Value of: Canucks Taking Your Team's Bad Contracts

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
I have actually a good trade proposal for Canucks.
Ryan Spooner + our Boston 1st for Canucks 1st in the 2018 draft? I`m certain that Jim Benning drooling over Ryan right about now. :D

My reasoning is that Canucks need more than 1 early draft pick to accellerate their rebuild plan - in consider they have been rebuilding for years now.

?
The Canucks are only in year 3 of actually rebuilding.

Ryan Spooner would not help at all.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Anyone mention Tyler Ennis as a candidate for Minny to shed to help make room for Zucker and Dumba deals?
Spezza.. only if they Dal has an intention to add to their roster this yr. Could see em just wait it out another yr and let him walk rather giving up an asset to get rid of him.
Brouwer - Cgy has no picks to give away.

I saw mentioned: Seabrook, Ryan mentioned... remaining term too long for this strategy to utilized for the Canucks... without high retention and/or top end assets returning. Chi did that with Teuvo... don't think they want to do that again.

Anyone else seem to have cap room to eat their own bad contracts for another yr.

If I were to guess... Tyler Ennis could be the only player listed to be moved in this sort of deal.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Anyone mention Tyler Ennis as a candidate for Minny to shed to help make room for Zucker and Dumba deals?
Spezza.. only if they Dal has an intention to add to their roster this yr. Could see em just wait it out another yr and let him walk rather giving up an asset to get rid of him.
Brouwer - Cgy has no picks to give away.

I saw mentioned: Seabrook, Ryan mentioned... remaining term too long for this strategy to utilized for the Canucks... without high retention and/or top end assets returning. Chi did that with Teuvo... don't think they want to do that again.

Anyone else seem to have cap room to eat their own bad contracts for another yr.

If I were to guess... Tyler Ennis could be the only player listed to be moved in this sort of deal.
Agreed, Ennis and Orpik are the only guys that make sense. Spezza too but he has a MNTC so I doubt he would want to come to Vancouver. Only way we would be involved with him would be if someone wants to use us for retention on him like Vegas did with Brassard.

HenrikW

Feb 21, 2018
Sven Baertchi for Milan Lucic+?

What assets would it take to make this happen? 2019 1st?

grindline

Mar 29, 2013
England
Just thinking aloud here but what about taking Brandon Dubinsky off Columbus’ hands?

Pros: not a deadweight but massively overpaid bottom 6 Center

Could be an excellent mentor to younger players

Could send Boone Jenner or Oliver Bjorkstrand as sweeteners (OB would require a pick in return)

Cons: 4 year term

If Columbus retains c. 30% the cap hit is 4m but we could always take a small contact back so your net cap hit is more like 3m.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
?

Closer to 5 or 6 IMHO, starting in 2013 with the Schneider trader followed by 2014 Luongo/Kesler 6th last. Benning has yet to intentionally "rebuild", 2015 he was trying trading his picks for Lucic, 2016 he was trying to trade is 1st Subban. At best that is retooling. Maybe this will be the first official rebuild year, but in practice it has been going on much longer (4 bottom 6 finishes in 5 years).

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
It would take a ludicrous offer for us to even consider taking 5 more years of that slug.

You're right. If a GM makes a trade for Lucic (or players like him) they're saying we don't the faith in our abilities to find another player at 6m X 5 yr. Slugs dragging down a teams cap (maybe not next year for the Canucks) are demoralizing for the players on the team.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Just thinking aloud here but what about taking Brandon Dubinsky off Columbus’ hands?

Could send Boone Jenner or Oliver Bjorkstrand as sweeteners (OB would require a pick in return)

If Columbus retains c. 30% the cap hit is 4m but we could always take a small contact back so your net cap hit is more like 3m.
I keep thinking of the possibility of a Dubinsky-for-Gagner trade but have not yet quite had the courage to suggest it out loud.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.

I keep thinking of the possibility of a Dubinsky-for-Gagner trade but have not yet quite had the courage to suggest it out loud.
What's Dubinsky's NTC status? Does he have it? Was it only for the first couple of years? Lets say he has it. Why would he waive to go to a building team? He's getting older and his chance to win a Cup is decreasing. Only reason he might waive his NTC is to go to a bigger contender than Columbus or he can't stand Torts/his playing time is decreasing and wants to go to a team where he would still play.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
?

Technically the rebuild didn't start until the trade deadline in 2017 when they traded Burrows and Hansen. So Technically it's only been 1 and 1/4 season.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Jets might look to send Mason to some rebuilding team to dump his contract. Likely Jets pay a mid range pick (3rd to 5th Rd pick) or a C/D level prospect that we have loads of to dump him, some place.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
In defense of the post your are responding to.... Ennis' contract is for 1 year. I don't think it would take a lot of an add to get a team to take a bad contract that is 1 year. Not sure if a 5th is enough, but I don't think it's outrageous.

3.65M real dollars for a 5th round pick? It's not monopoly money. Glad you don't work for me.

grindline

Mar 29, 2013
England
What's Dubinsky's NTC status? Does he have it? Was it only for the first couple of years? Lets say he has it. Why would he waive to go to a building team? He's getting older and his chance to win a Cup is decreasing. Only reason he might waive his NTC is to go to a bigger contender than Columbus or he can't stand Torts/his playing time is decreasing and wants to go to a team where he would still play.

According to capfriendly, his contract becomes a modified no trade this Summer.

His playing time has decreased a lot but that could be temporary. Whether it increases in Columbus depends on how he rebounds in the playoffs and what the depth chart looks like at Center after the Summer.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Why do people keep mentioning players but not what they would give up to get rid of them?

Every bad contract is tradeable, it just depends on if you’re willing to pay the price or not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad