Speculation: Canucks will offer BiG money AAV but short term on mystery UFA ( possibly John Carlson)

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I don't think any of the top UFAs are coming here. Guys like John Tavares, John Van Reimsdyk, and John Carlson are going to want to go to a team that is in a position to win, has the cap space to sign them and is able to offer 5 - 7 year term. That's not Vancouver. However - throw an offer at Carlson, JVR and Tavares - stranger things have happened.

We have a shot at Evander Kane - as he has a connection to Vancouver and he's young enough that we could conceivably win while he is here.

Other reasonable options are to re-sign Thomas Vanek on a short term deal (he will undoubtedly want a NTC).

Or look for a useful veteran with a horrible but short contract and trade for him and pickup a draft pick. Jason Spezza @ $7.5M for 1 more year would be an ideal target.

Spot on. No one is going to want to come here, and it'd be a bad idea regardless.

Taking on a Spezza cap dump would be a marvellous move, especially if we could return, say, a 2nd round pick for the trouble. He's also a guy who I think can still play, and theoretically could help the young guys (like Vanek did) without incurring a long-term commitment.

Unfortunately, Benning has not once demonstrated any inkling of even wanting to pull off this type of move. So let's be real, it's not happening.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Lol when Benning strikes out on Carlson or whoever the f*** he is dreaming about, he will throw that money at Kane.

Benning taking on bad contracts for picks? I’ll believe it when I see it because he’s the one signing the bad contracts and giving out the picks.

Last edited:

Nov 1, 2011
Would even Karlsson + Tavares make us contenders (obviously not going to happen).

Baertschi - Tavares - Boeser
Petterson - Horvat - Virtanen
Gaunce - Sutter - Eriksson
Goldobin - Granlund - Gagner
Motte - Leipsic

Edler - Karlsson
Dahlin - Tanev
Gudbranson - Del Zotto
Hutton/Stetcher/Biega

Markstrom
Nilsson

Screw it I'm in...even though the forward line-up makes me cry.

Last edited:

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
"tank properly for 1-2 more years" ?

we took 11 of the last 12 points available....how did we successfully tank? We won garbage time games. Watch STL win the lottery and get Rasmus, meanwhile their fans got to watch meaningful games up to game 82

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
we took 11 of the last 12 points available....how did we successfully tank? We won garbage time games. Watch STL win the lottery and get Rasmus, meanwhile their fans got to watch meaningful games up to game 82
exactly my point lol. how can the canucks tank "properly for 1-2 more years" when they haven't even tanked properly for one yet?

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i now think it will be jack johnson. he needs the money bad enough to ask for a trade from a team he likes just to showcase himself better, so he will sign for a bad team if he is overpaid. he also seems to be happy playing both sides which makes sense for the canucks with the uncertainty about juolevi next season and the fragility of tanev/gudbranson. if i am right, either edler waives his ntc or somebody is surely getting edged out among hutton, pouliot, and stecher. i suspect hutton.

Blue Jackets | Jack Johnson requests to be traded

"Scott’s an easy guy to play with,” Johnson noted. “I go back on the right side, which I did a lot earlier in my career. Sometimes, it’s fun to bounce back and forth because they both have their pros and cons – right and left side.”

Reactions: vancityluongo

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
John Tavares for 4 years at 14 million per + Mike Green at 2 years + [inflated AAV].
He would need to have the worst agent of all time to accept a deal for 4 years.

St. Louis has been through alot of shit as a franchise over the years. I wouldn't even be mad at that.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
He would need to have the worst agent of all time to accept a deal for 4 years.

Really? Let’s think about this for a second.

Tavares = 27 years old. 4*14 = 56 million

If Tavares goes to a current contender, he will likely be offered 7*10.5 = 73.5 million.

That’s a 17.5 million dollar difference.

However - I’m guessing that 31 year old Tavares would be offered far more $$$$ and term than 34 year old Tavares.......to the point where the difference between what 31 year old Tavares would receive and what 34 year old Tavares would receive would be much greater than 17.5 million.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
Really? Let’s think about this for a second.

Tavares = 27 years old. 4*14 = 56 million

If Tavares goes to a current contender, he will likely be offered 7*10.5 = 73.5 million.

That’s a 17.5 million dollar difference.

However - I’m guessing that 31 year old Tavares would be offered far more $$$$ and term than 34 year old Tavares.......to the point where the difference between what 31 year old Tavares would receive and what 34 year old Tavares would receive would be much greater than 17.5 million.
It will be a lot more than 10.5 imo, that's the problem. That deal would be reasonable in this market but he will get more.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
It will be a lot more than 10.5 imo, that's the problem. That deal would be reasonable in this market but he will get more.

Perhaps you’re right, but are there any current contenders that can offer him that kind of money and term? Connor McDavid level money?

Admittedly, I haven’t analyzed the cap situations of other teams, but my guess would be that they can’t.........and that even if said contender could offer Tavares “McDavid money” for 7 years, they’d be facing some very serious cap issues in the not-so-distant future.

I think in most situations, the “trade off” of signing with a contender is that you accept a contract that is at or slightly below market value so that said contending team can be competitive both now and in the future. Perhaps I’m wrong.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
Perhaps you’re right, but are there any current contenders that can offer him that kind of money and term? Connor McDavid level money?

Admittedly, I haven’t analyzed the cap situations of other teams, but my guess would be that they can’t.........and that even if said contender could offer Tavares “McDavid money” for 7 years, they’d be facing some very serious cap issues in the not-so-distant future.

I think in most situations, the “trade off” of signing with a contender is that you accept a contract that is at or slightly below market value so that said contending team can be competitive both now and in the future. Perhaps I’m wrong.
Yeah, that's the problem with those deals every time. If Chicago hadn't blown their load on the Toews deal we might be talking about a scarier team right now. Toronto will be another one to watch in the future cap management wise.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Yeah, that's the problem with those deals every time. If Chicago hadn't blown their load on the Toews deal we might be talking about a scarier team right now. Toronto will be another one to watch in the future cap management wise.

Good point about Chicago. They really screwed themselves with those ‘thank you’ deals to Toews and Kane. Even in LA’s case with Kopitar, they haven’t been the same since Kopitar re-signed for 10.5 million.

That really was the beauty with Chicago and LA from 2009-2015. They had all these guys signed long term at extremely friendly cap hits for long term.

As painful as it must be to be a Blues fan right now, I’ll have to admit that I admire aspects of their management model. They have absolutely no qualms or hesitations about letting their 29-30 year olds go. No “loyalty” or “thank you” deals at all. Bye bye Shattenkirk and bye bye Backes. Even this year, while most GM’s would have held onto Paul Statsny in hopes of making the playoffs, St.Louis traded him and got a draft pick to set them up for the future. It’s not the sexiest model out there, but St. Louis usually fields competitive teams on a consistent basis. They have a good shot of making the playoffs next year, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they became a contender again sooner than later.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Kane, Green and Bozak are targets i see Jimbo going for

If the Canucks feel that Pettersson will trend as a winger in the NHL, then signing Bozak isn’t the worst thing in the world. There’s no point trying to force fudge Pettersson into being a Center, if he’s trending more as a winger, and if his frame is too small to justify being an elite NHL center.

You do a major disservice to a player if you try and force him into a position where he’s not quite as good.

So yeah - If the Canucks feel that Pettersson will flourish the most as a winger, then by all means, sign Bozak and let Bozak take pressure off of Horvat. Sign Bozak to a 2 year deal until you feel Gaudette is ready for that 2nd line spot.

Honestly though, I would only consider signing Bozak if we can’t sign Tavares. Offer Tavares the 4*14 deal.

I think Kane will stay in San Jose. The dude fits like a glove there.

Given the Canucks dire need on defense, I’d offer Mike Green big money on a short term deal if they can’t attract Carson’s attention (I don’t think Carson would come out West to a Canadian market, but who knows).

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
If the Canucks feel that Pettersson will trend as a winger in the NHL, then signing Bozak isn’t the worst thing in the world. There’s no point trying to force fudge Pettersson into being a Center, if he’s trending more as a winger, and if his frame is too small to justify being an elite NHL center.

They probably could use a stop gap C, since Gaudette likely won't be ready either, but they don't want a 32 year old C for 3 years. Bozak should get a 3 year+ contract from somebody. They also could always play Gagner at C.

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
They probably could use a stop gap C, since Gaudette likely won't be ready either, but they don't want a 32 year old C for 3 years. Bozak should get a 3 year+ contract from somebody. They also could always play Gagner at C.

Good point about Gagner. I completely forgot about him.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
The only way Tavares comes here on 4*14m is the Canucks trade him with 50% retained the same day as part of some three way arrangement with tavares and strapped team he wants to go to.

If you want him to come here start with 14m*7. IMHO he isn't even worth $14m/y to begin with.

Last edited:

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
I think Canucks will throw big money, two year deals at Thornton + Kovalchuck.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
i now think it will be jack johnson. he needs the money bad enough to ask for a trade from a team he likes just to showcase himself better, so he will sign for a bad team if he is overpaid. he also seems to be happy playing both sides which makes sense for the canucks with the uncertainty about juolevi next season and the fragility of tanev/gudbranson. if i am right, either edler waives his ntc or somebody is surely getting edged out among hutton, pouliot, and stecher. i suspect hutton.

Blue Jackets | Jack Johnson requests to be traded

"Scott’s an easy guy to play with,” Johnson noted. “I go back on the right side, which I did a lot earlier in my career. Sometimes, it’s fun to bounce back and forth because they both have their pros and cons – right and left side.”

f***. This checks out so hard it physically hurts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad