TSN: Cap will go up next season. 84-88.2mil (cap increase now in jeopardy)

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
TSN is reporting that the cap is going up from 81.5 mil to as much as 88.2 mil for the upcoming season.
There are also reports that the cap is going to go even higher up once Seattle officially joins the schedule in 2 seasons.

NHL Deputy commissioner Bill Daly: Cap projected between $84M-$88M - TSN.ca

Props to those that didnt spend months fretting over a cap that had yet been determined.

This is obviously good news for the Canucks and fits well with their core time-line.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
You know it comes in under their projection every year?

You might want to wait until the actual number is out before you flame the people who recognize the team still has major cap issues. Every other team gets the same space too.

Assume it’s $84. Let’s see your lineup free Mcdavid

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Good news for the Canucks...but bad news for those who do not wish to see any more bloated contracts on this team moving forward.
It’s better news for the players no? Try and get Markstrom under $6m now. That cap % is like Craig Anderson at 35 money.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
It’s better news for the players no? Try and get Markstrom under $6m now. That cap % is like Craig Anderson at 35 money.

Yes, good news for Markstrom and Tanev but it would be a maringal raise on what they may have been initially offered imo. Not a massive difference between 84 and 81 in terms of a player projected to make 6M for example but that 3M will help. Hoping this does not mean some sort of nonsensical contract to Tyson Barrie however.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Jim can fit Barrie's 7x7 in no problem then.

I dont know if i want that figure, but id take Barrie on my team any day.

Out: Tanev, Stecher
In: Barrie, Defensive Dman

Hughes- Myers
Edler- Barrie
Fattenberg- Hainsey
Benn

Either way there are lots of options to re-vamp this blueline in the off-season.

I think the Canucks are going to have a lot more cap than we thought.

1. Possible Eriksson termination
2. Ferland -LTIR
3. Moveable expiring contracts - Baertschi, Sutter
4. UFAs - Marky , Tanev ,Fattenberg, Leivo
5. RFAs- Virtanen, Stecher

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Yes, good news for Markstrom and Tanev but it would be a maringal raise on what they may have been initially offered imo. Not a massive difference between 84 and 81 in terms of a player projected to make 6M for example but that 3M will help. Hoping this does not mean some sort of nonsensical contract to Tyson Barrie however.

I still think we need to have firm figure for both and not budge and be prepared to walk away if they are demanding more. Especially with Tanev who cant be counted on to stay healthy.

Tanev - 5.5 AAV for 4 years
Marky- 6.2 AAV for 4 years

Thats probably my highest price point for both.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019

You might want to wait until the actual number is out before you flame the people who recognize the team still has major cap issues. Every other team gets the same space too.

who did i flame?

i gave props for the composed posters who have been saying "relax" about the cap especially since it didnt exist yet.

I know its 2020 but can we possibly compliment people without having someone else get offended for once.

Last edited:

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019

How can i possibly know what the lineup is going to project?

Are you giving me free-reign as in in my projected lineup i have Eriksson not wanting to ride the AHL bus for 2 mil a year?

Baertschi and Sutter traded?

Or you want, nothing will change- worst case scenario eriksson, sutter, baertschi all on the team and cap is 84?

whats my parameters?

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
How can i possibly know what the lineup is going to project?

Are you giving me free-reign as in in my projected lineup i have Eriksson not wanting to ride the AHL bus for 2 mil a year?

Baertschi and Sutter traded?

Or you want, nothing will change- worst case scenario eriksson, sutter, baertschi all on the team and cap is 84?

whats my parameters?
Realistic.

ie. you have to trade or retain to get rid of the junk.

Hopes people will leave $8m on the table isn’t realistic.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
who did i flame?

i gave props for the composed posters who have been saying "relax" about the cap especially since it didnt exist yet.

I know its 2020 but can we possibly compliment people without having someone else get offended for once.
Just seems like an unnecessary statement meant to take a shot at folks.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
TSN is reporting that the cap is going up from 81.5 mil to as much as 88.2 mil for the upcoming season.
There are also reports that the cap is going to go even higher up once Seattle officially joins the schedule in 2 seasons.

NHL Deputy commissioner Bill Daly: Cap projected between $84M-$88M - TSN.ca

Props to those that didnt spend months fretting over a cap that had yet been determined.

This is obviously good news for the Canucks and fits well with their core time-line.
I also heard on the radio that the cap will be going up substantially in 2 seasons because the NHL will be renegotiating their TV deal.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
This would be my priority as well.

I think Tofolli has really enjoyed the city.

Hoping he signs something around JT miller contract.

4 years - 5.5 AAV

it would be nice to actually have a top 6 with him and Boeser both in the lineup.
Why would a 27 year old UFA sign for only 4 years? With less than $1m raise in what he signed 3-4 years ago with the cap getting a big increase?

We can’t project future salary issues? Because we don’t know but we can decide after 2 weeks Toffoli loves it here and is going to sign a sweet heart deal.

Reactions: VanillaCoke

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
9272148.jpg

Reactions: FreeMcdavid

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Potentially good news for retaining Markstrom. He and his agent can demand a larger portion of the cap, but they're not idiots. If he wants to stay in Vancouver, his cap hit has to fit the budget, whatever that ends up being. Otherwise, his proportional argument just prices him off of the team.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Realistic.

ie. you have to trade or retain to get rid of the junk.

Hopes people will leave $8m on the table isn’t realistic.

its 5 million. and whats more realistic?

Eriksson playing in the AHL for 2.5 mil per year and being away from his family and riding the busses from Utica to Laval.

Or

Eriksson taking his family back to Europe

Like i said, i always thought this Eriksson deal was a wink wink deal which is why it was so heavily front-loaded. I dont believe Eriksson is aspiring to play longer than this year.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Potentially good news for retaining Markstrom. He and his agent can demand a larger portion of the cap, but they're not idiots. If he wants to stay in Vancouver, his cap hit has to fit the budget, whatever that ends up being. Otherwise, his proportional argument just prices him off of the team.
This is also his LAST chance at a big money contract.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Friedman mentioned in one of his pre Xmas 31 thoughts that since next season most players who are under contract setup their deal to have less cash paid next season. So the cap could go higher and escrow could come down since players either front loaded or backloaded other non work stoppage years.

See what the players say.

mid we look at the Canucks what is the difference in payments between all guys who are under contract next year compared to this year? Probably an $8 mill or more difference.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
its 5 million. and whats more realistic?

Eriksson playing in the AHL for 2.5 mil per year and being away from his family and riding the busses from Utica to Laval.

Or

Eriksson taking his family back to Europe

Like i said, i always thought this Eriksson deal was a wink wink deal which is why it was so heavily front-loaded. I dont believe Eriksson is aspiring to play longer than this year.
Built on assumptions.

one that the Canucks will put him in the AHL at all.

Two that he won’t fight for his money.

I could see if this was the last year but it’s not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad