Value of: Canucks Taking Your Team's Bad Contracts

Nick1219

Mar 15, 2012
Alright... there was a thread started on the Canucks board posing the question of what to do with the money the Canucks will save if the Sedins retire after this season. An early solution that is favored by some fans is to take on bad contracts in exchange for picks.

So, lay it on me. We got some cap space. What do you have to offer. Let's see what the market is at for your bad contracts.

Obviously we'd be looking for draft picks and/or prospects.

Reactions: iSophagus and Ori

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
Every fanbase of non playoff teams throws this idea out there every year as if they think a real world owner will spend real money to buy a mid to low round pick.

This. It never happens. There's been a few instances of taking injured players which is covered by insurance or retiring players (Datsyuk) but that's because the team doesn't actually have to pay the contract.

More likely, a non playoff team with lots of cap space can circle a good team in cap trouble like we've seen with the Blackhawks having to sell Byfuglien or Teravainen on the cheap. However this would require smart, forward thinking management so this wouldn't apply to the Canucks.

vcanuck

Feb 7, 2011
how about we save our precious cap space instead? i suspect JB is saving dat sweet cap space for a huge offer for Tavares on July 1st :cool:

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
This. It never happens. There's been a few instances of taking injured players which is covered by insurance or retiring players (Datsyuk) but that's because the team doesn't actually have to pay the contract.

More likely, a non playoff team with lots of cap space can circle a good team in cap trouble like we've seen with the Blackhawks having to sell Byfuglien or Teravainen on the cheap. However this would require smart, forward thinking management so this wouldn't apply to the Canucks.

Did Vegas not just do exactly this?

They ate salary/cap on Brassard for a pick.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
we'll give you a 3rd for Bennett, we have an elixir of youth for him.

It says bad contracts, Bennett isn't on a bad contract lol, you're not following the rules of the OP, but I'll take the offer of Bennett for a 1st as high as Van's and I'd throw in a 3rd ;)

vcanuck

Feb 7, 2011
Wait did I find someone who understands nhl trade worth and hes willing to do a top 10 1st for Bennett and a 3rd? Alright im calling Brad now, hopefully Jimbo likes it too
I hope your getting paid by Tre to do his job!

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
I hope your getting paid by Tre to do his job!

I'm just glad I share Brad and Living with him ;) Im told im a good management worker/managing things greatly, that's how you do well in life, is by managing yourself the way you want to live your life, right? I'd probably look pretty swift as a general manager of a hockey team just hopefully not the Oilers, because Drai would be moving cities first day on the job, I'd like for them to trade him for a couple young wingers and a defensive prospect, possibly more if it were up to me

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad