Confirmed with Link: Canucks to induct Roberto Luongo into the Ring of Honour

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
The Canucks have deleted the tweet after significant backlash by fans and by media

I wonder if Aquilini pulled the plug. I’m dying of laughter

Edit: reposted now

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
There’s another tweet now saying his ring of honour will be in the 23-24 season, was that always the case?

It’s in the article linked.

…Canucks all-time wins leader and recently inducted Hockey Hall of Famer to be formally inducted in 2023.24​

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
It’s in the article linked.

…Canucks all-time wins leader and recently inducted Hockey Hall of Famer to be formally inducted in 2023.24​

Damn , well at least people have a year to kick enough of a roar to try and get his number retired instead.Really confused why it isn’t being retired he’s a Hall of fame player who played his prime in Vancouver

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
I'm fine with ROH because he spent almost 50% more seasons in Florida than here and we still haven't won a cup. If we'd won a cup or he played more seasons here I'd feel differently.

Reactions: Tritsche

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Luongo's legacy here is a mixed bunch. He came here his first season like a rocket and carried the team on his back, when the team was going through the motion of success he was a part of it...but his consistency was mixed. Causing fans and media to backlash at him.

He's the franchise goaltender in regards to the all time team, if 2011 resulted in a cup win then his number would've been retired asap.

Reactions: Zippgunn

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I'd have 16-22-33 as the only retired numbers and I hate cheap number retirements so I'm in agreement with this.

That said, I would have retired Luongo's number before Naslund's.

Bingo. I'd hate to become what the Habs are wrt numbers. To be honest, my bar for retiring numbers is pretty high. To the point where Linden should be debatable, not that he shouldn't, just...debatable.

Reactions: Tritsche and rypper

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I am ok with this. The fact is that he’s seen more as a Panther and he identified as a Panther. It’s not like Luongo is the greatest goalie of all time either. Equation would have changed with a Cup victory.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I'm coming from the camp of, the team has too many retired numbers to begin with.

But. If you're going to retire Markus Naslund you kind of have to retire Lou.

Lou was better at his position then Naslund. Lou brought the team to higher highs. He's in the HOF. Both captains etc. If the bar is x that it allows Naslund to be retired, surely Luongo exceeds that bar.

And if you point at the way things ended. Well the team was falling over itself to retire Bure's number and that ended way worse.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
smyl is a special case

naslund is a mistake

the real question is, is luongo at bure’s level as a canucks?

the franchise identity-altering mvp level 2007 season, very good other seasons in 2009 and 2011, and the finals run. you could make a decent argument for that equaling bure’s 94, excellent team record smashing 93, the excitement of 92, and eh whatever give me my money 1998 season.

and the follow up question is, is that a jersey raising resume, or the very best of what the ROH can hold? i don’t have a firm opinion tbh.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Canucks have the team numbers retired in Smyl, Linden and Naslund.
Canucks have the HOF numbers retired in Bure and the Sedins.

That's 6 retired jersey's.

Also, I can't remember what was the sole reason Naslund's number was retired?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad