TSN: Cap will go up next season. 84-88.2mil (cap increase now in jeopardy)

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Cap going up? I think the cap will stay what it is, and escrow is going to be crazy high - 30+%. We need to dump Loui, Sutter, and Baer (don’t see how tbh) so we can sign our UFAs.

I’m starting to think that we might lose a large part of the 2021 season as well or even if they have it that revenues are going to go in the toilet as I don’t know how many people will be willing to go into an arena with 18k people again

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Remember when we were paying athletes millions of dollars to NOT cure the Coronavirus and NOT work at hospitals?
Pepperidge Farm Remembers.
When the NHL comes back I hope we collectively realize that maybe a hockey game isn't worth $100.00

jonnygf40

Oct 23, 2009
Another hypothetical, who do you think we lose in the expansion draft? Demko? Myers? or could we make a deal to get rid of Eriksson and the last year of his contract.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Another hypothetical, who do you think we lose in the expansion draft? Demko? Myers? or could we make a deal to get rid of Eriksson and the last year of his contract.
I doubt Seattle takes Myers. Plus, I think teams learned to not make “side deals”, after how things turned out in Vegas. IMO we lose Virtanen. I think He will be unprotected and get picked.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany

While this is obviously off topic, I was about to write a longer comment on the options until I figured out that there isnt too much to worry about it right now. The worst case obviously would be Demko but I dont think goalies have much value in the expansion draft, many will be available and some probably better than Demko, he has a good pedigree but not proven much so far and he will be 25 by the time the draft comes around so who knows.

When it comes to F and D, I honestly dont see us having a problem protecting everyone worthwhile. I barely get to 6 forwards I would mind to lose (Boeser, Horvat, Miller, Pettersson, Virtanen, Gaudette) leaving one open for whoever (Toffoli?) and it looks even more bleak on D. Only Myers is signed beyond 2021 and you could even protect him, Edler and Tanev (if re-signed) and not lose anyone of value (Hughes is not eligible).

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
I doubt Seattle takes Myers. Plus, I think teams learned to not make “side deals”, after how things turned out in Vegas. IMO we lose Virtanen. I think He will be unprotected and get picked.

I mean Vegas did take Sbisa and GM’s love size.

Reactions: rypper

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
I’d love for Seattle to take Myers. Just thinking Jake will be made available too. I’d rather have Jake, so I figured they would too.

Yeah Virtanen left unprotected is a no brainer to pick. If I was the Canucks I’d trade Virtanen. He was on pace for 21/21 season and he has size. The type of wingers a GM overpays for.

Reactions: Luckylarry

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Sbisa had one year left on his deal and all of the Canucks available fortthat draft were pure garbage. They will undoubtedly have a better option available this time around than Myers' bad contract.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Sbisa had one year left on his deal and all of the Canucks available fortthat draft were pure garbage. They will undoubtedly have a better option available this time around than Myers' bad contract.
Bulldog is not pure garbage.

Bulldog is also a billion times better than Sbisa and costs a billion times less.

GM McPhee picking Sbisa smelt to me like a side deal of sorts.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014

Bulldog is also a billion times better than Sbisa and costs a billion times less.

A side deal adjunct to what other transaction? The teams have traded with each other exactly once, exchanging depth players.

jonnygf40

Oct 23, 2009
While this is obviously off topic, I was about to write a longer comment on the options until I figured out that there isnt too much to worry about it right now. The worst case obviously would be Demko but I dont think goalies have much value in the expansion draft, many will be available and some probably better than Demko, he has a good pedigree but not proven much so far and he will be 25 by the time the draft comes around so who knows.

When it comes to F and D, I honestly dont see us having a problem protecting everyone worthwhile. I barely get to 6 forwards I would mind to lose (Boeser, Horvat, Miller, Pettersson, Virtanen, Gaudette) leaving one open for whoever (Toffoli?) and it looks even more bleak on D. Only Myers is signed beyond 2021 and you could even protect him, Edler and Tanev (if re-signed) and not lose anyone of value (Hughes is not eligible).
Won't Lind, Juolevi, Dipetro have to be protected as well? More than 2 years pro under their belts, or are their age parameters that I have forgotten about?

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Won't Lind, Juolevi, Dipetro have to be protected as well? More than 2 years pro under their belts, or are their age parameters that I have forgotten about?

I think yes for Juolevi and Lind but no for DiPietro, he has just this year, the start he got last season was under emergency conditions so I dont think counts.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

Biega is a fringe NHL player, who cares? Vegas was also required to hit a cap floor (60%) based on just their players selected in the expansion draft so getting some players with 1 year left with a higher cap hit may have worked into their strategy. The Canucks will have more valuable players than Biega & Sbisa available this time and I'm not sure why you are bothering to argue against that.

Obviously there was no side deal because..

A side deal adjunct to what other transaction? The teams have traded with each other exactly once, exchanging depth players.

.. of this.

More likely they picked the guy with the bigger salary to hit their floor or just plain liked Sbisa more than Biega.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Dipietro no. 1st year as a pro in the AHL this season. Next season is year 2, so he is exempt.

Juolevi is eligible. Lind, not sure. His ELC did not slide, like Shinkaruk's did when he played in the AHL a year after his draft.

As for the Cap and making decisions, that will dictate everything.

Big picture to remember is that the NHL Owners will retain their 50% of revenues. So, whether it's with a lower salary cap or maintaining the current salary cap number, but having a much larger escrow claw back, the owners are going to get their 50%. It really comes down to how the players want to allocate the 50% among their ranks.

Do the players just keep the cap flat and have everyone take a 30% escrow hit? That's fair to everyone.
Could drop the cap down to lessen the escrow, but free agents get hit hard.

So, end of the day, it falls on the players.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
I’d love for Seattle to take Myers. Just thinking Jake will be made available too. I’d rather have Jake, so I figured they would too.

Which 7 forwards do you see being protected ahead of Virtanen?

I have only 6:

Pettersson
Boeser
Miller
Horvat
Toffoli (assuming he's signed)
Gaudette

But I would look at trading Virtanen anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad