Post-Game Talk: Capitals 3, Penguins 1 - Rage Rage Against The Dying Of the Light

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Probably because there’s the vague memory of him leading the extremely injured Pens to the division lead. Which prompted the team to not be good at all ever since which is, to be fair, inexplicable.

I still remember it was like February against Toronto where we overtook that lead. We got off to a super hot start (4-0 or 5-0) and we overtook the division lead. The team and the announcers acted like it was some kind of coronation.

Then in the 2nd and 3rd periods Toronto absolutely dominated them. The Pens still won 6-3 or something but even in that game it was like "guys we made it let's let off now!" Yay we're division champs! And then immediately imploded.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Yeah, but like anyone that looks at that saw PIT running off the strength of Jake - Malkin - Rust.

Not any true coaching decisions.

The defense was also very good. But maybe that had nothing to do with Sullivan.

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
I’ll be honest and state that I don’t know much about all these “advanced metrics and stats” and such but I take them with a grain of salt and feel like everyone trying to “moneyball” NHL teams by pushing these numbers is misguided at least a little.

I tire of watching the Pens enter the offensive zone, work the puck around the boards and to the points, always staying on the perimeter, only to never get a shot off, or have the shot blocked, etc.

Then somebody has an orgasm over the “advanced stats” of player x or player y and how said player is the best player on the roster, etc.

You have to have high quality chances and capitalize on those chances if you want to win in this league. The Pens had a few to start the game last night, blew all of them, and then proceeded to wilt and get dominated from that point on...

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I’ll be honest and state that I don’t know much about all these “advanced metrics and stats” and such but I take them with a grain of salt and feel like everyone trying to “moneyball” NHL teams by pushing these numbers is misguided at least a little.

I tire of watching the Pens enter the offensive zone, work the puck around the boards and to the points, always staying on the perimeter, only to never get a shot off, or have the shot blocked, etc.

Then somebody has an orgasm over the “advanced stats” of player x or player y and how said player is the best player on the roster, etc.

You have to have high quality chances and capitalize on those chances if you want to win in this league. The Pens had a few to start the game last night, blew all of them, and then proceeded to wilt and get dominated from that point on...

The team is just as average as the eye test as they are analytically.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Yeah but like seriously we moved a 1st, 2nd 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 4th, Wilson, Cole, Gustavsson for Jared McCann and some dead cap and people think Rutherford was a good GM.

Probably not a coincidence that Rutherfords best stretch came with all of Boterill, Guerin and Karmanos. He’s great at getting stuff done. In fact he’s too good at getting stuff done, and needs guys around him to tell him to wait.

Reactions: BillPrep

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
People talking about switching Sid and Malkins wingers realize that has nothing to do with Sully right? Sid wants Jake....plain and simple...and because of that you will never see Zucker with Sid. I want to see it as well because I think it would literally help everyone involved in the top 6...but Sid doesn’t want it so it isn’t happening. It’s a pointless discussion because of that
Geno has to be ok riding shot gun but Sid can't when it's a benefit to the team and we're led to believe he's an amazing leader and blah blah. Last season it was clear the trio of GMR was our best line in a very long time. But again this team let's Crosby dictate over doing the right thing to win.

Imagine if Malkin did that. This board would be all over him. But when Sid does it it's oh he's owed whatever blah blah.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
You think this roster is amazing?

tenor.gif

What kind of roster are you expecting to ice exactly?
How many more stars and talent do you need before you say it's a really good roster?
In the age of caps and parity... it _is_ a really good roster.

This roster on paper is above plain average.... their performance is well below average.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
It’s crazy to me more people in the media aren’t burying Sullivan. 6 regulation wins in their last 30 RS games. That ain’t Sid and Malkin. Sorry.

Apparently this is about the same pace as Buffalo. Yea something has gone wrong.

Reactions: Gurglesons
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad