Confirmed with Link: Canucks to induct Roberto Luongo into the Ring of Honour

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Canucks have the team numbers retired in Smyl, Linden and Naslund.
Canucks have the HOF numbers retired in Bure and the Sedins.

That's 6 retired jersey's.

Also, I can't remember what was the sole reason Naslund's number was retired?
Gillis was Naslund's player agent IIRC

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Should be no jerseys officially retired and ROH is the top tier. No need to separate things - just don't issue the jerseys you don't want issued.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I hate it, I think it’s pettiness more than anything, he should absolutely be retired, and in the Rafters.
I wonder if luongo is the one who actually said no here, if not, again, just petty.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
If it was a Pavel Bure getting inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame that made Aquillini "Finally" decide to retire Bure's #10. Then Roberto Luongo and his recent induction to the Hockey Hall of Fame should warrant his #1 to be retired by the Canucks too.

It's the crap like this, all of these stupid decisions made by owners and upper management that make this team hard to take seriously by any fan or spectator of the sport.

Bure's number should of been retired long before the announcement. Luongo should probably be there too!

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Retirement? He sure doesn’t feel like a retirement candidate. I personally don’t even think he’s a good ROH candidate.

But, I guess when I look at it, there’s a few things to consider:

- Luongo played only two less seasons here compared to Kesler and Bieksa.
- Luongo is a hall of fame inductee.
- His most dominant years were spent in VAN.
- He actually played here longer than Bure.

It just doesn’t feel right.. But perhaps the above does justify it.

Reactions: mathonwy

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I"m fine with it so as long as Mrs Luongo agrees with it as well.:sarcasm:

I believe Gina approved of this also, boy oh boy those were some interesting times when they lived here. The media seemed to think Gina was out to get Canuck fans or something, gave us the cold shoulder.

Should be retired.

The fact Naslund’s 19 is up there & Luongo 1 won’t be is laughable.

….So basically on par with our history

Gillis approved of the Naslund jersey retirement since he was our GM and he was his former player agent.

Heck, Ottawa is retiring Chris Neil's number in February so it will be beside Alfredsson's.

crowfish

Jun 3, 2011
Lou never won a single trophy in the NHL yet he gets into the HHOF? Ridiculous. The most overrated goalie of all time...

Lol I do not know what it is about Luongo that attracts these insane takes. Go look up some stats before embarrassing yourself with comments like this. He is literally one of the best goalies of all time statistically. I could care less about how many awards he was snubbed of.

crowfish

Jun 3, 2011
I think some of the media from the 2011 playoff run broke peoples brains when it comes to Luongo. They cannot accept that he is one of the greatest goaltenders of all time, which statistically, is not even debatable. I am glad the HOF voting is based off real stats and not old media narratives.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Lol I do not know what it is about Luongo that attracts these insane takes. Go look up some stats before embarrassing yourself with comments like this. He is literally one of the best goalies of all time statistically. I could care less about how many awards he was snubbed of.

Sure he was good but he was never a "money" goaltender. His decade in FLA yielded exactly one playoff run. His playoff performance here was always found wanting. He damn near blew the Olympics for Canada. Not worthy IMHO.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Sure he was good but he was never a "money" goaltender. His decade in FLA yielded exactly one playoff run. His playoff performance here was always found wanting. He damn near blew the Olympics for Canada. Not worthy IMHO.
lol

Reactions: rypper

crowfish

Jun 3, 2011

Early 2000s Florida teams were brutal. Luongo was the only reason they were not last in the standings each year. Go look up his stats from his 2003 season.

He literally has the same career playoff SV% as Patrick Roy, he was never the reason his teams lost in the playoffs.

Damn near blew the Olympics? What are you talking about? He was 5-0 with 1.76 GAA .927 in that tournament.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Canucks have the team numbers retired in Smyl, Linden and Naslund.
Canucks have the HOF numbers retired in Bure and the Sedins.

That's 6 retired jersey's.

Naslund was just the long time captain and star player here. When he retired, he held the team’s all time goals and points records.

Apart from Linden having captained the Canucks to the Cup finals, was Naslund less deserving than Linden? At least with Naslund we could argue that at one time he was one of the best players in the league with his Pearson victory.

Of course had we not retired Smyl and Linden’s numbers…

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Maybe they are doing this so Luongo has an individual ceremony before they retire #1 jointly for him & McLean.

Idk, it's the best justification I can come up with for this bush league decision.

Reactions: Zippgunn

Orr4Norris

Mar 2, 2018
I’m surprised how many want his number retired.

Retired a Panther. Inducted into the HOF a Panther. Never won hardware or a Cup here. One playoff run. Became a distraction after letting it be known he wanted out.

He was a fantastic goalie but surely the bar is higher for a jersey retirement? Naslund was a mistake and should not be used as justification.

ROH seems perfect for Lou.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

Gillis was Naslund's player agent IIRC

Gillis approved of the Naslund jersey retirement since he was our GM and he was his former player agent.

it made no sense to retire naslund's jersey in fall of 2010, so maybe the gillis connection is the correct take. gillis was the one who chucked naslund (and morrison) to the curb and brought in demitra to replace him on the ice and sundin to replace him in the room. it's definitely possible that to repair their professional and/or personal relationship, this was an olive branch to smooth things over.

otoh, it could easily just be aqua wanted to fanboy him.

like, i could see naslund's number being retired when he left the NHL in 2009, so a year earlier. the justification would be he holds all the records, came the closest to leading the league in scoring, and along with 2007 luongo came the closest to winning an MVP.

but as of the night naslund's jersey went up, henrik was 150 pts away from passing him and had won the hart/ross. whereas he was 300 pts behind when naslund retired.

and at that point it just seems silly to retire a guy who led the team to a single series win (not counting 2007, which he was there for but hardly led the way with his zero points in the last six games of the dallas series), when the subsequent luongo/sedin core had equaled that low bar three times in four years.

fwiw, this is the third thing that comes up when you googe markus naslund jersey retirement. people had a fondness for those post-messier rebound years, 2000–2004, but it made no objective sense at the time.

Reactions: Orr4Norris

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
My criteria would be a HOF player who played the majority of their prime for the team. I'd say Luongo qualifies.

Mine would be Bure, Henrik, Daniel and Luongo.

100%.

Between Smyl, Linden and Naslund, jersey retirements in Vancouver were already a joke anyways, it's not really about success or excellence but moreso just vibes. Whatever.

If he re-signs, at this rate we're gonna see Bo Horvat in the rafters in 10 years lol

BrentSopelsHair

Mar 2, 2016
StuckInYourDrain
End of the day this is very fittingly Canucks. This is a first-ballot HOF goaltender who played his entire prime with this franchise as a consistently fantastic workhorse #1 on teams that were among the very best in the league. If ever there was a player that deserved to have their number retired, it's Luongo. The Canucks even have a great comparison point in Bure!

It seems like pushback against retiring his number is broken down into the below points:
1. The Canucks choices to honour good but not great players like Smyl and Linden without having won a championship has led to an impression that we have too many guys retired now, and so now we will under-appreciate a plater well-deserving of a jersey retirement. Just a loser mentality​
2. Somehow retiring Luongo's number will be an insult to Kirk McLean. The absolute chokehold the '94 run has on the consciousness of this franchise is f***ed. Kirk McLean was a fun goalie on an over-achieving team who has become a truly fantastic representative for the franchise in his post-playing career. The fact of the matter is that he and Luongo were in completely different stratospheres as players. Comparisons of the two is insulting to Luongo, considering he is one of the greatest goalies in the history of the league, and McLean had 30 wins once in his career and has a career more comparable to Dan Cloutier than to Roberto Luongo.​
3. Sour grapes over the end of his Vancouver tenure. Enormous loser vibes from the franchise if this has anything to do with it, he was treated like shit by the team and stood up for himself when he was disrespected. Power to him, this really feels like a likely puzzle piece and STINKS of the Aquilinis​
Overall enormously par for the course for the Canucks, making a wrong decision for stupid reasons that makes them look like clowns.

Reactions: vancityluongo

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Maybe they are doing this so Luongo has an individual ceremony before they retire #1 jointly for him & McLean.

Idk, it's the best justification I can come up with for this bush league decision.
Cannot believe Donnie joined the HFB already. I thought you were not computer literate.
Let it go, McLean #1 will not be retired, maybe ROH and it is a stretch already.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Why does this organization have to make simplest tasks appear like they solving the theory of relativity.

My god

I will say, having 7 or 8 numbers retired before a championship banner is embarrassing in my opinion but that’s me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Seattle Totems

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
End of the day this is very fittingly Canucks. This is a first-ballot HOF goaltender who played his entire prime with this franchise as a consistently fantastic workhorse #1 on teams that were among the very best in the league. If ever there was a player that deserved to have their number retired, it's Luongo. The Canucks even have a great comparison point in Bure!

It seems like pushback against retiring his number is broken down into the below points:
1. The Canucks choices to honour good but not great players like Smyl and Linden without having won a championship has led to an impression that we have too many guys retired now, and so now we will under-appreciate a plater well-deserving of a jersey retirement. Just a loser mentality​
2. Somehow retiring Luongo's number will be an insult to Kirk McLean. The absolute chokehold the '94 run has on the consciousness of this franchise is f***ed. Kirk McLean was a fun goalie on an over-achieving team who has become a truly fantastic representative for the franchise in his post-playing career. The fact of the matter is that he and Luongo were in completely different stratospheres as players. Comparisons of the two is insulting to Luongo, considering he is one of the greatest goalies in the history of the league, and McLean had 30 wins once in his career and has a career more comparable to Dan Cloutier than to Roberto Luongo.​
3. Sour grapes over the end of his Vancouver tenure. Enormous loser vibes from the franchise if this has anything to do with it, he was treated like shit by the team and stood up for himself when he was disrespected. Power to him, this really feels like a likely puzzle piece and STINKS of the Aquilinis​
Overall enormously par for the course for the Canucks, making a wrong decision for stupid reasons that makes them look like clowns.

Wow so players who bled Canuck colours like Linden and Smyl are "good but not great" yet players who sucked as much $ out of the city and then demanded trades are somehow more worthy of being in our "ring of honour". THAT to me is a "loser mentality". And Luongo is very far from being "one of the greatest goalies in the history of the league", in fact he NEVER EVER WON A SINGLE AWARD in the NHL. Hell at least Mike Liut won the Pearson (and over Gretzky no less)...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad