TSN: Cap will go up next season. 84-88.2mil (cap increase now in jeopardy)

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If the salary cap implodes, and each team is given two compliance buyouts with no salary cap implications, this would be an immense boon to the Canucks.

And yes, the logical compliance buy-outs would be Eriksson and Myers.....and if Ferland ends up back on LTIR, then they'd probably have enough coin to bring back all three of Markstrom, Tanev and Tofoli.

It would the the 'making of the roster' for 2020-21.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
If the salary cap implodes, and each team is given two compliance buyouts with no salary cap implications, this would be an immense boon to the Canucks.

And yes, the logical compliance buy-outs would be Eriksson and Myers.....and if Ferland ends up back on LTIR, then they'd probably have enough coin to bring back all three of Markstrom, Tanev and Tofoli.

It would the the 'making of the roster' for 2020-21.
You are assuming Benning won't hand out another Myers type contract to another UFA?

Reactions: mossey3535

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
You are assuming Benning won't hand out another Myers type contract to another UFA?

I can't see him using a buyout on Myers in the first place. It makes sense to us, maximize cap space in the buyouts by dumping a player who isn't living up to his contract.

But to Benning, Myers perhaps hasn't been great but he hasn't been terrible either. I can't see him buying out a player a year into his deal when the player hasn't been an abject disaster.

Reactions: mossey3535

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Everyone agrees that Eriksson is a no-brainer for a compliance buyout. We're really only discussing who the second buyout should be used on.

Myers would the ideal candidate given the term and caphit, but I just can't see Benning jettisoning Myers after a single season. The only way I could see it happening is if the cap drops by a substantial amount and Benning's hand is forced.

The next best candidate, based on money and term, is Ferland IMO. Hoping for him to remain on LTIR for the rest of his contract is only slightly more unrealistic than expecting him to be healthy enough to justify the remainder of his deal. The potential for him to flip from on LTIR to off LTIR and really wreak havoc with the Canucks' cap space is a more likely scenario to me.

But who knows? Maybe the cap will drop enough that the league will allow more than just 2 compliance buyouts.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Everyone agrees that Eriksson is a no-brainer for a compliance buyout. We're really only discussing who the second buyout should be used on.

Myers would the ideal candidate given the term and caphit, but I just can't see Benning jettisoning Myers after a single season. The only way I could see it happening is if the cap drops by a substantial amount and Benning's hand is forced.

The next best candidate, based on money and term, is Ferland IMO. Hoping for him to remain on LTIR for the rest of his contract is only slightly more unrealistic than expecting him to be healthy enough to justify the remainder of his deal. The potential for him to flip from on LTIR to off LTIR and really wreak havoc with the Canucks' cap space is a more likely scenario to me.

But who knows? Maybe the cap will drop enough that the league will allow more than just 2 compliance buyouts.

I don't think you can buy out a player on injury reserve.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
So for the 2nd buyout, do you go with Sutter or Beagle? I lean towards the latter purely cos of term.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
I wouldn't count on compliance buyout at this stage. Most of the impact should be for this year for which the players will pay with a very high escrow. For next year the cap depends a lot on what their forecast is, will the season go as normal? How much revenue will be lost as a lot of people will not be able to afford tickets and merchandise for a while? So depending how it goes, the cap might even be similar to this year.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
I don't think you can buy out a player on injury reserve.

Yeah, I think you're right. But I guess I was thinking strictly in terms of what would be ideal for the Canucks cap situation without thinking too much about some of the technical details. It's why I had Myers as my ideal #2.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Cap goes down

Buyout Eriksson and Beagle

Sign EP and Hughes

Cap goes back up in 2 years

Profit

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Well, the Fed just brought in $700B of quantitative easing and cut overnight interest rates to 0%. The US dollar is going to devalue and inflation should go up. The cap might go up, but not for the reasons we think.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Well, the Fed just brought in $700B of quantitative easing and cut overnight interest rates to 0%. The US dollar is going to devalue and inflation should go up. The cap might go up, but not for the reasons we think.

Sorry, history, and the exchange rate disagree. when the US f***s up people run to the US dollar because its a somewhat safer currency. We are lucky in that we are diversified; my wife gets her retirement in $ US and I get mine in Canadian. Our savings our split between the 2 countries, and we have no debts.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
With the cap decrease, do RFAs in the next couple of years sign bridge deals to wait for the cap to go up again?

LeBrun was speculating on 1040 that the league and the PA could agree to keep the cap at the current level even though the CBA would allow the league to drop the cap to make up for this year's revenue shortfall (amount unknown but likely to be large) and next year's reduced revenues (again unknown at this stage).

Maybe there'll be some sort of compromise deal where the cap doesn't change and player escrow goes up. Players hate escrow but it might be the cleanest way to resolve the problem.

The cap going down and every team getting a couple of compliance buyouts is an entertaining idea but it will create a huge mess, and you'd think that players would not want to lock themselves into long term deals when we all believe things will return to normal eventually. So yes, I'd expect just about every new deal signed in such a situation to be short term.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Sorry, history, and the exchange rate disagree. when the US f***s up people run to the US dollar because its a somewhat safer currency. We are lucky in that we are diversified; my wife gets her retirement in $ US and I get mine in Canadian. Our savings our split between the 2 countries, and we have no debts.

It will be a race to the bottom like 2008. The US devalued their currency, the $CDN was trading at $1.10 USD at one point during the crisis. It's only because other countries race to devalue ahead of the Americans that the USD seemed like it was stable. Sure, they will park their money in the USD when there are troubled waters, but that doesn't mean that the US won't experience rampant inflation again like after 2008.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
It will be a race to the bottom like 2008. The US devalued their currency, the $CDN was trading at $1.10 USD at one point during the crisis. It's only because other countries race to devalue ahead of the Americans that the USD seemed like it was stable. Sure, they will park their money in the USD when there are troubled waters, but that doesn't mean that the US won't experience rampant inflation again like after 2008.

sorry, but we would need hours to explain why this is wrong. The US has never"devalued" their currency. They don't have that ability. ahhhh so frustrating to deal with posts like this where I really need an hour to explain why this is wrong and I have like one paragraph ....

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
sorry, but we would need hours to explain why this is wrong. The US has never"devalued" their currency. They don't have that ability. ahhhh so frustrating to deal with posts like this where I really need an hour to explain why this is wrong and I have like one paragraph ....

They printed money and bought bonds on the market with it. The US increased the money supply, that is devaluing their currency.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
They printed money and bought bonds on the market with it. The US increased the money supply, that is devaluing their currency.

And the $US has gone from 1.33 CA a week ago to $1.42 today. That is not "devalued". I understand the reasons why this should not be happening, but thats not how it works.

We are lucky in that 1/3 of our savings are in the US. at this point its probably worth taking $50K and turning into Canadian. I will ask my boss (ie my wife) if I am allowed to play with it.

Bobby Digital

Jun 15, 2006
And the $US has gone from 1.33 CA a week ago to $1.42 today. That is not "devalued". I understand the reasons why this should not be happening, but thats not how it works.

We are lucky in that 1/3 of our savings are in the US. at this point its probably worth taking $50K and turning into Canadian. I will ask my boss (ie my wife) if I am allowed to play with it.

Smh

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna

Canada also slashed their interest rate to only a half point above the Americans and oil is trading for under $30 a barrel. That's why the $CDN is falling. That doesn't really represent the relative strength of the $USD. It won't matter anyway, everyone is going to follow suit and increase their money supply as well so that they can keep exporting to the USA.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Canada also slashed their interest rate to only a half point above the Americans and oil is trading for under $30 a barrel. That's why the $CDN is falling. That doesn't really represent the relative strength of the $USD. It won't matter anyway, everyone is going to follow suit and increase their money supply as well so that they can keep exporting to the USA.

holy crap. $1.45 today. Dow jones in free fall still. Border closed to tourists. Heres a worth while read.

“To The Rest Of The World, You Have No Idea What’s Coming”: Man Lists 6 Stages Italy Has Gone Through

North America is somewhere between stage 2 and 3. Its going to get worse

Reactions: rypper

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
So for the 2nd buyout, do you go with Sutter or Beagle? I lean towards the latter purely cos of term.
If it comes down to Sutter or Beagle, then it's a 'no brainer'. Sutter is going into the last year of his deal....a chance they could deal him if they were were take back some of his $4.5m salary. But Beagle has two years left, is older and basically untradeable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad