Post-Game Talk: Capitals 5, Penguins 3: And Now We Wait on the Mad Hatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
He is not piece of trash. No one playing for our entertainment is piece of trash. he is a solid AHL player who was giving a role to play over 12 minutes against one of the most explosive teams in NHL. I watched him closely, he had more good plays than bad plays tonight, he wasn't at his best for that goal, but its not like other five Penguins defensamn do better job in the crease, asctually they all suck...Letang and JJ can't even make it in the crease to busy chasing each other behind the goal...

I thought he was better than he was yesterday, except on that goal. Other than Petts, most of the D played well in the first two periods and then imploded in the third.

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
this thread is an adventure

i'm pretty trigger-happy with my ignore function, and these past couple games i've had to use it a lot more than usual because there sure are a bunch of you that have crawled out of the woodwork, sheesh

anyway, listened to highlights on the drive home, and i was really hoping petts would settle in with no contract negotiations hanging over his head, but he's taken another step back

i'm in the camp of the defense is a tire fire that's finally burning everyone rn. hopefully relief is in sight, but tough sledding rn

there are certainly other issues with the forward mix, but the defense is the bigger trouble

i wish i could be sedated until tomorrow evening :laugh:

Reactions: KIRK

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Rank the Penguins Defense right now (after Letang):

1. Gonchar

Pettersson
Schultz
Riikola
Ruhwedel
Johnson

Trotman

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I genuinely think Marino's loss may have more of an impact than Jake's. Marino's been our best blueliner this season in terms of valuing the entire season as a whole. Letang's had better highs, but Marino's been consistently amazing. Letang's had some absolute stinkers.

That's big praise for a rookie that Stevens just happened to find and tell JR to get.

Reactions: EightyOne and KIRK

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I genuinely think Marino's loss may have more of an impact than Jake's. Marino's been our best blueliner this season in terms of valuing the entire season as a whole. Letang's had better highs, but Marino's been consistently amazing. Letang's had some absolute stinkers.

That's big praise for a rookie that Stevens just happened to find and tell JR to get.

The more I watch the modern NHL, the more I think that defensemen are more important than forwards.

That's why I never mind when people talk about "our $30M defense" or whatever. I have no issue with devoting 40% of my cap to that position. It just has to be the right players. I think D#4-6 is very much in question right now.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012

Hmm. I don't know if it's been as big a loss as Jake, but his presence made Dumo's absence tolerable. With both of them gone, we see what a mess the rest of the D is without their stabilizing influence. Imagine if Marino had been playing at Harvard all year.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Hmm. I don't know if it's been as big a loss as Jake, but his presence made Dumo's absence tolerable. With both of them gone, we see what a mess the rest of the D is without their stabilizing influence. Imagine if Marino had been playing at Harvard all year.
I'd argue his absence has been as big or more of an issue than Jake's, imo. It's been like night and day since Marino went down, totally different team. Losing Jake sucks, for sure, but we were still puttering along alright without him. We're obviously better with him, but we were doing alright. This team looks brutal without Marino--completely lost way too often.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Please read the original post where it was inferring Crosby has health issues. That’s what I was questioning.

But thanks for the pictures. It looks like Sidney Crosby is a bad player.

Hardly. The take-away is that he has been slightly worse at preventing goals as he has been at creating them. He should/needs to be better.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
The more I watch the modern NHL, the more I think that defensemen are more important than forwards.

That's why I never mind when people talk about "our $30M defense" or whatever. I have no issue with devoting 40% of my cap to that position. It just has to be the right players. I think D#4-6 is very much in question right now.

The Pens won a cup with Ron Hainsey on the top pair, though. If anything the team you're posting about is proof of the opposite.

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
dQgnDj9.gif

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Nah, one of the gimmick posters on the old Pens official forums. A bunch of us used to post there during the Gen X years.
I used to post elsewhere during those days, mostly just random message boards, until I came across this place over a decade ago and just read stuff, wasn't compelled to join until 2012.

So many have had username changes, I don't recognize who the older group is anymore.

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
Now I see that in the previous 2 (embarrassing) games Pens were saving all their energy, effort, focus and talent for the Caps game... OH WAIT...

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
Well the only good thing is they played better than the previous two games. Had some good shots, just no puck luck.
Petts, yikes. Actually felt badly for him. He took some big hits, needs to bulk up some. Defense just poor overall. Don't get the comments re Simon, thought he had a decent game.

Well shake it off boys.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Petts, yikes. Actually felt badly for him. He took some big hits, needs to bulk up some. Defense just poor overall. Don't get the comments re Simon, thought he had a decent game.

Well shake it off boys.

I have been pounding this drum but yikes...maybe the frame truly isn't there. Looks like a marathon runner. Or Kevin Durant/Brandon Ingram if you're familiar with those basketball players.

Are there any 25-30 year old Dmen out there with a BMI of 22? BMI is flawed but illustrative here.

Dumo: 25
JJ: 30
Letang: 27
Marino: 24
Riiks: 25.6
Ruh: 26.5
Schultz: 25
Petts: 22

For Ss and Gs I looked at Tampa's defensemen too...the LOWEST is Cam Gaunce at 25.5. Even Maatta is 26. So yeah I am officially concerned that we gave a stick figure a ton of money.

marcus-pettersson-poses-for-a-head-shot-prior-to-testing-at-the-nhl-picture-id495453427

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
I have been pounding this drum but yikes...maybe the frame truly isn't there. Looks like a marathon runner. Or Kevin Durant/Brandon Ingram if you're familiar with those basketball players.

Are there any 25-30 year old Dmen out there with a BMI of 22? BMI is flawed but illustrative here.

Dumo: 25
JJ: 30
Letang: 27
Marino: 24
Riiks: 25.6
Ruh: 26.5
Schultz: 25
Petts: 22

For Ss and Gs I looked at Tampa's defensemen too...the LOWEST is Cam Gaunce at 25.5. Even Maatta is 26. So yeah I am officially concerned that we gave a stick figure a ton of money.

marcus-pettersson-poses-for-a-head-shot-prior-to-testing-at-the-nhl-picture-id495453427
Well the Caps agree w you. They targeted him all thru the game. Only hope here is he's pretty young so might be able to add significant pounds/muscle with pro conditioning/nutrition help.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
yep. All garbage type goals for the caps. pebs need to play better in that area.

And on the other end, except for hornq everyone plays like they’re afraid to get hit around the caps net

if they don’t change that, they’ll be out of the playoffs quickly
Yep

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
9 out 10 doctors recommend the 3 P's- a diet of Primanti's, pierogis, and pop.

Peanut Putter too.

I swear I wouldn't be so argumentative on this if people could name me some really good defensemen at 6'3 and 175 but I am drawing a blank.

Edit: Jk I'd still argue it. But give a fella a comparable to dream on ya know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad