TSN: Cap will go up next season. 84-88.2mil (cap increase now in jeopardy)

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
I’d rather keep the defensive rock of this team in Tanev than make Hughes’ full time partner Myers who he’s gonna essentially have to babysit. Keeping Tanev is a must; if we want Barrie get rid of Myers.

Superlative Soup

Treasured and Marveled
Apr 8, 2013
Saskatchewan
I dont know if i want that figure, but id take Barrie on my team any day.

Out: Tanev, Stecher
In: Barrie, Defensive Dman

Hughes- Myers
Edler- Barrie
Fattenberg- Hainsey
Benn

Either way there are lots of options to re-vamp this blueline in the off-season.

I think the Canucks are going to have a lot more cap than we thought.

1. Possible Eriksson termination
2. Ferland -LTIR
3. Moveable expiring contracts - Baertschi, Sutter
4. UFAs - Marky , Tanev ,Fattenberg, Leivo
5. RFAs- Virtanen, Stecher
Is an Eriksson termination actually possible or just wishful thinking? What a gift that would be.

As for Barrie, I'd much rather re sign Toffoli assuming they're around the same $.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
"The cap isn't going up because the players are mad about escrow" - 'Fire Benning' posters a couple weeks ago

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
There’s a huge gap between 88 and 84 million; so before trolling which is pretty much what the op did (and now says oh no I didn’t) we should probably wait and see what comes down

NHL announces salary cap for next season
Lower than the projection in 2019 projected at 83 ends at 81.5

NHL revenues, salary cap projected to rise
projected at 82 (with inflator)
Came in at 79

let’s realize the projection is also with the inflator to get the 88 which means the players have to use their 5% inflator

Last edited:

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Eriksson has the same agent as Andrew Ladd and Karl Alzner, two guys getting paid big money to ride the bus.

Maybe he'll get the same advice?

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
"The cap isn't going up because the players are mad about escrow" - 'Fire Benning' posters a couple weeks ago
The NHL put out $83m last year it ended at $81.5m.

The players are mad about escrow. They haven’t put their input into the number but thanks for the pomp.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Is an Eriksson termination actually possible or just wishful thinking? What a gift that would be.

As for Barrie, I'd much rather re sign Toffoli assuming they're around the same $.
We would most likely have to give up some sort of an asset to get him off the roster..the difference is (with the cap going up) is that it won't cost an 'arm and a leg' to do so.

I hope they re-sign Toffoli as well...Top 6 would be looking good.

The increase just makes Bennings job easier.

Last edited:

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Eriksson has the same agent as Andrew Ladd and Karl Alzner, two guys getting paid big money to ride the bus.

Maybe he'll get the same advice?
Sam Gagner got loaned to Toronto. If push comes to shove I’d imagine JP Barry will get him to the Texas Stars on loan if that were the case. And Eriksson will make way more take home.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
The NHL put out $83m last year it ended at $81.5m.

The players are mad about escrow. They haven’t put their input into the number but thanks for the pomp.

I'm speculating that the $84M is if they don't do the escalator clause to keep escrow down, $88.2M if they do.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I'm speculating that the $84M is if they don't do the escalator clause to keep escrow down, $88.2M if they do.
The NHL always projects high because the teams get the escrow back anyways. But the PA didn’t escalate it last year and is STILL failed to meet the low end of their original projection.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Built on assumptions.

one that the Canucks will put him in the AHL at all.

Two that he won’t fight for his money.

I could see if this was the last year but it’s not.

Again we shall wait and see, but im very confident that both teams will walk away from this contract after the bonuses and that this was the plan all along when the contract was signed.

However , if you want to go by Eriksson being on the team. then there are alot of other avenues to create cap.

1. Baertchi, Sutter are both expiring contracts and will be easy to move. total of both is around 7 mil AAV
2. Ferland LTIR- 3.5 mil
3. If we want to attach assets like players like Demko or draft picks then im sure we can move Roussel or Beagle.

Im fine with not doing #3 as i think the added cap space along with doing #1 or 2 will leave us in good spot.

Roster wise: I think the Canucks need to move on from Stecher and possibly Virtanen. Tanev I'd love to re-sign but not at a huge cost because of his injury history. Marky we need back unless Demko can really show his worth over the next few weeks.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Again we shall wait and see, but im very confident that both teams will walk away from this contract after the bonuses and that this was the plan all along when the contract was signed.

However , if you want to go by Eriksson being on the team. then there are alot of other avenues to create cap.

1. Baertchi, Sutter are both expiring contracts and will be easy to move. total of both is around 7 mil AAV
2. Ferland LTIR- 3.5 mil
3. If we want to attach assets like players like Demko or draft picks then im sure we can move Roussel or Beagle.

Im fine with not doing #3 as i think the added cap space along with doing #1 or 2 will leave us in good spot.

Roster wise: I think the Canucks need to move on from Stecher and possibly Virtanen. Tanev I'd love to re-sign but not at a huge cost because of his injury history. Marky we need back unless Demko can really show his worth over the next few weeks.

Baertchi can also be bought out pretty easily and that saves us $1.6M.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The owners are probably on board with the cap going up rather than being forced to pay to bury or get rid of contracts. The players are really just concerned about escrow.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018

2. Ferland LTIR- 3.5 mil

I highly doubt the plan was for him to only play 4 years.

1. easy to move? Ok. To who? For what? I think they’ll be tougher to move than you think. Why wouldn’t teams just sign their own contracts unless of course the team is retaining or sweetening. I think they’d have to do one or both to get rid of these guys.

Baertschi is an AHLer.

2. I agree. Teams needs to assume and hope Ferland is injured. Not a great spot.

3. See 1, but harder because of term remaining.

I do agree about Stecher, Demko and Virtanen though. Virtanen on a 1 year deal wouldn’t be terrible. I don’t trust he’s changed.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I just saw something on Twitter and wished I'd saved it or could find it again. A table going back the last 4-5 years showing what the projected cap was and what the actual cap was.

Every year the projection was high except one.

Edit. Found it.

Reactions: racerjoe

Bam19

Apr 3, 2008

2. Ferland LTIR- 3.5 mil

problem with number 1 is after next year both Petey and Hughes are up and are going to command big money so you need to keep that money available.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
NOBODY is going to want Baertschi until around the trade deadline next season (which means we’ll be eating a good chunk of his cap hit until then). Same with Sutter. Assuming either are healthy at the time.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I just saw something on Twitter and wished I'd saved it or could find it again. A table going back the last 4-5 years showing what the projected cap was and what the actual cap was.

Every year the projection was high except one.

Edit. Found it.

Read what Mirtle just tweeted. Said the players doubt it. They’re currently paying 14% escrow. They don’t want to pay any.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
NOBODY is going to want Baertschi until around the trade deadline next season (which means we’ll be eating a good chunk of his cap hit until then). Same with Sutter. Assuming either are healthy at the time.
I think Sutter at 50% is tradeable.

Playing around I projected him to NYI at 50% for a 5th or 6th.

Baertschi is $3.5m minor leaguer. These guys don’t bounce back to the NHL after spending full seasons in the AHL. If anybody can find one please point it out.

Reactions: Hit the post

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad