Post-Game Talk: Canucks Training Camp (2) - Loui Eriksson Era Is Over

VibinCanuck

No doubt about it, I am ready to get hurt again
Sep 13, 2014
Vancouver
Surprised the Canucks haven't gotten another goalie yet for the taxi squad. I don't like Dipietro getting no playing time in a important development year.

Surprised Michaelis and Rathbone are still with the team

Moj is hearing Baertschi is going to Utica... which seems like a mistake.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Surprised the Canucks haven't gotten another goalie yet for the taxi squad. I don't like Dipietro getting no playing time in a important development year.

Why? I expected Baertschi to go down the whole time. He was surplus to requirements last year to the point they exiled him to Utica, I don’t see what’s changed. He wouldn’t be the first call up in a normal year what’s the use of having him around.

His Canuck career ended with Benning’s presser about his trade request last season.

VibinCanuck

Sep 13, 2014
Vancouver
Why? I expected Baertschi to go down the whole time. He was surplus to requirements last year to the point they exiled him to Utica, I don’t see what’s changed. He wouldn’t be the first call up in a normal year what’s the use of having him around.

His Canuck career ended with Benning’s presser about his trade request last season.

Because I believed Benning would "do-right" with Sven keeping him with the team and he's probably a better option for the 2nd or 3rd line if injuries come up than a bunch of players who will make the "taxi-squad". Especially for the 2nd PP.

I'll maintain, last pre-season we saw Baertschi and Gaudette had some decent chemistry in a game and they never looked at it again.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017

Why is that a mistake? He is useless

VibinCanuck

Sep 13, 2014
Vancouver
Why is that a mistake? He is useless

So if there's an injury to the top 6 you think putting Eriksson, Bailey or MacEwen is a better option with Gaudette when Virtanen moves up the lineup than Baertschi? I'm not saying play him when they're healthy, I believe he's a better top 9 option than who they'll keep.

Of course only if injuries happen, but that's the purpose of the taxi squad.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
So if there's an injury to the top 6 you think putting Eriksson, Bailey or MacEwen is a better option with Gaudette when Virtanen moves up the lineup than Baertschi? I'm not saying play him when they're healthy, I believe he's a better top 9 option than who they'll keep.

Of course only if injuries happen, but that's the purpose of the taxi squad.
He is soft, slow and weak. Yes, I think Bailey and Macewen are better options. I refuse to mention Loui’s name again (after this post)

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Went to bet on Hoglander winning the Calder and since I last checked 2 days ago his odds of winning have gone from 51:1 to 13:1. Good luck this season, you guys have a fun team to watch.

Reactions: Canuckle1970

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Because I believed Benning would "do-right" with Sven keeping him with the team and he's probably a better option for the 2nd or 3rd line if injuries come up than a bunch of players who will make the "taxi-squad". Especially for the 2nd PP.

I'll maintain, last pre-season we saw Baertschi and Gaudette had some decent chemistry in a game and they never looked at it again.
I just think the bridge has been burnt. I kind of agree on his game but the organization disagrees completely based on what they’ve done.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Baertschi played at a 0.5ppg+ clip when he was with us and had a significant amount of skill to produce offense and finish in our top 9. I think him being buried has everything to do with his cap hit and nothing to do with the quality of player he is. Its still sort of absurd to me that he hasn't gotten any chance to play at the NHL level since being buried by us. The dude is a good NHL player.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Baertschi played at a 0.5ppg+ clip when he was with us and had a significant amount of skill to produce offense and finish in our top 9. I think him being buried has everything to do with his cap hit and nothing to do with the quality of player he is. Its still sort of absurd to me that he hasn't gotten any chance to play at the NHL level since being buried by us. The dude is a good NHL player.

I'm surprised a lot of ate up everything they had to say when they sent him down. I look at our roster last year and I wonder who they thought was better than him. JV is my guess, but Virtanen is so, so frustrating to watch. He got a lot better last year, but he still doesn't do the things Sven does that complements Horvat's game.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
So currently ..would the 7/8 Dman be Benn, and one of Rathbone/Chatfeild...?

I have a hard time believing that it won't be Rafferty/Chatfield given they have the same contract and are right handed. Rathbone is a LD and has a$225,000 higher cap hit. With the maneuvering they need to do to start the season, just to squeak under the cap ceiling, it really needs to be someone on a minimum contract.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
31 teams disagree with you. He is a decent AHL player. He would be a star in the KHL and he should consider trying to revive his career overseas. He put up those numbers playing on the PP and top 6. No team in the league has room for him in their top 6 regardless of what he is being paid. He is far too soft to play a defensive role

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
We have waived him letting any team that wished to take him for free and even looked at trading him and got no takers. NHL GMs can misjudge players, especially players with a cap hit such as Sven has, but it's telling that we didn't get any offers that even made it to the rumor mill stage.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
In Utica his net front work has been his greatest defensive weakness both at 5 on 5 and the PK. His best skill on the PK is blocking shots and he will get hurt. His other nightmare play was turning it over on the offensive blueline on the PP leading to length of the ice clean breakaways.

Other weaknesses pointed out here in a few posts were also problems, but I have let you guys watch him and many of you seem to think he's going to be just fine. Maybe he will. I'm just going to wait and see if he has made great strides since we last saw him here. As always, I wish any former Comet the best in his NHL endeavors.

I'm really not super high on OJ. He was never the right pick at 5th (I wanted Keller FWIW, also a small miss). His injury issues have hurt his stock even further and I'm not sure he really has the even-strength defending ability to be a top-four player.

I'm just hoping we can make something out of a guy who was the franchise's highest draft selection since the Sedins.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
D zone face offs are hugely important, especially on the PK. Beagle, like you point out, just isn’t much of a player any more after the draw. But he still can contribute more than Big Mac.

I...am not really sure about that.

Beagle is a known known: We know he's not great at even-strength. He's a useful faceoff guy for the PK, but at best the advantage you're getting is like a 5% improvement vs. Horvat and Sutter taking more draws. How many extra faceoff wins on the PK does that equate to over a season? Like 20 maybe?

Mac is known unknown: We don't really know what his potential is. I'm not even a MacEwen fan at all, but I'd probably rather see what he's got than run Beagle.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

Baertschi is a classic top 6 scoring player on a bad team. He is by no means a good NHLer but can be useful for rebuilding teams until they can find a better replacement.

Reactions: David71

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I'm surprised a lot of ate up everything they had to say when they sent him down. I look at our roster last year and I wonder who they thought was better than him. JV is my guess, but Virtanen is so, so frustrating to watch. He got a lot better last year, but he still doesn't do the things Sven does that complements Horvat's game.
Yeah, I don't understand why people fell into believing that he played differently since his concussion and that he wasn't the same, he played in a more dangerous league (the AHL is unpredictable compared to the NHL) and produced very well.

I just think the org is finished with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad