TSN: Cap will go up next season. 84-88.2mil (cap increase now in jeopardy)

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
So which is it, Cap will go up next season. 84-88.2mil or wait and see
Just be happy they can fit Hughes and Pettersson’s bonuses from this season under next years cap now. We’ll wait and see if they can fit next years bonuses on next years cap yet.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
All this means is salary inflation for all expiring contracts, of which we have many. A $3.5MM increase is $108.5MM of additional cap space league wide.

The only teams who benefit hugely from cap increases are teams where their star players are locked up long term.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
This is also his LAST chance at a big money contract.

And if he takes the big contract on another team, I won't judge him for it. Just saying that with a rising cap, it opens the window, however slight, to sign Marky to a realistic deal if he's willing to take a pay cut to stay here.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
And if he takes the big contract on another team, I won't judge him for it. Just saying that with a rising cap, it opens the window, however slight, to sign Marky to a realistic deal if he's willing to take a pay cut to stay here.

When you say pay cut, you mean discount

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
It’s hardly realistic to expect a guy to take a pay cut at this point in his career especially with the cap rising imho. It’s not like the case of a Hamhuis who took less because he’s from around here.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
All this means is salary inflation for all expiring contracts, of which we have many. A $3.5MM increase is $108.5MM of additional cap space league wide.

The only teams who benefit hugely from cap increases are teams where their star players are locked up long term.

Sweet! JT Miller contract of 5 mil! That trade is looking better and better every year!

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Those 2 years are going to feel like 20.

Trust me, you wont have to wait 2 years to get rid of Loui Eriksson.

I highly doubt he sticks around 2 years for 5 mil

And I VERY highly doubt even more he sticks around 1 year for 2.5 mil next year.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Trust me, you wont have to wait 2 years to get rid of Loui Eriksson.

I highly doubt he sticks around 2 years for 5 mil

And I VERY highly doubt even more he sticks around 1 year for 2.5 mil next year.
Trust your hopes and dreams? People like to be based in reality.

I guess we’ll see if your 4 year deal is legit when we’ve seen lots to suggest it’s a hope.

Again, they did well by Gagner with two years left by loaning him to AHL Toronto? If they even waive him it seems very much like the precedent is set for Loui to go to AHL Texas then no?

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Trust your hopes and dreams? People like to be based in reality.

I guess we’ll see if your 4 year deal is legit when we’ve seen lots to suggest it’s a hope.

Again, they did well by Gagner with two years left by loaning him to AHL Toronto? If they even waive him it seems very much like the precedent is set for Loui to go to AHL Texas then no?

Gagner had aspirations of another contract and still being an NHLer.

I dont believe LE cares for riding the bus in the AHL in hopes to signing another NHL contract after.

Im confident his goals are aligned with family and his high establishment restaurant business in Europe.

LE has litterally made somewhere around an estimate of 80+ million dollars with career earning and business ventures.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
We're just going to ignore that we our two core players are current unsigned and the price just went up with this news?

Every team will have that problem that has their studs on ELC. its a good problem to have.

no need to worry, cap going up will be good for us.

Like you said , cap going up is fantastic for teams that have core players signed long term. Aka Miller, Horvat

Having an internal cap now that our core is formed is also good.

Horvat
Miller
Boeser.

JT Miller making 5 mil is fantastic for us. He is our point leader. Even with inflation to set the internal cap its still a heck of a contract.

I know i wont change your mind tho , im just wired to see the glass half full i guess.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Yay the cap went up!

Oh now Pettersson will make like 15m instead of 12m? Hughes 10 instead of 8? Well shit.

As great as we think Pettersson is, he isnt going to be making Marner, Mathews money.

I'd look at Pettersson closer to Aho money that he signed this off-season 8.45 range, probably a bit higher with inflation and cap going up. but thats a great comparison.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I guess owning the team changes your perception and reality of things. FreeMcDavid is going whole glass full on the entire cap structure of the team.

Reactions: 420Canuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad