Post-Game Talk: Canucks Training Camp (2) - Loui Eriksson Era Is Over

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
Mods, why has the Eriksson thread been merged with this one? Seems like it deserves its own thread

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
benn played both sides with us. green didn't seem to like him on either.

it seems to me you can get away with one lefty rhd, but if they play both benn and schmidt on the right side, teams will key on that for sure.
IIRC He’s barely played on his off side here

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
A long season draws to a close. The Canucks are facing elimination from playoff contention. Loui Eriksson is forced into the lineup due to injuries. His return is unspectacular in a tie game until the 3rd period when Green increases his ice time. Eriksson starts feeling it. 1 minute to go...tie game. The Canucks have immense pressure in the offensive zone. EP has the puck...passes to Loui Eriksson who has a partially open net. He shots and....MISSES 20FT wide leading to a odd man scoring chance that goes into their own net..and eliminating the Canucks.

Why did I briefly think that was going to end positive.

I've been loui'd once again.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Well, considering all 3 of the Canucks' right-handed defensemen missed only one game total last year, I would imagine his only game on the right side was when Myers sat out on March 4th, against Arizona. That was also Benn's first game back in the lineup after sitting for two weeks, and his last of the season as well.
I had a feeling it was limited. The other poster made it seem as if it was more frequent

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
It’s been hours and I’m still celebrating! Best news of 2021 so far!

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Today is the day we have all been waiting for, how does it feel?
Don’t know why people are acting like we just won the cup. You realize he is still taking up like 5mill in cap space, and has already cost us the ability to retain multiple good players, right?

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
Posters seem to be reacting like the Eriksson era in VanCity is over just because he's on waivers. All it means is that they're shifting him to the taxi squad to start the season. There's not a chance in the world he'd ever be claimed, and I think it only saves the Canucks basically pennies on the dollar in terms of the salary cap for him to be on the taxi squad.

And he's not going to Utica, because it would actually cost the Canucks a lot more money for him to play in the States and be exempt from escrow payments in the NHL-NHLPA collective agreement.

Now if Benning was negotiating to loan him to a team in the SHL, then that would be a big deal.
Just keep him off the starting roster. If he’s playing games, something’s gone wrong.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Horvath once again will be asked to handle those minutes that doesn't suit him. No choice as they isn't anybody remotely better.

I would love to see Bronco take on that role. He was an excellent center and is on the Stanley cup. Was a giant for the Rochester Americans in his final years. Was recently inducted into the NHL Hall of Fame.

LOL! LOL! I know you meant Bo. Been tipping the bottle a little early today?

Just funning with you over a simple typo.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I would love to see Bronco take on that role. He was an excellent center and is on the Stanley cup. Was a giant for the Rochester Americans in his final years. Was recently inducted into the NHL Hall of Fame.

LOL! LOL! I know you meant Bo. Been tipping the bottle a little early today?

Just funning with you over a simple typo.
I could blame it on my phone's autocorrect....but I'm not THAT lame (I'm lame...but not THAT lame).:naughty:

OT: How's it going in your neck of the woods Bad Goalie (re: COVID/pandemic)? Hope you're (and your family) are doing fine.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I think the PK is good place for OJ to get more minutes too. His scouting report has always said he's a pretty smart player, so hopefully reading the play and getting in lanes will come naturally to him defending in-zone.

His skating is the trouble, where he gets burned defending in transition. That shouldn't be an issue on the PK though.

In Utica his net front work has been his greatest defensive weakness both at 5 on 5 and the PK. His best skill on the PK is blocking shots and he will get hurt. His other nightmare play was turning it over on the offensive blueline on the PP leading to length of the ice clean breakaways.

Other weaknesses pointed out here in a few posts were also problems, but I have let you guys watch him and many of you seem to think he's going to be just fine. Maybe he will. I'm just going to wait and see if he has made great strides since we last saw him here. As always, I wish any former Comet the best in his NHL endeavors.
Marky has been our greatest success story.
Baertschi had his moments as did Goldobin.
Demko now seems to be on the verge of becoming tres important.
Biega was the only other one to actually see enough ice to be called NHL player.
A few others have moved up and down and some of those are still at it while others have moved out of the picture.
Juolevi, MacEwen, and Bailey are the most recent to get their shots.

Last edited:

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
All but 1.075MM, but then that 1.075MM gets used up by another roster player making no less than $700k so its negligible savings.

that $1.075 mill is harmonica. praise

actually, now that i think about it, we basically can just pretend we're paying hamonic the same $6 million dollars we're paying myers and edler and (basically) schmidt.

Reactions: rypper

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Looks like the roster is set. I don’t see us (once again) matching up well against heavy teams. We are a small / not very tough team again.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I could blame it on my phone's autocorrect....but I'm not THAT lame (I'm lame...but not THAT lame).:naughty:

OT: How's it going in your neck of the woods Bad Goalie (re: COVID/pandemic)? Hope you're (and your family) are doing fine.

My family is fine. We are staying in self imposed isolation at this point as the city of Utica is Oneida county one of the hottest COVID spots in New York State. We have frequently been considered one of the State's worst COVID spots in the last few weeks. Too many idiots believing they were safe because they weren't in a big city and partied hard in backyard gatherings, indoor house parties, either traveled to or hosted big family/friends Thanksgiving holiday, same once again for Christmas, and lastly New Year's Eve. Thanksgiving caused a big surge around Christmas and now the Christmas surge is worse and the New Year's surge will draw in while the Christmas problem is still going strong.

Comets management still determined to operate without fans. They are going to buy season ticket holders who put down 1/2 or all of their money for this season AHL.com for both home and away for all Comet' games. So, I am hoping to watch all of the Canucks and Comets games in the comfort of my own home. No braving the winter snow, freezing cold, unplowed parking lots, and wacko drivers going too fast on the slippery, icy, snowy roads with way too many drinks served up pregame, during the game, and even post-game in the Aud bars and beer stands. The beer concessions end before the game, but the bars stay open for a limited time.

It will take at least until the 2021-22 season to get back to safely attend a hockey game. But hey, If I'm at the games I have to stay up half the night making out my report to you HF Canucks fans and/or stay up half the night reading through the Canucks GDTs.

I'll be communicating with you guys. You give me something to do in my down time and I have lots of it. HA! HA!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad