Post-Game Talk: Capitals 3, Penguins 1 - Rage Rage Against The Dying Of the Light

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Bleuger is outproducing Malkin this year, so if Sullivan is going to play favorites. Might as well do it and hold Malkin and Zucker accountable.

Guentzel - Blueger - Kapanen
Zucker - Crosby - Rust
ZAR - Malkin - Tanev

Yep.

Of course, that means holding EVERYONE accountable.

Malkin and Zucker, for sure, but if you say you're going to hold them accountable for crap and then go and give everyone else a pass for the same crap, that kind of makes for a credibility problem . . . frankly an insurmountable one given the hole Sullivan has been digging himself.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yep.

Of course, that means holding EVERYONE accountable.

Malkin and Zucker, for sure, but if you say you're going to hold them accountable for crap and then go and give everyone else a pass for the same crap, that kind of makes for a credibility problem . . . frankly an insurmountable one given the hole Sullivan has been digging himself.

Yeah this idea that Guentzel - Sid - Rust is some powerhouse line that is playing two way hockey is pretty hilarious.

But, hey Pittsburgh Sidney Crosby's are having a lot of success and it'll probably be fun to see Malkin and Letang go tear it up for new teams that understand their limitations and put them in positions to succeed rather than to be support for whenever Sid isn't on the ice.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
My guess about what happens if Geno and Sid switch wingers. Zucker and Kap would kill Crosby similarly as to how they are killing Malkin. And Malkin would neutralize Rust and Jake too. So instead of one great line and one awful line we would have 2 mediocre lines, IMO. Because Kap, Zucker and Geno are all playing really bad hockey now and I don´t think it is gonna change soon. Especially with Zucker and Geno, maybe they are who they are at this point.
could be true.....but hey lets give it a try for a few games and see. that's all we are asking.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Yeah this idea that Guentzel - Sid - Rust is some powerhouse line that is playing two way hockey is pretty hilarious.

But, hey Pittsburgh Sidney Crosby's are having a lot of success and it'll probably be fun to see Malkin and Letang go tear it up for new teams that understand their limitations and put them in positions to succeed rather than to be support for whenever Sid isn't on the ice.

Part of me thinks if these next 16 months (or sooner if the team instigates something) with Malkin is as ugly as the last one, he's not going to go running to play in the KHL. A NHL team with the right coach and the right system (more trapping and countering) will pitch him, he'll go, and it will work out pretty well for both parties.

EDIT: Letang will be trickier, but if he's okay in a reduced role on a team that plays with real structure, he could add a lot to that equation.

Reactions: BHD

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Part of me thinks if these next 16 months (or sooner if the team instigates something) with Malkin is as ugly as the last one, he's not going to go running to play in the KHL. A NHL team with the right coach and the right system (more trapping and countering) will pitch him, he'll go, and it will work out pretty well for both parties.

Also a team is going to give Letang 2nd pairing D usage. Place him in a system that exploits his positives and doesn't allow for his flaws and prosper because they'll realize he is 33 so he can't play 25 minutes a night and won't blame everything on him.

So yeah, basically same story as Malkin. Malkin to Carolina would not surprise me at all.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
Also a team is going to give Letang 2nd pairing D usage. Place him in a system that exploits his positives and doesn't allow for his flaws and prosper because they'll realize he is 33 so he can't play 25 minutes a night and won't blame everything on him.

So yeah, basically same story as Malkin. Malkin to Carolina would not surprise me at all.

Malkin already said he doesn't want to go be number one in Carolina. He wants to win with Crosby.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Yep, just edited that. They're in the same boat. Neither would get the money they are, and some offers would include incentives. BUT, with some financial flexibility, they won't want for suitors . . .

Carolina? That one is interesting. If they could tell him where their team is going, how he fits, and how their style of hockey will benefit him, then I suppose as a UFA he'd listen.

Florida is another name, for obvious reasons. If that franchise is in a good spot in 16 months, then I definitely could see something there.

How about Tampa, if he's looking for something more incentive laden? By then, you'll have butts in seats and the new TV contract. And it's not so far from Miami.

Once upon a time, he listed Montreal as a place he could see himself playing if he ever left. Claude Julien, in terms of style and system, would be perfect.

I also wouldn't discount either of the NY teams.

Reactions: BHD and Gurglesons

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
No, he broke it up eventually, but Dupuis - Crosby - Sullivan was largely the playoff line.

Much to Staal's chagrin.

EDIT: I do wonder what Sullivan would've done IF Jake was healthy and Jake-Malkin-Rust still was killing it when Sid returned. Zucker maybe still could've happened, since Galchenyuk's cap hit basically covered Zucker. BUT, I'm sure Sullivan would've taken the first bad 2 game stretch to change it.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
What kind of roster are you expecting to ice exactly?
How many more stars and talent do you need before you say it's a really good roster?
In the age of caps and parity... it _is_ a really good roster.

This roster on paper is above plain average.... their performance is well below average.
I don’t think you can say that the roster is amazing, that’s all. Have you seen our bottom six? Our fourth line is composed of guys that should be healthy scratches, and our goaltending has been far from amazing.

The top six is awesome on paper, but that is about it.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
People hating on this team but we haven't even let them be themselves yet. There are so many line combinations that haven't been tried that have potential based on historical precedent. The team has untapped potential. This coach is in the way and has been for two years.
This team, as it's built and as it is right now, has zero potential. With the way Zucker's playing, we've got exactly two top-6 calibre wingers on the roster; and with the way Malkin's playing, we've got one top-6 calibre centre. Our third line is a fourth line. Our fourth line is an AHL line. Our AHL is full of guys that will likely never get a shot at the NHL. And to sum up our top prospects Poulin and Legare, people are trying to figure out how they're struggling to put up points on a pretty loaded Q team.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
This team, as it's built and as it is right now, has zero potential. With the way Zucker's playing, we've got exactly two top-6 calibre wingers on the roster; and with the way Malkin's playing, we've got one top-6 calibre centre. Our third line is a fourth line. Our fourth line is an AHL line. Our AHL is full of guys that will likely never get a shot at the NHL. And to sum up our top prospects Poulin and Legare, people are trying to figure out how they're struggling to put up points on a pretty loaded Q team.
And that's just the forwards. :laugh:

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

:yo::yo::yo:

Accurate takedown of the forwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->