Confirmed with Link: Canucks to induct Roberto Luongo into the Ring of Honour

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
They should not be pulling down anything. That would be ridiculous disrespect.

Luongo is a first ballot hall of famer but only played 8 years of that hall of fame career here. We had a deep run with him but we didn’t win the cup and he had a lot of bad performances over the years in the playoffs.

That being said, he is really close and if he played like 2-3 more years with us OR won a Vezina as a Canuck, I would say retire his jersey.
Its more disrespectful seeing the likes of Smyl/Naslund up thre over Luongo. Naslund growing up was my favourite player too. Roy played 7.5 seasons in Colorado and had his jersey retired. Only difference is he won the grand prize. No one in this franchise has so cant fault Luongo for that. For as many goals he let in and games he blew, he was the sole reason to win just as many. He's an arguable top 5 goalie of all time whom spent his best days here. Luongo 100% deserves to be in the rafters. This organization is in no way shape or form in a position to be denying a hall of famer, first ballot at that, that honour.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Think in this recent era, it's Roy, Hasek and Brodeur (in no particular order). You'd be hard pressed to convince me Luongo is better than any of those three. That leaves two spots in the top five.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Its more disrespectful seeing the likes of Smyl/Naslund up thre over Luongo. Naslund growing up was my favourite player too. Roy played 7.5 seasons in Colorado and had his jersey retired. Only difference is he won the grand prize. No one in this franchise has so cant fault Luongo for that. For as many goals he let in and games he blew, he was the sole reason to win just as many. He's an arguable top 5 goalie of all time whom spent his best days here. Luongo 100% deserves to be in the rafters. This organization is in no way shape or form in a position to be denying a hall of famer, first ballot at that, that honour.

You said it yourself, Roy won 2 cups and a Conn Smythe in Colorado.

Flip the careers, if Roy has Luongo's years in Colorado do they retire his jersey?

If Luongo had 2 cups and a CS in Vancouver he'd be a God and of course his jersey would be retired.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
You said it yourself, Roy won 2 cups and a Conn Smythe in Colorado.

Flip the careers, if Roy has Luongo's years in Colorado do they retire his jersey?

If Luongo had 2 cups and a CS in Vancouver he'd be a God and of course his jersey would be retired.
Is vancouvers franchise as storied as Colorado’s? If you’re flipping the players careers you have to flip the franchise history too.

This franchise does not have the history to be turning down first ballot hall of famers. If the only thing keeping him out is being 1 win short, why do we have any jerseys retired? No ones brought a cup to Vancouver.

The sedins, luongo and MAYBE linden should be the only jerseys retired.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Is vancouvers franchise as storied as Colorado’s? If you’re flipping the players careers you have to flip the franchise history too.

This franchise does not have the history to be turning down first ballot hall of famers. If the only thing keeping him out is being 1 win short, why do we have any jerseys retired? No ones brought a cup to Vancouver.

The sedins, luongo and MAYBE linden should be the only jerseys retired.

I would say that Patrick Roy is a big part of why Colorado's history is so storied. So that's why he's retired after a shorter stretch there.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
If the Canucks had never made this announcement I doubt there would be a legion of fans making a stink because his number was not retired.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
If Bure is retired here than Luongo should be. It's that simple

On a personal level i could care less about jersey retirements and would rather they just honor the best players of the past in some sort.

As it works here currently it's absurd that Roberto is not going to get retired. Have to believe there is still some bad feelings with how things ended with the mob boss owners

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad