Speculation: Canucks will offer BiG money AAV but short term on mystery UFA ( possibly John Carlson)

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Sign Carlson 2 years 12 million per, trade him at 50% at next deadline for a haul.

Sure, why not? Entirely dependent on what the player wants. Big money short term, or long deal with higher guaranteed money?

Last edited:

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I just hope they don't SCREW UP Alex Edler at the deadline next year.

Say hey, you have a fresh 2 or 3 year deal on that table only if you waive for a few months.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
he would be an absolute perfect addition to the Canucks line-up, if we can sign him and Mike Green, then our defence will have added 100 points.

Edler-Carlson
Juolevi-Green
Pouliot-Tanev
Gudbranson

Hutton + Stecher traded.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
it's a stupid move but at this point I'll take virtually anything that pairs Juolevi with a bonafide top 4 defenceman

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
Carlson is leading the league in points for Defencemen, so it's guaranteed he'll be paid if Washington can't do it. I just can't see any reason for him to come here when he'll have his choice of teams as the best FA market Dman since Suter if he does reach FA.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Sportsnet 650 was discussing this rumor today and they cited Elliot Friedman as the source.

Apparently Canucks are willing to overpay and offer John Carlson somewhere in the neighbourhood of 10 mil a year BUT the term would be for 3 yrs or less.

Weve seen the Canucks do this before w. Sundin.

I think this would be a brilliant move. Not only is Carlson a stud and would immesely help our youth movement but we would also be able to trade him for a kings ransom in 2 to 3 yrs.

Friedman also mentioned the Canucks are very interested in taking on bad contracts in exchange for assets and or draft picks.

Looks like it will be a huge off season for Canucks thanks to the 14 mil coming off the books w the Sedins retiring.

2 things.

First, the cap is rising by a lot. So teams might be able to simply buyout bad deals rather Than deal picks to get rid of them. Depends on who they need to sign and how right they are.

Second, good players like Carlson probably are not interest in moving around. He knows he can get paid and get 7 years at $7 million plus per. So why pass up a $50 million guaranteed to take $30 guaranteed to hit the market again at 31?

It’s th mid level guys that have to move around to maximize earnings

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Carlson is a 28 year old who just put up 15G 65P+ season. He's going to get a 6-7 year deal for sure.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Sign Carlson 2 years 12 million per, trade him at 50% at next deadline for a haul.

Sure, why not? Entirely dependent on what the player wants. Big money short term, or long deal with higher guaranteed money?

Why would Carlson do this? And why, of all places, Vancouver?

IF he were to do this kind of short term deal, it would be to pump up his value even more so he can cash in on a final, to-retirement contract. It makes no sense to do this for the following reasons: 1) the canucks are no good and will not pump up his value, and 2) his value is likely already peaked after a career year.

He's taking a max term deal at 7.5+. He's just going to point at Brent Burns and say "do it".

We all know, that when Benning dips into the UFA market he's going to grossly overpay for some mid-tier, unneccesary, meh veterans.

Reactions: timw33

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Chances are we get 2-3 new at best middling players on bad contracts. They will subsiquently get hyped up as foundational like Sutter. And then we will spend the next 2 seasons arguing about if these players are good or not to people who do not come to their conclusions logically.

Can not wait for the appeals to authority and the exclusive use of the eye test as a legit "unbiased" piece of information.

Reactions: timw33

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Chances are we get 2-3 new at best middling players on bad contracts. They will subsiquently get hyped up as foundational like Sutter. And then we will spend the next 2 seasons arguing about if these players are good or not to people who do not come to their conclusions logically.

Can not wait for the appeals to authority and the exclusive use of the eye test as a legit "unbiased" piece of information.

Us in 2-3 years: "Wait wait wait, why exactly don't we have any cap space to re-sign Petterson and Boeser?"

Reactions: WTG

Munber1

Jun 5, 2011
very very stupid and lazy to overpay some amazing player, hoping that throwing money at a player will make everything ok... It's more difficult but worth it to take more time, to think and plan more to spend wisely and spread the money around a few players to have a more balanced team...one amazing player...fun to watch but less options for the team and easier for the opposition to figure out how to play against... look at oilers vs vegas...also, other team players will feel more inspired to play their best if they don't feel they are playing in the shadow of a superstar...would feel like they are a bigger part of the team if they had a few players who are a bit less amazing but still very good players to play with...encourage synergy

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
If I was going to guess who we have signed on day 1 of FA I'd guess it's Bozak. There's the connection with Newport and we have a center spot open. I can see Stastny and Filppula being targets as well.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Sportsnet 650 was discussing this rumor today and they cited Elliot Friedman as the source.

Apparently Canucks are willing to overpay and offer John Carlson somewhere in the neighbourhood of 10 mil a year BUT the term would be for 3 yrs or less.

Weve seen the Canucks do this before w. Sundin.

I think this would be a brilliant move. Not only is Carlson a stud and would immesely help our youth movement but we would also be able to trade him for a kings ransom in 2 to 3 yrs.

Friedman also mentioned the Canucks are very interested in taking on bad contracts in exchange for assets and or draft picks.

Looks like it will be a huge off season for Canucks thanks to the 14 mil coming off the books w the Sedins retiring.

Like others have said, I don't think it will be Kane short term.

The thought of perhaps using that space to take contracts and picks intrigues me.

Well look whose the OP :laugh:

You really shouldn't be making fun of other posters....

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Benning/Weisbrod probably think they are so clever here. I bet this is the conversation they had: "Based on previous UFA signings, the issue with highly sought after UFAs is term. Players regress and the contract is bad. Let's just shorten the term and offer them more money, problem solved!" ... yet somehow they fail to recognize that players would rather have guaranteed money on a long-term contract to compensate for career-ending injuries.

God, our management is incompetent.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
While I like the idea of going short-term, big-dollars, I'm skeptical that it would work for a player in Carlson's shoes. Carlson is probably looking at 7 x $8-9 million per as a UFA, or $56-63 million in guaranteed dollars. Given that, the Canucks would likely need to guarantee him at least $40 million over 3 years, maybe more, to put their offer in the same ballpark financially (e.g. he can fairly safely bet on getting ~$5 million per over four years after the three year deal expires). Then you're looking at the fact you're asking him to come to one of the worst teams in the league situated in a country he's never lived in before. Even if you went up to $15 million per season over three years, I don't think Carlson would find that appealing.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Carlson will get 7 million for 7 years from a team far better than the Canucks. And his agent has to know that this is likely a career season, so it wouldn't make sense to risk to leaving 20 or so million on the table, when he could get injured or significantly regress. For smart UFAs, it's all about long-term security, no a quick buck.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
While I like the idea of going short-term, big-dollars, I'm skeptical that it would work for a player in Carlson's shoes. Carlson is probably looking at 7 x $8-9 million per as a UFA, or $56-63 million in guaranteed dollars. Given that, the Canucks would likely need to guarantee him at least $40 million over 3 years, maybe more, to put their offer in the same ballpark financially (e.g. he can fairly safely bet on getting ~$5 million per over four years after the three year deal expires). Then you're looking at the fact you're asking him to come to one of the worst teams in the league situated in a country he's never lived in before. Even if you went up to $15 million per season over three years, I don't think Carlson would find that appealing.

Exactly. Not that I think many are, but a player worth max money on a short term deal is probably going to get 8-9Mil on a 7 year term during UFA season. Why in the world would they take a short term deal to play for one of the worst teams in the league. This is utter nonsense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad