TSN: Cap will go up next season. 84-88.2mil (cap increase now in jeopardy)

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Depending on how severe the NHL is hit with this. If the cap drastically lowers. I wonder if they'll allow owners another round of compliance buyouts similar to the last lockout???

Could be goodbye Loui

From wiki: Due to the 2012–13 NHL lockout, the salary cap was not to increase to the projected $70.2 million, so each team was therefore granted two compliance buyouts to be exercised after the 2012–13 season and/or after the 2013–14 season that would not count against the salary cap in any further year in order to better comply with a lower than expected cap value, regardless of the player's age

Reactions: vancityluongo

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Reactions: I am toxic

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I don’t see how it wouldn’t with each team losing out on 10+ games of regular season plus playoff revenue.

I think the cap wouldn't go down because it's not in the best interest of the owners and players. The cap is set based on projected revenues and not last year's revenues. If the season does get cancelled the players will probably end up paying more escrow than they projected so they would be unhappy. But at the end of the day a lower cap isn't beneficial to the players. If this season was cancelled and I was a player I would totally bet on revenues being higher next season.

Reactions: Peter Griffin

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Depending on how severe the NHL is hit with this. If the cap drastically lowers. I wonder if they'll allow owners another round of compliance buyouts similar to the last lockout???

Could be goodbye Loui

From wiki: Due to the 2012–13 NHL lockout, the salary cap was not to increase to the projected $70.2 million, so each team was therefore granted two compliance buyouts to be exercised after the 2012–13 season and/or after the 2013–14 season that would not count against the salary cap in any further year in order to better comply with a lower than expected cap value, regardless of the player's age

That would be hilarious. Benning lucks into a compliance buyout with which he can rid himself of Eriksson!

someguy44

Apr 6, 2004
Space Jail
I think the cap wouldn't go down because it's not in the best interest of the owners and players. The cap is set based on projected revenues and not last year's revenues. If the season does get cancelled the players will probably end up paying more escrow than they projected so they would be unhappy. But at the end of the day a lower cap isn't beneficial to the players. If this season was cancelled and I was a player I would totally bet on revenues being higher next season.

Next season will be wave 2 (assuming no working vaccine or if this thing doesn't slow down enough by social distancing/warmer weathers). Think of all the people with no jobs by Oct or the economy by then. I seriously doubt revenues will go up next season for the NHL. It most definitely will go down.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

giphy.gif

That would be something.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
yea b/c an unprecedented viral outbreak and global quarantine that society hasn't seen in the post-industrial era is definitely something GMs account for when allocating cap space

making literally any judgments on management based on covid is silly
See the forest for the trees..

Its not based on covid, at all, which should be obvious. Its based on the roster the management has built, and the lack of flexibility therein.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
A rollback in cap (if significant) might come with a rollback in salaries akin to the 04-05 lockout, or at the very least a round of compliance buyouts.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
A rollback in cap (if significant) might come with a rollback in salaries akin to the 04-05 lockout, or at the very least a round of compliance buyouts.
Yep. We would not be the only team with crazy cap problems if the cap drops. Players will give on escrow and there will be buyouts. Salary rollbacks would be a non-starter and possibly not even allowable under the CBA.

Reactions: timw33

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Yep. We would not be the only team with crazy cap problems if the cap drops. Players will give on escrow and there will be buyouts. Salary rollbacks would be a non-starter and possibly not even allowable under the CBA.

This is the issue with having a revenue share split with the league—when they lose money, you lose money. If the HRR dictates the cap decline, I think it means some rollbacks would be required.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Loui, Sutter, Baer, Beagle, and Myers. Be nice to get four of those super special buyouts. But please let’s have a proper GM using them.
Yessiree.....the players you've listed above are owed close to $23m next season.....and if you add in Roussel, Ferland and the Luongo cap recapture penalty, the final total is an ugly $33m. So if the cap actually goes down, the Canucks are royally screwed.

Forget about Tofoli, Markstrom or Tanev.....they won't be able to sign any of 'em. It's hard to believe how one GM, from a cap standpoint, can find himself wearing a jock-strap two or three sizes too small

Reactions: mossey3535

dombrova22

Apr 12, 2017
IF we do get 2 compliance buyouts - who goes? Eriksson and Beagle? Eriksson and Ferland?

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
IF we do get 2 compliance buyouts - who goes? Eriksson and Beagle? Eriksson and Ferland?
heh, would be nice if we had more than two.

- Beagle, Eriksson, Myers, Ferland (I *STILL* give Roussel a pass because he played so well his first year & his coming off that major injury hasn't been going as well as expected).

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

Either go Eriksson + Beagle to clear out $9MM and two guys that are over 33 or Eriksson + Myers to clear up the most total $$ and total years possible.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
I do think though that Benning signed a lot of these high paid bottom 6ers before he realized we were this far along in the re-build, I think he expected some of those salaries to be gone before competing.

Benning's been trying to compete the entire time.

Reactions: mossey3535

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad