Post-Game Talk: Canucks Training Camp (2) - Loui Eriksson Era Is Over

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
My family is fine. We are staying in self imposed isolation at this point as the city of Utica is Oneida county one of the hottest COVID spots in New York State. We have frequently been considered one of the State's worst COVID spots in the last few weeks. Too many idiots believing they were safe because they weren't in a big city and partied hard in backyard gatherings, indoor house parties, either traveled to or hosted big family/friends Thanksgiving holiday, same once again for Christmas, and lastly New Year's Eve. Thanksgiving caused a big surge around Christmas and now the Christmas surge is worse and the New Year's surge will draw in while the Christmas problem is still going strong.

Comets management still determined to operate without fans. They are going to buy season ticket holders who put down 1/2 or all of their money for this season AHL.com for both home and away for all Comet' games. So, I am hoping to watch all of the Canucks and Comets games in the comfort of my own home. No braving the winter snow, freezing cold, unplowed parking lots, and wacko drivers going too fast on the slippery, icy, snowy roads with way too many drinks served up pregame, during the game, and even post-game in the Aud bars and beer stands. The beer concessions end before the game, but the bars stay open for a limited time.

It will take at least until the 2021-22 season to get back to safely attend a hockey game. But hey, If I'm at the games I have to stay up half the night making out my report to you HF Canucks fans and/or stay up half the night reading through the Canucks GDTs.

I'll be communicating with you guys. You give me something to do in my down time and I have lots of it. HA! HA!
Hi, I know others have said it before, but I’ll add my voice as well.

Thank you so much for the information that you provide from the Utica Comets. You’re obviously a dedicated fan & prolific Poster who we’re very fortunate to have here.

Really good to read in your reply to @Hit the post that you & your family are doing well, which is the most important thing of course.

All the best as we approach the start of the season.

Cheers
CE3108A2-9CA3-4D1C-A18B-82628D887956.gif

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019

Thank you so much for the information that you provide from the Utica Comets. You’re obviously a dedicated fan & prolific Poster who we’re very fortunate to have here.

Really good to read in your reply to @Hit the post that you & your family are doing well, which is the most important thing of course.

Cheers
View attachment 383446

I thanked him recently. Stop biting my style braaaaaa.

Rumsfeld

Oct 3, 2020
MacEwen needs to come in for one of Beagle or Sutter. Someone else can handle their PK duties, it's not like either of them are dynamos shorthanded.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
MacEwen needs to come in for one of Beagle or Sutter. Someone else can handle their PK duties, it's not like either of them are dynamos shorthanded.
Not happening. Beagle and Sutter are our two best face-off guys. I like Big Mac, but he really doesn’t do much. He just doesn’t move fast enough, or do anything well enough.

Rumsfeld

Oct 3, 2020
Not happening. Beagle and Sutter are our two best face-off guys. I like Big Mac, but he really doesn’t do much. He just doesn’t move fast enough, or do anything well enough.

They're on the same line so we only need one of them for faceoffs. Beagle is absolute garbage 5-on-5, he brings nothing and is probably slower than Zack. MacEwen brings energy, size and physicality to that line.

The problem is that Green plays the fourth line way too much, Zack would be fine playing limited minutes in an energy role. He was way more effective than Beagle at even strength in the playoffs and at least brings an element of toughness and grit, something this team desperately needs.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Miller and Horvat are both better than Sutter at faceoffs, they can step on for the draw and change.

Reactions: Luckylarry

SopelFanThe3rd

Cock of the Walk
Oct 25, 2020
Your Mother's House.
I think it was such a safe signing at the time compared to Lucic and Ladd. You could argue it was still better than those two contracts.... but that shows how bad they were too. It should have been a good contract for 4 years and maybe a tough pill to swallow for last 2. Who would have known it would be terrible from year 1....

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I think it was such a safe signing at the time compared to Lucic and Ladd. You could argue it was still better than those two contracts.... but that shows how bad they were too. It should have been a good contract for 4 years and maybe a tough pill to swallow for last 2. Who would have known it would be terrible from year 1....

I thought we'd get 1 f***ing good year out of him. I think he is by far the biggest albatross/most disappointing signing since Messier.

Miller and Horvat are both better than Sutter at faceoffs, they can step on for the draw and change.

The most frustrating thing I don't understand is when we acquired him, Sutter was career ~50% faceoffs, and was marketed as a faceoff guy. Which makes no sense, to be any advantage you want to be above 52% at least. His first 3 seasons he became good at faceoffs over night. He's back to where he was before though. Strange.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I think MacEwen is going to surprise some folks this year. The combination of size and intensity is much needed. He has underrated offensive skill and there are some weak spots at right wing that he will be targeting for playing time.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019

Cheers
View attachment 383446
To add to this, Cuomo just sent out new guidelines on the Phase 1b roll out for vaccination yesterday. Check to see if you qualify. The vaccine supply to NY state should start to pick up soon since Emergency Use Authorization for the Astra Zeneca and Johnson & Johnson vaccines are imminent.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Hilarious.

Guy who’s celebrate the hardest today was the guy calling it a steal.

As is tradition. Most of the folks making fun of the 2017 HN projection of our 2020 lineup will also pencil in every prospect to our 2023 lineup.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
IMO, Sbisa was always a serviceable 6/7/8th defender type. The problem was the Canucks cast him as a top four defensemen in spite of ample evidence that that wasn't going to work out.

Gudbranson is a different story.
This will go down as part of Benning's legacy...raising expectations that players can play above their ability. It's a sad story actually.
Sutter is another example. Solid NHL player but over promoted.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

Not surprised. I think we'll see Baertschi there, too.

My guess for the taxi squad was;

Taxi Squad:
Jake Keilly (G)
Jalen Chatfield
Ashton Sautner
Loui Eriksson
Sven Baertschi
Justin Bailey

Keilly isn't sticking around, which would seem to indicate either DiPietro or a different option in goal. But the other players on this list have not been assigned to Utica at this time.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad