Prospect Info: Canucks Take D Joni Jurmo at 82nd Overall (JYP Jyväskylä)

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The fact that Jurmo is actually playing hockey this season is a major advantage compared to prospects for other teams in other leagues.

I assume he's still eligible for the Finns World Jr. team at the WJHC at the end of the year? That would be a major step if he can make it.

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015
Happy to see it, but isn’t he in some sort of tertiary league in Finland?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Considering how many Canuck prospects and draft eligible players have played only a handful of games this season, I suppose the fact Jurmo is playing anywhere, is a positive.

But every time I see the 'highlights' from that Mestis League, it's "yikes, that's bad hockey".

But the target for next season should be a regular shift in the top tier Liige and a spot on the WJHC team.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Jurkit looks like a bottom team in the Sm-liga so I guess he will see some real minutes next year. Personally I would have liked to see him stay at JYP. So I could watching him, Brad Lambert and Helenius

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
2 years playing in the Liiga before heading over sounds about right. He's a bit of a project. No need to rush him.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Good for him. Finnish leagues seem to be a consistently good developing ground for prospects.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
2 years playing in the Liiga before heading over sounds about right. He's a bit of a project. No need to rush him.
Pretty standard timeline for a guy in round 3. Kid is raw and needs time to develop. Should be targeting to play in a higher league next season if he can.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Was looking a litte deeper into his new team, and wow...their defense is going to be YOUNG with an average age of ~20.5 years old! There's only 1 returning D of note (Axel Rindell), and no veteran Liiga Dmen to back these kids up. Could really be a tough season, but there's a huge opportunity for Jurmo to earn a significant role on the team. Here's Jukurit's d-core as it stands,

Left Defense
Saku Forsblom (23) - 72GP 4G 15A 19Pts (Metis) 6GP 0Pts (Liiga)
Joni Jurmo (19) - 10GP 3G 5A 8Pts (Mestis), 20GP 0Pts (Liiga)
Tom Gronblom (21) - 14GP 0Pts (Liiga)
Hannes Hakkila (18) - 2GP 1A 1Pts (Mestis), 0GP (Liiga)

Right Defense
Axel Rindell (21) - 94GP 13G 35A 48Pts (Liiga)
Libor Zabransky (20) - 51GP 7G 7A 14Pts Czech)
Jaako Haarti (22) - 26GP 1G 2A 3Pts (Liiga)

Reactions: lindgren

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
I like that.
No BS. Straight up "he needs 2 more year".
I like the honesty. I like the fact they're not rushing him. I like the fact that the agent confirmed that everyone is aligned with the decision.

His size and skating are insane. His skating is so good. I think he'll be the best skater on the Canucks when he makes it. Ive seen him walk the blueline and pivot like a player who's 5'10, rather than a 6'3 guy

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I like that.
No BS. Straight up "he needs 2 more year".
I like the honesty. I like the fact they're not rushing him. I like the fact that the agent confirmed that everyone is aligned with the decision.

His size and skating are insane. His skating is so good. I think he'll be the best skater on the Canucks when he makes it. Ive seen him walk the blueline and pivot like a player who's 5'10, rather than a 6'3 guy
To me he’s our version of the Oiler prospect Broberg. Has all the physical gifts, but lacking high level hockey sense.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks have unearthed some decent d-men in the third round over the years....Edler and Tryamkin among others. So there's some hope for Jurmo.

There's no doubt he's got all the physical tools, but as they say, the toolbox needs a lot of work. But than that's pretty typical for guys drafted in the third round. Most of them won't appear on the radar screen until at least their draft-plus 3 seasons.

He'll spend a couple of seasons in the Finnish Liga, hopefully refining his skills. And fingers crossed, he's eligible and makes the Finnish WJHC team later this year.

It would be a huge bonus if guys like Jurmo; Persson or Truscott could morph into NHL-quality d-men.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad