Speculation: Canucks will offer BiG money AAV but short term on mystery UFA ( possibly John Carlson)

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
The more I think about this and hearing Benning/Linden talk about signing a veteran to mentor the kids because the team will be very young next season. I think they will sign Joe Thornton to a 2 year contract at 7-8 million. Similar to when Gillis signed Mats Sundin, there is no way Carlson will sign a short-term contract at this stage in his career, players usually look for a balance of money and security.
That's actually the least offensive idea yet - for the Canucks. But would it even be palatable for Thorton? I don't remember the Canucks being a perpetually bottom 3 team before they went after Sedin. Thorton would be coming here to for sure not make the playoffs. How many sought after players at the end of their career want to go to one of the consistently worst teams in the league?

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Thornton has plenty of money, him coming here is crazy talk imho. He will either stick with SJ or go for a contender to get a cup.
Plus hes a career loser wouldnt want him here for more then $1.5 mill

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Because Carlson is only 28, it is not so black and white IMO. Let's say he's offered something at the lower end of your suggestion: $7.5M x 7 = $52.5M. He could alternatively sign for 3x$10M. Then, at 31 years of age, provided his play hasn't fallen off dramatically, he could get a $8M x 5 because the cap will have increased and there will be a few teams looking to add a top offensive defenseman that still has something left in the tank. I realize this is on the high end of what he could possibly expect over the next 8 years but it amounts to $70M.

So, from purely a total salary potential pov he could take a 3 year then a 5 year and come out quite head if he's a bit of a gambler.

But your points on him likely wanting to play for a competitive team on the east coast will clearly be relevant decision factors. I'm just not sure how much relative to the increase potential earnings. Of course, it's also possible (likely?) that an east coast team offers him the 3x$10M. It will come down to who has the cap space and the need.

He's probably getting a 7 year/$56 million deal.

Over a 3 year/$30 million deal, he'd be making an extra $6 million over that timeframe while risking $26 million to do so if he gets injured or his play falls off. That risk is insane and no remotely competent agent would ever let the player agree to it.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Ilya Kovalchuk is another free agent that would go for something like this

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i joke a lot about about benning not knowing his elbow from his bum but let's hope he at least understands that he has enough forwards as it is, with yet more challenging next year, and if he's going to go big at least going big on defensemen.

who are the UFA defensemen that would realistically sign here? i have no idea. i mean, i know carlson won't. but i know i'd rather have (picking random names out of my butt) ian cole and michael stone at stupid term and dollars than tyler bozak and david perron.

Dissonance Jr

Oct 6, 2017
who are the UFA defensemen that would realistically sign here? i have no idea. i mean, i know carlson won't. but i know i'd rather have (picking random names out of my butt) ian cole and michael stone at stupid term and dollars than tyler bozak and david perron.

In isolation I wouldn't mind kicking the tires on Calvin de Haan, but he's probably going to get $5 million+ per year given how thin the market is for defensemen, and I'm not sure that makes a ton of sense for us. Would be an upgrade over Del Zotto but then we're still stuck with Del Zotto, and I assume we want to make room for Juolevi on the left side.

Greg Pateryn has been quietly solid as a 2nd/3rd pairing RD for Dallas. Definitely wouldn't want to go too crazy, but he'd be a potential option for depth behind Tanev, and would be a major upgrade on Gudbranson. Imagine Dallas will fight hard to keep him though. Plus, we've already got Gudbranson.

------

Unfortunately I can see Jimbo throwing an ugly contract Jack Johnson's way once Carlson turns us down.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
i joke a lot about about benning not knowing his elbow from his bum but let's hope he at least understands that he has enough forwards as it is, with yet more challenging next year, and if he's going to go big at least going big on defensemen.

This ship has sailed, but Dan Hamhuis.

The guy wanted to be here. He is clearly a character player. He's still logging top-four minutes at evens.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
In isolation I wouldn't mind kicking the tires on Calvin de Haan, but he's probably going to get $5 million+ per year given how thin the market is for defensemen, and I'm not sure that makes a ton of sense for us. Would be an upgrade over Del Zotto but then we're still stuck with Del Zotto, and I assume we want to make room for Juolevi on the left side.

Greg Pateryn has been quietly solid as a 2nd/3rd pairing RD for Dallas. Definitely wouldn't want to go too crazy, but he'd be a potential option for depth behind Tanev, and would be a major upgrade on Gudbranson. Imagine Dallas will fight hard to keep him though. Plus, we've already got Gudbranson.

------

Unfortunately I can see Jimbo throwing an ugly contract Jack Johnson's way once Carlson turns us down.

Jack Johnson would be the definition of a Jim Benning target. Skates real good! Shoots real hard! Absolutely terrible player!

The guy wanted to be here. He is clearly a character player. He's still logging top-four minutes at evens.

Everything about how the whole Hamhuis situation was handled made zero sense and makes even less sense in hindsight.

And yeah, the decision not to retain him at a massive hometown discount - especially given all the rhetoric from this administration about character and mentoring - was absolutely idiotic. The guy would still be the #3 defender on this team.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
They need a stop gap center. Pettersson will probably play the wing to start his nhl career. They have Horvat Sutter Gaudette at center. A guy like Paul Stastny I don't mind on a 2yr contract. They don't have any other center prospects. Ufa Defensemen aside from Carlsson, I don't see any other ufa defensemen that interest me. Carlsson will probably want a long term deal

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Jack Johnson would be the definition of a Jim Benning target. Skates real good! Shoots real hard! Absolutely terrible player!

Everything about how the whole Hamhuis situation was handled made zero sense and makes even less sense in hindsight.

And yeah, the decision not to retain him at a massive hometown discount - especially given all the rhetoric from this administration about character and mentoring - was absolutely idiotic. The guy would still be the #3 defender on this team.

I would be shocked if De Haan or Jack Johnson aren't offered big deals here. Like, 25 over 5 type deals. High pedigree guys that Benning loves.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

If anyone is desperate for money it is Jack Johnson, he will tell his agent go find the highest bidder, it doesn't matter where.

Reactions: Canucks1096

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
They need a stop gap center. Pettersson will probably play the wing to start his nhl career. They have Horvat Sutter Gaudette at center. A guy like Paul Stastny I don't mind on a 2yr contract.

Stastny seems about right. Canucks wanted Backlund from the flames when he was a UFA, Stastny is a few years older, a big money 2 year deal (6-7m) or a 4 year 5-6m seem like something Jim would do.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
How does overpaying for a short term (unlikely to be accepted) deal buys you anything. Aside from finishing 20th instead of 28th

You still need a full roster. Canucks only have 3 centers going into next season Horvat Gaudette and Sutter. Pettersson will play the wing. They dont have any center prospects aside from Cassels and he has no nhl future. You are not going to have a natural winger move to center. Also with a player like Stastny. A playmaking center can help the development of Goldobin as well.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
That's actually the least offensive idea yet - for the Canucks. But would it even be palatable for Thorton? I don't remember the Canucks being a perpetually bottom 3 team before they went after Sedin. Thorton would be coming here to for sure not make the playoffs. How many sought after players at the end of their career want to go to one of the consistently worst teams in the league?

Plus hes a career loser wouldnt want him here for more then $1.5 mill

plus he's a jackass.

hard pass on jojo.

don't get me wrong, i care less than nothing about which defenseman we overpay. i just think in the short and long terms, giving stupid money and stupid term to a pair of jeff fingers will be less damaging (and probably cheaper) than doing the same to a pair of david clarksons.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
plus he's a jackass.

hard pass on jojo.

don't get me wrong, i care less than nothing about which defenseman we overpay. i just think in the short and long terms, giving stupid money and stupid term to a pair of jeff fingers will be less damaging (and probably cheaper) than doing the same to a pair of david clarksons.

Your right he is a classless jackass. Would be a slap to the face of the Sedins to get this clown in the org now. Hes a playoff choker too. Im glad when he fails every year

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

The Sedins truly are amazing, because for one night, they managed to mesmerize a despondent fanbase and distract from the doom and gloom management has inflicted upon this franchise.

But now it's back to reality. And I've already braced myself for Benning to add Jack Johnson and Tyler Bozak to keep us "competitive" and foster a "winning culture".

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver

Lol. He certainly does have a type.

I remember disliking Jack Johnson from the first moment I saw him play, at the World Juniors in Vancouver in 2006. It was after his infamous cheap shot on Downie, and USA was playing against Finland. Johnson took a key penalty during the game and Finland scored on the PP. The crowd was really giving it to Johnson, and after the goal I yelled out "Sucks to your asthmar Johnson!" You know, typical crowd jeer that references William Golding's Lord of the Flies. A lady in front of me turned around and said, "Excuse me, could you stop swearing in front of my kid?" I said, "Ma'am, I am not swearing, I am quoting a literary classic." But she just didn't want to know.

So yeah, I hope we don't sign Jack Johnson.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
plus he's a jackass.

hard pass on jojo.

Haha because he put his finger in henrik's face to annoy him? I could understand if he tried to take his head off - but a little finger to the face? That's what friends do to each other to annoy them during tv interviews (in this case I am sure it wasn't in a friendly way - but still) This team used to have Kesler, Burrows, and Lapierre - at the same time. Pretty sure everyone int he league thought they were jackasses but the canucks loved them. Dorsett (while he's great in the room lol) seemed to do some silly stuff after the whistle as well and management loved him.

None of these signings make sense to me - but the one with the shortest term would be my pick (just because nothing matters in the next year or two anyways with this management group running things). I would assume that the older the player, the likelihood the term is shorter.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
I don't think any of the top UFAs are coming here. Guys like John Tavares, John Van Reimsdyk, and John Carlson are going to want to go to a team that is in a position to win, has the cap space to sign them and is able to offer 5 - 7 year term. That's not Vancouver. However - throw an offer at Carlson, JVR and Tavares - stranger things have happened.

We have a shot at Evander Kane - as he has a connection to Vancouver and he's young enough that we could conceivably win while he is here.

Other reasonable options are to re-sign Thomas Vanek on a short term deal (he will undoubtedly want a NTC).

Or look for a useful veteran with a horrible but short contract and trade for him and pickup a draft pick. Jason Spezza @ $7.5M for 1 more year would be an ideal target.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I don't think any of the top UFAs are coming here. Guys like John Tavares, John Van Reimsdyk, and John Carlson are going to want to go to a team that is in a position to win, has the cap space to sign them and is able to offer 5 - 7 year term. That's not Vancouver. However - throw an offer at Carlson, JVR and Tavares - stranger things have happened.

We have a shot at Evander Kane - as he has a connection to Vancouver and he's young enough that we could conceivably win while he is here.

Other reasonable options are to re-sign Thomas Vanek on a short term deal (he will undoubtedly want a NTC).

Or look for a useful veteran with a horrible but short contract and trade for him and pickup a draft pick. Jason Spezza @ $7.5M for 1 more year would be an ideal target.
I agree with you that under normal circumstances the top UFA's would never come to a team like the Canucks....but the wildcard is the owner....I mean how many more seasons are the Aquilini's going to twiddle their thumbs while this team bottoms out in the standings?.....Canucks have missed the playoffs four out of the last five seasons, and the only year they made it they were dispatched by Calgary in the first round.

Just have a gut feeling the Canucks won't be able to resist the temptation of 'a quick fix' once again. For that reason I think they'll be serious players for some of the top UFA's with the Sedin money off the books.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
If we were to go after a big name UFA - the only ones under 28 who are of any interest are:

• John Tavares
  • John Van Reimsdyk
  • John Carlson
  • Evander Kane

We simply have nothing other than $$ to offer the first 3. All of these guys are going to have 6 and 7 year offers on the table from teams that are a lot closer to winning than the Canucks. Kane is the youngest at 26 and has ties to Vancouver. The only thing I wouldn't offer Kane is a NMC - maybe a limited NTC. With his background, if he goes on a hookers and blow safari I would want to be able to trade him. Kane doesn't really check the boxes when it comes to development, leadership and support, but he is a very solid physical presence on the ice and can support by carrying the offense of a line.

I'd also be concerned about JVR and Carlson on 6 or 7 year terms because at 34 - 35 they could be in serious decline.

Linden mentioned being judicious in free agency and looking at players who could support the development of the young players we have. He is basically talking about re-signing Thomas Vanek. I'd have no problem with Vanek -he was really good with Boeser and Horvat.

The other support player I would look at would be a trade for Jason Spezza. Next to Loui Eriksson, he has one of the worst contracts in the league - $7.5M for 1 more season. Dallas had a very disappointing season as they were expected to be a playoff contender. If they cleared $7.5M from their cap, they could take a run at Tavares, JVR or Kane and probably be a contender again if they could solve their goal tending. What kind of pick would they give up to clear $7.5M?

The Canucks have also got to come to grips with the idea that Loui Eriksson is done like dinner. He's waiver eligible after July when his NMC converts to a NTC. You can't talk about accountability and then gift a roster spot to a guy who is worse than your 4th liners. You also can't afford to lose a Goldobin, Leipsic or even Boucher or Motte on waivers to protect Loui Eriksson. If he doesn't earn a top 6 spot in training camp he should be competing with all of the hungry young guys who want roster spots. If he comes up short, he's riding the bus.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->