Post-Game Talk: Capitals 5, Penguins 3: And Now We Wait on the Mad Hatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
By the transitive property, you're now officially Snoop Dogg. Sorry, that's the rules.

giphy.gif

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Pets was the only LD with whom Marino didn't look like a stud this year. Yes, I know, they had some nice games, ya da ya da . . .

@KIRK would you feel bad if we moved Petts so soon after extending him? I mean, he's gonna get paid now and we got him that opportunity...I wouldn't feel too bad if it isn't here.

I'm still enamored with the idea of running a Nashville '15-'17 style top-4 D, but with Sid/Geno up top to actually score. Only problem is right now the #4D is Bambi on skates.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
I wish they traded Petts/MM when I floated it. I honestly didn't see them paying Petts long term I get it but ehh. Petts has regressed. MM too. Few teams need a goalie too. I would have gone all in on one or the other. Someone said MM wants 9 mill per via agent. Yeah, I'd definitely go with Jarry. If we lost in the playoffs because of a goalie it wouldn't be the first time.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
PIT had lots of D injuries last year too.
This isn't just Petts playing too high in the lineup.
He's done that here before.
He's legitmately regressed from his rookie year.
Pray it's a sophmore slump and he becomes a new player over the summer.

People hoped he would bulk up too.
Still possible, but I donno about that.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
@KIRK would you feel bad if we moved Petts so soon after extending him? I mean, he's gonna get paid now and we got him that opportunity...I wouldn't feel too bad if it isn't here.

I'm still enamored with the idea of running a Nashville '15-'17 style top-4 D, but with Sid/Geno up top to actually score. Only problem is right now the #4D is Bambi on skates.

The situation with Pets is what it is. That said . . .

See the cap thread.

My 2 moves right now:

1. A partner for Marino.

2. A top 6 winger (doesn't need to be a stud, but a more legit fit) for either Zucker-Sid OR Malkin-Horny and then slide Rust up with Zucker-Sid.

Don't bother wasting assets on anything else, because it's as likely to do harm as good on a healthy Pens roster.

P.S.: My friend @pixiesfanyo's sentiments to the contrary notwithstanding, Rust-Malkin-Horny >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kahun-Malkin-Rust, not because Kahun isn't a good player but because Malkin is a better player working with the Rust-Horny combo, no matter how flawed it might be.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

See the cap thread.

My 2 moves right now:

1. A partner for Marino.

2. A top 6 winger (doesn't need to be a stud, but a more legit fit) for either Zucker-Sid OR Malkin-Horny and then slide Rust up with Zucker-Sid.

Don't bother wasting assets on anything else, because it's as likely to do harm as good on a healthy Pens roster.

P.S.: My friend @pixiesfanyo's sentiments to the contrary notwithstanding, Rust-Malkin-Horny >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kahun-Malkin-Rust, not because Kahun isn't a good player but because Malkin is a better player working with the Rust-Horny combo, no matter how flawed it might be.

Or if Sully gets his way, a winger for Sid/Simon. ;)

Reactions: KIRK

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

See the cap thread.

My 2 moves right now:

1. A partner for Marino.

I think Petts could be part of the assets to get you those players. As could, frankly, Murray. And McCann.

As for Rust, I dunno man. He need to get back to his grinder/mucker mentality and start causing chaos on forechecks and stuff again. He always played that way and the fact that he also had scoring/creating talent was the bonus. The reason Kahun-Malkin-Rust isn't working is that Rust has been floating/drifting at ES for a while.

I legitimately hope he's hurt right now and that he didn't just turn back into a pumpkin outside of injury.

Edit: Hornqvist is doing a good job of filling in for that right now for Geno, but that really ought to be Rust with Hornqvist doing it on the Sid line. Rust is just badly off.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I think Petts could be part of the assets to get you those players. As could, frankly, Murray. And McCann.

As for Rust, I dunno man. He need to get back to his grinder/mucker mentality and start causing chaos on forechecks and stuff again. He always played that way and the fact that he also had scoring/creating talent was the bonus. The reason Kahun-Malkin-Rust isn't working is that Rust has been floating/drifting at ES for a while.

I legitimately hope he's hurt right now and that he didn't just turn back into a pumpkin outside of injury.

Like I said in either the GDT or earlier in the PGT, Rust hasn't looked the same since he took that awkward tumble into the boards about 10 games ago or so.

Reactions: Andy99 and KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

1. He's not trading Pets.

2. I agree about Rust. It's why it's working better with Horny. As @vodeni noted the other day, with that trio, unlike with Kahun, the roles are defined and it's to Malkin's benefit. This also is why I said either a winger for Sid and Zucker OR the winger goes with Geno-Horny and then Rust slides up with Zucker-Sid (may be the only way to get that combo without Simon).

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
another aspect of our game recently, our dman mostly but even forwards can not get the puck on the net...last few games with an absurdly low percentage, a ton of blocked shots or going crazy wide...if our game is cycle they better learn how to get that puck to the net from the point

We don’t make quick shots or change the angle of the shot sufficiently, which allows D men to get in the way...we have to be a lot better at deception and then we’ll get some on net...

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
This team is just stupid and I'm starting to think it starts with the HC. You are going into the 3rd with a 1 goal lead and PP. The one thing that can't happen. Anything can happen but this and it happens. Your putting the whole game into Petts hands and him getting a dump deep. You got Schultz playing 3rd forward. You realize how much can go wrong on a play like that. It's just idiotic to even put yourself in a high risk like that with a 1 goal lead.

q7dazj2.jpg

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I think we are seeing the effects of missing Dumoulin and Marino now. Johnson with Letang hurts that pairing. Letang is forced to cover for Johnson when it should be Dumo covering for Letang. The second pairing isn't much better. Pettersson and Schultz just don't mesh. Then the third pairing, Trotman should be in the A, Ruhwedel should be eating nachos, and Riikola just can't seem to get out of the doghouse. We've got 4/6 defensemen that are playing above their appropriate station. They stepped up and held it together for a while but they're starting to crack.

The fact that Dumo and Marino are going to be traveling with the team is fantastic news. We can't get those guys back soon enough. I wouldn't be surprised either to see us get a rental D to prevent Trotman or Riikola from seeing the ice in the playoffs. Personally I think Riikola is fine, but Sully clearly doesn't so might as well adjust to that.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I think we are seeing the effects of missing Dumoulin and Marino now. Johnson with Letang hurts that pairing. Letang is forced to cover for Johnson when it should be Dumo covering for Letang. The second pairing isn't much better. Pettersson and Schultz just don't mesh. Then the third pairing, Trotman should be in the A, Ruhwedel should be eating nachos, and Riikola just can't seem to get out of the doghouse. We've got 4/6 defensemen that are playing above their appropriate station. They stepped up and held it together for a while but they're starting to crack.

The fact that Dumo and Marino are going to be traveling with the team is fantastic news. We can't get those guys back soon enough. I wouldn't be surprised either to see us get a rental D to prevent Trotman or Riikola from seeing the ice in the playoffs. Personally I think Riikola is fine, but Sully clearly doesn't so might as well adjust to that.

Over slotting defensive personnel certainly has be the biggest issue.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
I think it's moreso that:
1) Given that JR is JR, bigger pieces are going to be moved tomorrow in reaction to the recent skid.
2) Process of elimination really starts to hone in on Schultz, McCann, maybe a Kahun/Simon and a goalie. The goalie looks like CDS since he was scratched in WBS but outside chance it's Murray.
So yeah. Nothing big is gonna happen. Those are some big decisions with MM. JR is not gonna do it in one day. And I feel like they still respect Schultz too much so nothing to see there either. JR is not gonna overreact even if he should in case of Schultz especially.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I’m sure he’s put up a shrine in his house by now where he lights a candle every night and prays to Oden...

The sad thing is I'm not sure that JJ isn't the best option for Letang's LD partner right now. Who else? Pets? I may die of laughter. Riikola? He got one shift in the Leafs game, and that ended with a blown assignment on Kapanen's breakaway goal (which I suspect is why he hasn't played since).

Reactions: Andy99

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
1. He's not trading Pets.

2. I agree about Rust. It's why it's working better with Horny. As @vodeni noted the other day, with that trio, unlike with Kahun, the roles are defined and it's to Malkin's benefit. This also is why I said either a winger for Sid and Zucker OR the winger goes with Geno-Horny and then Rust slides up with Zucker-Sid (may be the only way to get that combo without Simon).

I don't think Simon is killing Sid single-handedly. I think between the three Zucker is extremely soft/useless on the boards, Simon can't finish and Sid's defensive commitment isn't there. I'd like to put Horny in place of Simon to shake some stuff up but not because Simon is some single-handed hindrance.

Reactions: Andy99 and KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I don't think Simon is killing Sid single-handedly. I think between the three Zucker is extremely soft/useless on the boards, Simon can't finish and Sid's defensive commitment isn't there. I'd like to put Horny in place of Simon to shake some stuff up but not because Simon is some single-handed hindrance.

Sid isn't playing with Horny, and frankly our most reliable duo right now might be Malkin-Horny. Why I wonder if you try to find them a Rust like natural LW and then slide Rust, who may need a change up, up with Zucker-Sid.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Sid isn't playing with Horny, and frankly our most reliable duo right now might be Malkin-Horny. Why I wonder if you try to find them a Rust like natural LW and then slide Rust, who may need a change up, up with Zucker-Sid.

I thought it was commonly accepted in HFBoards 4:27 P salm 8 that thou shalt not place Rust with Crosby. That's my only hesitation.

I think Kahun-Malkin-Horny would be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad