Value of: Canucks Taking Your Team's Bad Contracts

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
If we are being realistic, Mason is likely more than your backup next season. It’s a flier on a guy who has been more than a backup and isn’t very old plus a pick.

If Nilsson was the counter the Jets would just keep Mason and ride out the last year of the contract.
I doubt that. Nilsson was coming off a great season in buffalo, better than Markstrom, on a comparable team. Markstrom has been much better than both these other guys this year. Markstrom this year statistically, has fared better than mason when he was starting for the jets last year. Hell, I don’t see a big statistical difference between mason and Nilsson the last 2 seasons. Yes I know mason is much more proven, and has dealt with injuries this season, but taking on an extra 4.1M for a guy who would infact be our backup is not worth only a 5th when we have a guy already signed for 2.5M to do that role a bit worse for 25 games. You want us to tie up 5.6M in a backup role for a 5th round pick.

Hell even if we take Nilsson out of the equation. If the shoe was on the other foot, would you take mason off our hands along with a 5th to eat up 4.1M for 1 year with him as your backup? Now add in you have a worse backup already signed at 2.5M. Would you do it now even if your team could afford to throw away the cap space? No. Why? Because we could trade for a forward or dman signed to a similar contract for much more value. Yea he won’t be as good at his position, but he’ll have a shot at 82 games rather than 30 on top of us receiving better compensation.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
We do have two of them in 2019 and if we really need it more than the cap space and getting rid of the dead wood, while getting a Top 4 defender back then you really have to wonder why we even exist as a franchise. Even if JT doesn't re-sign a trade like this leaves us with 3 1sts and 4 2nds in 2018 and 2019 combined, as well as the ability to trade for an established player or two with the freed space.

Ladd has a NMC for another 2 seasons.
He is not interrupting his retirement , uprooting his family to move to Vancouver.
28 yr old Tanev has averaged 60 games a season, for the last 4 seasons. No thanks.
Elder reportedly has back issues and a NTC . Pass.

Also, isles have their 2018 1st and Calgary's 2018 1st. They have their own 2019 1st . I do not recall them trading for a second 2019 1st rounder.

Last edited:

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I have actually a good trade proposal for Canucks.
Ryan Spooner + our Boston 1st for Canucks 1st in the 2018 draft? I`m certain that Jim Benning drooling over Ryan right about now. :D

My reasoning is that Canucks need more than 1 early draft pick to accellerate their rebuild plan - in consider they have been rebuilding for years now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Figgzfood

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Pick contracts that have 1-2 years left at a high salary.

Some potential targets of players that are still decent, but aren't that good and are overpaid by a bit.

2019 UFAs
Spezza
Pominville
Bouwmeester
Martin
Mason
Gunnarson

2020 UFAs
Callahan
Bogosian
MacDonald
Anderson
Stone
Daley

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Ryan Spooner + our Boston 1st for Canucks 1st in the 2018 draft? I`m certain that Jim Benning drooling over Ryan right about now. :D

My reasoning is that Canucks need more than 1 early draft pick to accellerate their rebuild plan - in consider they have been rebuilding for years now.
Baertschi+Granlund for Rangers 2018 1st.

My reasoning is that the Rangers need more than 1 young forward for the rebuild.

Reactions: Ori

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Baertschi+Granlund for Rangers 2018 1st.

My reasoning is that the Rangers need more than 1 young forward for the rebuild.
The main differences we just started the rebuild - so I don`t see that Gorton need to hurry to find the elite talents. :)

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

Actually that's pretty horrible for Vancouver and a pick 25-31 and Spooner isn't sniffing a top 5 pick.

Put it this way: Would you give up Lias Andersson for a 40 pt soft F and an early 2nd?

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Ok so all the bad contracts any better?
We have Brendan Smith in AHL in our minors who earn over 4 mil $ each year. :)
Maybe it was not a good value proposal, but have a nice day.

Last edited:

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Marcus Foligno (2.875x3) + 5th for future considerations?

or

Ennis (4.6x1) + 5th/6th for future considerations?

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Marcus Foligno (2.875x3) + 5th for future considerations?

or

Ennis (4.6x1) + 5th/6th for future considerations?
Sure if you take Nilsson 1x2.5 + gagner 2x3.25 + 7th back as the future considerations

It’s laughable how fans think they can just dump contracts and give up nothing of value to do so, and then complain when the other teams fans say no. if they were asked to do the same would ask for the moon

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
A few yeaes ago Carolina took Bickell contract to get Teravainen. I don't mind something like That, take a couple year left on a contract for 4 to 5 per a season and get a good young player

It's Harder to do now because you can't hide big contract in the minors anymore

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
Alright... there was a thread started on the Canucks board posing the question of what to do with the money the Canucks will save if the Sedins retire after this season. An early solution that is favored by some fans is to take on bad contracts in exchange for picks.

So, lay it on me. We got some cap space. What do you have to offer. Let's see what the market is at for your bad contracts.

Obviously we'd be looking for draft picks and/or prospects.

Hi there.

Andrew Shaw and Karl Alzner + a 2019 2nd and a 2020 3rd for Sam Gagner 1m retained, please :)

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Sure if you take Nilsson 1x2.5 + gagner 2x3.25 + 7th back as the future considerations

It’s laughable how fans think they can just dump contracts and give up nothing of value to do so, and then complain when the other teams fans say no. if they were asked to do the same would ask for the moon

In defense of the post your are responding to.... Ennis' contract is for 1 year. I don't think it would take a lot of an add to get a team to take a bad contract that is 1 year. Not sure if a 5th is enough, but I don't think it's outrageous.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
As a reminder, taking on 1 year of bickell cost the hawks teuvo. And only got 2 2nd back in return.

Leafs trade Winnik and a 5th for Laich who had 1 1/3 years left on his deal, Carrick and a 2nd round pick.

Those are the types of deals that bad contracts are traded for. Guys who have at most 2 years left on their deals. Anything that's more than 2 years is either traded for comparable deals (see phaneuf for gaborik)

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
In defense of the post your are responding to.... Ennis' contract is for 1 year. I don't think it would take a lot of an add to get a team to take a bad contract that is 1 year. Not sure if a 5th is enough, but I don't think it's outrageous.
Hurricanes acquire Teravainen, Bickell. History shows it is outrageous.

obviously the Hawks were in a dire situation cap wise, but the difference doesn't go from a former mid 1st rounder tracking well to a 5th round pick. If thats the case, we are better off signing guys like Wingels, Morrow etc where we could easily get 5 guys signed at Ennis's salary and cap hit and bring back 5x the pick value that you suggested

Problem you and other posters looking to dump said contracts have had is y'all are basing it off opinion of what benefits your team and what you'd be more than comfotable losing. If we offered you Ennis and a 5th for FC would you take it? No

a 5th can be easily acquired and has minimal value. If all you want to give up is a 5th round pick, then all we will take back is a guy making 2M or less for 1 year

Last edited:

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Hurricanes acquire Teravainen, Bickell. History shows it is outrageous.

obviously the Hawks were in a dire situation cap wise, but the difference doesn't go from a former mid 1st rounder tracking well to a 5th round pick. If thats the case, we are better off signing guys like Wingels, Morrow etc where we could easily get 5 guys signed at Ennis's salary and cap hit and bring back 5x the pick value that you suggested

Problem you and other posters looking to dump said contracts have had is y'all are basing it off opinion of what benefits your team and what you'd be more than comfotable losing. If we offered you Ennis and a 5th for FC would you take it? No

a 5th can be easily acquired and has minimal value. If all you want to give up is a 5th round pick, then all we will take back is a guy making 2M or less for 1 year
Yeah nice. I like how you say that there is a huge difference with the Hawks having a "dire situation cap wise" and then using this deal as a comparison anyways.

Oh, and I'm not a fan of any team of the teams looking ton "dump said contracts", so I don't care what you are offering with Ennis or not.

My point was that most teams would rather handle a bad contract with 1 year left on it in a way other than trading prime assets.

If Vancouver can get a 1st for taking a 1 year contract.... then great job by Benning. But I doubt that's going to happen.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Yeah nice. I like how you say that there is a huge difference with the Hawks having a "dire situation cap wise" and then using this deal as a comparison anyways.

Oh, and I'm not a fan of any team of the teams looking ton "dump said contracts", so I don't care what you are offering with Ennis or not.

My point was that most teams would rather handle a bad contract with 1 year left on it in a way other than trading prime assets.

If Vancouver can get a 1st for taking a 1 year contract.... then great job by Benning. But I doubt that's going to happen.
I’m saying that the value is a lot higher than a 5th. Look at any trade that involves a cap dump. 3 years of bolland cost an 11th ovr pick 1 year removed. So ennis’s cost would be roughly 1/3rd of that even.

IMO to take on Ennis it would cost at least a minnesota’s 2nd

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site

Yea I don't see any teams offering up a 1st in order to move a one year contract. Maybe a 2nd or something. What the Canucks should be doing is trying to target a high AAV player on a one or two year deal who they feel can still contribute given a larger role in hopes of flipping said player for more futures either at this or next years deadline. Someone like Jason Spezza would be an interesting player to target but given his NTC that may not be an option.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Bobby Ryan+pittsburghs first for future considerations?

No. Can't see anyway the Canucks would be interested in taking on a long term, crippling contracts such as Bobby Ryan or Milan Lucic's unless there was significant incentives. A late 1st isn't enough. One or two year deals is the most they should be looking at.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad