into the season. Especially with Pittsburgh’s record. This is spam.

What a fantasy!

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
This team is just stupid and I'm starting to think it starts with the HC. You are going into the 3rd with a 1 goal lead and PP. The one thing that can't happen. Anything can happen but this and it happens. Your putting the whole game into Petts hands and him getting a dump deep. You got Schultz playing 3rd forward. You realize how much can go wrong on a play like that. It's just idiotic to even put yourself in a high risk like that with a 1 goal lead.

q7dazj2.jpg

I don't blame the other Pens on the ice for that particular play because Pettersson literally skated the puck to where the only two Caps forwards were when he literally had two guys wide open on the right side. He had all the time in the world to either dump it in or move it to the right side, but instead he waited to pass until literally (yes, a third time) Backstrom/Wilson were on top of him. Nothing bad happens on that particular play if he doesn't decide to skate the puck into the forecheckers.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
@DocEmrickSkitters and @pixiesfanyo . . . I thought about Zucker-Sid-Rust and Kahun-Malkin-Horny during the game. That OR Kahun in Simon's place seem like the two best options absent any additions to the top 6.

The question is what you do when Jake returns. Zucker to L2? Jake? And, if Jake is with Malkin, I'd rather have Rust on the other wing, which kind of puts Sid back where he started. But, I suppose that's a bridge you cross when you come to it.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
There’s nothing left to make those trades. Plus no general manger would overhaul a team to that degree this late into the season. Especially with Pittsburgh’s record. This is spam.

What a fantasy!

There's Murray. If you move Murray now for a first+ you can package the assets or our other non-Poulin stuff to land at least one of those things.

There's also McCann who doesn't seem to have a place here but could also be moved for a first-rounder or equivalent. It looks like I was wrong on him being a natural winger unfortunately.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
@DocEmrickSkitters and @pixiesfanyo . . . I thought about Zucker-Sid-Rust and Kahun-Malkin-Horny during the game. That OR Kahun in Simon's place seem like the two best options absent any additions to the top 6.

The question is what you do when Jake returns. Zucker to L2? Jake? And, if Jake is with Malkin, I'd rather have Rust on the other wing, which kind of puts Sid back where he started. But, I suppose that's a bridge you cross when you come to it.

Assuming no other changes, next year you run:
Jake-Malkin-Rust
Zucker-Sid-Kahun. Or if you want to get freaky, swap Tanev for Kahun.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
There's Murray. If you move Murray now for a first+ you can package the assets or our other non-Poulin stuff to land at least one of those things.

There's also McCann who doesn't seem to have a place here but could also be moved for a first-rounder or equivalent. It looks like I was wrong on him being a natural winger unfortunately.

Murray isn't going before the deadline, but you'll need to move a goalie this summer, in which case you'll be able to recoup some dealt assets.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Assuming no other changes, next year you run:
Jake-Malkin-Rust
Zucker-Sid-Kahun. Or if you want to get freaky, swap Tanev for Kahun.

No way Jake plays with Malkin in this scenario, no matter how much Jake-Malkin-Rust carried this team or how dominant it was.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017

are you trading Murray this year? Like by tomorrow?

Who’s our third line center in you trade McCann?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

The real issue is do Zucker and Rust fit,

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
No way Jake plays with Malkin in this scenario, no matter how much Jake-Malkin-Rust carried this team or how dominant it was.

Right now, Geno > Sid at ES. That means I'm going to list him first in these hypothetical line-builds and also going to give him access our best winger.

That says a lot about how Geno has bounced back. But just as much about how bad Sid's 200 foot game has been.

Edit: also you're probably right about Murray. Perhaps that's how JR should look at it. Deal what you have to now outside of Poulin knowing you're going to get the equivalent of 2 1sts back for Murray + McCann (separately, of course) this summer to replenish things a bit.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Yes, quit your Saad dream. It's not happening. :laugh:

Is Saad not on JR's radar? Because according to (I think) Friedman, Chicago might be willing to deal him.

IMO, he would have been a better fit for the team than Zucker. Not that I'm turning on Zucker or anything, but even before the trade I commented on which one I'd prefer.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
are you trading Murray this year? Like by tomorrow?

Who’s our third line center in you trade McCann?

If a team wants him, sure. Sounds like Colorado has been sniffing around for a while.

Teddy is our team's 3rd line center. Like it or not, it's the reality.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Right now, Geno > Sid at ES. That means I'm going to list him first in these hypothetical line-builds and also going to give him access our best winger.

That says a lot about how Geno has bounced back. But just as much about how bad Sid's 200 foot game has been.

Sid isn't right physically. Yes, I know, you get the bursts and him overpowering someone now and then, but it's pretty clear the core muscle surgery, as expected, isn't something he came back from at 100% old school Sid.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Sid isn't right physically. Yes, I know, you get the bursts and him overpowering someone now and then, but it's pretty clear the core muscle surgery, as expected, isn't something he came back from at 100% old school Sid.

This is why they gotta quit saddling him with Dominik "30 points on the top line" Simon. Sid needs someone on his line who can do more of the heavy lifting than he usually needs, and the answer right now is a guy who's on pace for 30 points and probably won't hit 10 goals.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
This is why they gotta quit saddling him with Dominik "30 points on the top line" Simon. Sid needs someone on his line who can do more of the heavy lifting than he usually needs, and the answer right now is a guy who's on pace for 30 points and probably won't hit 10 goals.

That's not Zucker either.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
If a team wants him, sure. Sounds like Colorado has been sniffing around for a while.

Teddy is our team's 3rd line center. Like it or not, it's the reality.

who’s our fourth line center then?

Why are taking our goaltending as a strength and making it a major weakness for a playoff run?

that’s not how you win.

The original post identified a need sure but not a solution based on reality.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
That's not Zucker either.

Yep. Zucker's the guy on the line they spring for quick strikes and who finishes plays. He's not the guy who's going to create chances for his linemates. So right now they're using Simon as that guy who carries the puck and tries to create offense.

Simon's better in a supporting role. If Jake were healthy then he might be okay (though I still don't like his lack of finish) as the third wheel. But without that other "creative" guy on that line, his game does very little for that line.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad