Confirmed with Link: Canucks to induct Roberto Luongo into the Ring of Honour

BrentSopelsHair

Mar 2, 2016
StuckInYourDrain
Wow so players who bled Canuck colours like Linden and Smyl are "good but not great" yet players who sucked as much $ out of the city and then demanded trades are somehow more worthy of being in our "ring of honour". THAT to me is a "loser mentality". And Luongo is very far from being "one of the greatest goalies in the history of the league", in fact he NEVER EVER WON A SINGLE AWARD in the NHL. Hell at least Mike Liut won the Pearson (and over Gretzky no less)...
I mean, the ring of honour is a perfect place for good but not great players who bled Canucks colours, whereas retiring a jersey should be reserved for legends of the game. Obviously the concept didnt exist when Smyl was retired, but he would be a perfect ROH guy, and I would say the same for Linden, as by your standards they never won any awards, never won anything of significance with the team, etc. Also sucking $$ out of a city is an incredibly stupid point to include, because it's not a player's fault what a team offers them and he was worth every penny over the course of the contract while in Vancouver.

In terms of you saying that Luongo isn't one of the greatest ever, that just emphatically not true. #4 all-time in wins, #2 all-time in games played, holds every record of note for the franchise, and in terms of personal awards that's not true either considering he won the Jennings with Schneider in 2011. He would have been a deserving Vezina winner in any number of seasons, but had the misfortune of having his prime occur during the prime of Martin Brodeur

Reactions: Grip it N RYP it

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
i'm shocked by how many people think luongo deserves his number retired. he played less than half his career in vancouver, won nothing apart from a jennings and forced his way out when his backup outplayed him for a brief stretch. he's undeniably one of the nhl's best goalies of the modern era but that's what the hall of fame is for

getting your jersey retired should require outstanding contributions to the team not just raw stats

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
It cracks me up that the guy who loves Willie Desjardins and Sam Gagner is disparaging Luongo. Also hilarious this guy wants the Canucks to miss the playoffs by a single point to spite ownership but bitches at players getting their money from….ownership.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
So Luongo is the only Canucks member of HOF, who doesn't have his number retired? Count me as a bit baffled also. Is it because he played a chunk of his career with the Islanders and then the Panthers (twice)?

Not a great look on the Canucks organization. How many HOF goaltenders have they ever employed or are like to employ in the future? I'd suggest Luongo will in all likelihood be the only one.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
it made no sense to retire naslund's jersey in fall of 2010, so maybe the gillis connection is the correct take. gillis was the one who chucked naslund (and morrison) to the curb and brought in demitra to replace him on the ice and sundin to replace him in the room. it's definitely possible that to repair their professional and/or personal relationship, this was an olive branch to smooth things over.

otoh, it could easily just be aqua wanted to fanboy him.

like, i could see naslund's number being retired when he left the NHL in 2009, so a year earlier. the justification would be he holds all the records, came the closest to leading the league in scoring, and along with 2007 luongo came the closest to winning an MVP.

but as of the night naslund's jersey went up, henrik was 150 pts away from passing him and had won the hart/ross. whereas he was 300 pts behind when naslund retired.

and at that point it just seems silly to retire a guy who led the team to a single series win (not counting 2007, which he was there for but hardly led the way with his zero points in the last six games of the dallas series), when the subsequent luongo/sedin core had equaled that low bar three times in four years.

fwiw, this is the third thing that comes up when you googe markus naslund jersey retirement. people had a fondness for those post-messier rebound years, 2000–2004, but it made no objective sense at the time.
Thomas Gradin deserves his jersey retired far more than Nazzy. Moreso for his work for the organization as a scout. Now if Nazzy had convinced his best friend Floppa to play for the Canucks, I might feel different.

Last edited:
Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
So Luongo is the only Canucks member of HOF, who doesn't have his number retired? Count me as a bit baffled also. Is it because he played a chunk of his career with the Islanders and then the Panthers (twice)?

Not a great look on the Canucks organization. How many HOF goaltenders have they ever employed or are like to employ in the future? I'd suggest Luongo will in all likelihood be the only one.

I think that's what it boils down to. If the team wins the cup in 2011 or at very least he finishes his career in Vancouver, his number is a lock.

Weird that Bure went up and the way that ended was a ton more acrimonious.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I think that's what it boils down to. If the team wins the cup in 2011 or at very least he finishes his career in Vancouver, his number is a lock.

Weird that Bure went up and the way that ended was a ton more acrimonious.
The only way this will make some sense is if they become extremely selective with which jersey numbers they retire moving forward. Because if a HOF goalie who played seven and a half seasons during the prime of his career doesn't qualify then you've now set the bar pretty damn high moving forward.

Reactions: rypper

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
The only way this will make some sense is if they become extremely selective with which jersey numbers they retire moving forward. Because if a HOF goalie who played seven and a half seasons during the prime of his career doesn't qualify then you've now set the bar pretty damn high moving forward.

Yeah, because like I posted in an earlier reply in this thread, whatever the standard was to put Naslund up, Luongo has an even better case.

Maybe they'll be transparent going forward with what the standard is.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I am also of the belief that ROH is the right move, but that is only in a vacuum where you haven’t retired other less deserving players.

It also doesn’t seem to have been planned out or thought out much other than being an attempt to break the Doerrie news cycle.

Reactions: Kevinsane

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
It cracks me up that the guy who loves Willie Desjardins and Sam Gagner is disparaging Luongo. Also hilarious this guy wants the Canucks to miss the playoffs by a single point to spite ownership but bitches at players getting their money from….ownership.

I especially love listening to Canuck fans like you dis good guys like Gagner (who's closing in on 1000 NHL games) and Willie D. while fawning all over guys like Lou who couldn't get out of here fast enough once he made his dough off of FAQ who you also seem to like.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Ring of Honour or whatever stupid name it has was always a dumb ass idea typical of a gimp franchise that’s never won anything largely due to stupid ideas.

Luongo is probably not worthy of retirement anywhere, but the HoF makes some more sense since it’s about overall contribution to the game.

Reactions: Seattle Totems

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
If it wasn't for Crosby and Brodeur in 2006-2007, Luongo was walking away with the Hart and Vezina trophies. Did people forget how good he was that year? Literally could not score an ounce and we finished top 3 in the Western Conference that year.

Reactions: BrentSopelsHair

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
Canucks have the team numbers retired in Smyl, Linden and Naslund.
Canucks have the HOF numbers retired in Bure and the Sedins.

That's 6 retired jersey's.

Also, I can't remember what was the sole reason Naslund's number was retired?
Naslund has a major award ,a 3 time 1st team all star and is the longest tenured captain.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Naslund has a major award ,a 3 time 1st team all star and is the longest tenured captain.
If it wasn't for Crosby and Brodeur in 2006-2007, Luongo was walking away with the Hart and Vezina trophies. Did people forget how good he was that year? Literally could not score an ounce and we finished top 3 in the Western Conference that year.

Naslund should be RoH material.

The grief pouring out of the majority of the fanbase for not sending his number up is quite astonishing to me. Wonder where everyone was in the summer of 2011 and everything after? I don't see very many people admitting they were wrong for how he was treated.

Reactions: Peen

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I don't like the tradition of retiring numbers in sports.

Because:

1669964365062.png

But there is ZERO legitimate argument.. ZERO that if we are retiring numbers, Luongo's shouldnt be amongst Bure & the Sedins.

Reactions: BrentSopelsHair

BrentSopelsHair

Mar 2, 2016
StuckInYourDrain
i'm shocked by how many people think luongo deserves his number retired. he played less than half his career in vancouver, won nothing apart from a jennings and forced his way out when his backup outplayed him for a brief stretch. he's undeniably one of the nhl's best goalies of the modern era but that's what the hall of fame is for

getting your jersey retired should require outstanding contributions to the team not just raw stats
He played the entirety of his HOF prime in Vancouver, during which time he was a top 2-3 goalie in the nHL when the #1 was Martin Brodeur. Just dismissing the Jennings out of hand seems awfully convenient to your argument when that tis a season-long award based on statistical excellent that just doesn't get the same press as other awards. Also saying that he forced his way out after being outplayed for a brief stretch is completely ludicrous. He was being scapegoated for the issues of a declining team and the team asked him to waive his no-trade to be dealt to Toronto, a trade that collapsed at the last second and left Luongo in a terrible spot. During this period he continued to play excellently, and then eventually once Schneider was swapped instead he continued to be a great player. He left under far less acrimonious circumstances than Bure, he was a captain of this team and an excellent representative of the city, and being mad that he never won a cup is no reason to deny that he is a completely obvious jersey retirement

Reactions: Nolan Bombgardener

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I especially love listening to Canuck fans like you dis good guys like Gagner (who's closing in on 1000 NHL games) and Willie D. while fawning all over guys like Lou who couldn't get out of here fast enough once he made his dough off of FAQ who you also seem to like.

I'm struggling to think of anyone actually disparaging WD's character, or doubting that he was a decent person. He was just woefully inadequate in his role as head coach. He did a bad job at his job, and shouldn't have remained in the role for as long as he did.

Similarly with Gagner. People were just mad because Benning did a Benning thing and signed the wrong guy to the wrong contract. I don't think anyone is mad at Gagner for managing to not burst out laughing long enough to sign the deal.

It's like Sbisa: Guy was awful - and his subsequent contract was cartoonishly stupid - but he tried hard and seemed to be a good guy and teammate. Doesn't mean I'm wrong to think that he played bad and shouldn't have been there.

I'd really like you to do a podcast or something. I'd love to learn more about your general worldview. I find the glimpses I've had to be truly fascinating.

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
Given the standard we have for retiring numbers, this is a travesty. Only players more deserving of their numbers in the stands are the Sedins, and potentially Linden but more for his leadership & the standard he set for being a part of the community.

If Bure, Smyl, and Naslund are going to be there, it's a joke not to have Luongo up.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I disagree with this recurring sentiment that the standard has already been set, so if _____ is in there, then players more deserving than _____ now need to also be in. There's no reason you should or have to double down on your mistakes, IMO.

If that's the case, even more players should be retired, since Stan Smyl is in.

Also, I'm not sure I agree that his best years are in Vancouver. I was more impressed by Florida Luongo, personally. Not that that changes the argument all that much.

Last edited:
Reactions: MS and Orr4Norris

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I disagree with this recurring sentiment that the standard has already been set, so if _____ is in there, then players more deserving than _____ now need to also be in. There's no reason you should or have to double down on your mistakes, IMO.

Also, I'm not sure I agree that his best years are in Vancouver. I was more impressed by Florida Luongo, personally. Not that that changes the argument all that much.
I dunno. He did carry the team on his back that first season with us and did get two shutouts in the Cup Finals series. If he didn't crap the bed in the other games that series (granted he had my minimal goal support), he'd be viewed as more of a legend than Linden imho.

Orr4Norris

Mar 2, 2018

Exactly. Our jersey retirements are embarrassing. Likely Rutherford had a good laugh at the low bar when looking up at the rafters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad