Speculation: Canucks will offer BiG money AAV but short term on mystery UFA ( possibly John Carlson)

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Sportsnet 650 was discussing this rumor today and they cited Elliot Friedman as the source.

Apparently Canucks are willing to overpay and offer John Carlson somewhere in the neighbourhood of 10 mil a year BUT the term would be for 3 yrs or less.

Weve seen the Canucks do this before w. Sundin.

I think this would be a brilliant move. Not only is Carlson a stud and would immesely help our youth movement but we would also be able to trade him for a kings ransom in 2 to 3 yrs.

Friedman also mentioned the Canucks are very interested in taking on bad contracts in exchange for assets and or draft picks.

Looks like it will be a huge off season for Canucks thanks to the 14 mil coming off the books w the Sedins retiring.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
We really need a thread on all these players who might be rumoured to be of interest to the Canucks future money waste plans?? This is getting silly

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
Sportsnet 650 was discussing this rumor today and they cited Elliot Friedman as the source.

Apparently Canucks are willing to overpay and offer John Carlson somewhere in the neighbourhood of 10 mil a year BUT the term would be for 3 yrs or less.

I think this would be a brilliant move. Not only is Carlson a stud and would immesely help our youth movement but we would also be able to trade him for a kings ransom in 2 to 3 yrs.

Friedman also mentioned the Canucks are very interested in taking on bad contracts in exchange for assets and or draft picks.

Looks like it will be a huge off season for Canucks thanks to the 14 mil coming off the books w the Sedins retiring.

Yep, it only took 4 years and 3000 posts to came across "this brilliant move", or to use the cap space properly. 4 years. Amazing.

Reactions: Son of Petter

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Not sure how I feel about this.

Carlson alone is not going to turn this team around, though he would easily be our best defenceman.

So long as it wasn't for a long time, i guess. But this just smells like going from finishing 7th to finishing 12th.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Smart enough to pay him 10m? Would secure us being average for more years. Might as well tank properly 1-2 more years.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Of course you think this would be a brilliant move. You think anything Jim Benning does is brilliant. Benning could trade away Boeser, Horvat, Pettersson, and our next 5 first round picks for Jaromir Jagr and you'd say it was brilliant.

The Canucks gave Sundin an offer knowing he wouldn't have accepted the 2-year deal. It was settled on a 1-year deal, which was actually only half a season so it was even pro-rated. Also, that team was actually good and looking for the missing piece to a Cup run. It wasn't the worst team in the NHL for the previous 3 year period. This would be a shockingly dumb, but laughable move.

Actually I kinda hope this happens. Lock up all that cap space in 1 player so the next GM will have all that once Benning is punted from this organization.

Now to the second point: taking on bad contracts in exchange for assets and/or draft picks is exactly what some of us have been saying the team should do. I would be okay with that, and think there's a great opportunity to be had with the Erik Karlsson trade. Ottawa wants to dump Bobby Ryan with him. A contending team that wants to add Karlsson obviously wouldn't be able to afford Ryan too, so getting involved in that where we take Ryan and a 1st round pick (and prospect perhaps) in exchange for taking on Ryan's contract would be a wise move. Too wise that I don't expect it to happen.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I’m pretty sure that I wasn’t listening to the same segment and it seemed more like speculation than a rumour.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
I don't think Kane wants to come here anyways. He loves being in San Jose
Why San Jose is actually pretty far from LA. Some people think cause its the same state its pretty much the same thing but its actually really far away

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
It's a good strategy but I don't think it will work for Carlson, who could be in line for 7 or 8 year contract.

Could see it working for someone like Bozak or Stastny, though.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Yep, it only took 4 years and 3000 posts to came across "this brilliant move", or to use the cap space properly. 4 years. Amazing.
I know it gives me great confidence when it only takes a full Presidential term for high-paid executives to figure out something that the entire Internet already knew.

In related news, the Canucks' $10 million study has concluded that there is a website – Google – that will help make their web searches easier. No more combing through billions of webpages to find what you need!

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Short term? Sure.

We have enough overpaid mid range guys here on middling terms. I don't mind overpaying for a better player, again short term, if he fits what our team needs. We don't need more Sutters, Gagners, Erikssons or other overpaid, at best middle 6 players. A top shelf D? Sure. If we land Carlson for a year or two at an absorbent rate, we could still seduce the guy with our beautiful views and get him at a lower rate for longer, later.

Carlson is not a magic bullet though, we'd need more improvements to not be considered a laughing stock.

Maybe league max for Tavares too?

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
I guess we have even if we haven’t.
Doesn't seem like this has been anything close to a textbook tank. Seems like a horrible team that was yet again trying to scrape into the playoffs (that was only possible if everything went absolutely perfect) but failed yet again.

Instead they got no draft picks for expiring contracts and resigned an inured, useless dman to top 4 money. Was going to type more but what's the point. This is a horrible hockey team and the future seems very bleak.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Who comes out of the lineup and suddenly the team starts stringing wins together...
I don't understand how the Canucks are surviving (yet alone winning) without the toughness and protection he brings to the line up. No one else can bring what he brings to the rink - and he's so good in the room. The Canucks room must be not nearly as good as it was either! Hopefully he comes back real soon so the room can be good again.

Reactions: Jyrki21

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Bigger money for short AVV...

I don't think Carlson fits this. He'll attract both term and money elsewhere. Nor does giving him $10m help anything in the room.
I don't think Kane fits this. He would be a longer term signing if with us... 4-5 yrs. But if 4-5 yrs is considered shorter term relative to 7, then you could say he fits.

Potential fits for this strategy, one, MAYBE two of the following:
I think Vanek for 2 yrs. ~$5m
I think Bozak for 2 or 3 yrs. ~$5m
I think Mike Green might for 1 or 2. ~$6m

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad