Prospect Info: Canucks Take D Joni Jurmo at 82nd Overall (JYP Jyväskylä)

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Was looking a litte deeper into his new team, and wow...their defense is going to be YOUNG with an average age of ~20.5 years old! There's only 1 returning D of note (Axel Rindell), and no veteran Liiga Dmen to back these kids up. Could really be a tough season, but there's a huge opportunity for Jurmo to earn a significant role on the team. Here's Jukurit's d-core as it stands,

Left Defense
Saku Forsblom (23) - 72GP 4G 15A 19Pts (Metis) 6GP 0Pts (Liiga)
Joni Jurmo (19) - 10GP 3G 5A 8Pts (Mestis), 20GP 0Pts (Liiga)
Tom Gronblom (21) - 14GP 0Pts (Liiga)
Hannes Hakkila (18) - 2GP 1A 1Pts (Mestis), 0GP (Liiga)

Right Defense
Axel Rindell (21) - 94GP 13G 35A 48Pts (Liiga)
Libor Zabransky (20) - 51GP 7G 7A 14Pts Czech)
Jaako Haarti (22) - 26GP 1G 2A 3Pts (Liiga)

give him some time to mature in his own country.

it worked for pool party.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Jurmo opened his regular season this morning on the 2nd pairing, and finished with 1 shot + an even rating in 18:51 TOI.
That's not bad for a 19-year old playing in Finland top pro league. Hope he stays as a legit second pairing d-man. Would be even better if he can find his way on to Finland's WJHC team this Xmas.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Was looking a litte deeper into his new team, and wow...their defense is going to be YOUNG with an average age of ~20.5 years old! There's only 1 returning D of note (Axel Rindell), and no veteran Liiga Dmen to back these kids up. Could really be a tough season, but there's a huge opportunity for Jurmo to earn a significant role on the team. Here's Jukurit's d-core as it stands,

Left Defense
Saku Forsblom (23) - 72GP 4G 15A 19Pts (Metis) 6GP 0Pts (Liiga)
Joni Jurmo (19) - 10GP 3G 5A 8Pts (Mestis), 20GP 0Pts (Liiga)
Tom Gronblom (21) - 14GP 0Pts (Liiga)
Hannes Hakkila (18) - 2GP 1A 1Pts (Mestis), 0GP (Liiga)

Right Defense
Axel Rindell (21) - 94GP 13G 35A 48Pts (Liiga)
Libor Zabransky (20) - 51GP 7G 7A 14Pts Czech)
Jaako Haarti (22) - 26GP 1G 2A 3Pts (Liiga)

There's Saku, Joni, Hannes, Axel, Libor, Jaako... and then there's Tom...

HelloCookie

Nov 23, 2016
Finland
Tom could be his full first name, simply guessing by his surename Grönblom . It's quite uncommon to have shortened names around here.

Oh and I'm kinda excited that Jurmo is being coached by Olli Jokinen, just by reading his interviews. Time will tell how his philosophy works in the Liiga environment with the player material Jukurit has.

Reactions: F A N

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Tom could be his full first name, simply guessing by his surename Grönblom . It's quite uncommon to have shortened names around here.

Oh and I'm kinda excited that Jurmo is being coached by Olli Jokinen, just by reading his interviews. Time will tell how his philosophy works in the Liiga environment with the player material Jukurit has.
Tom Gronblom is a great name. Makes me think of this guy:

EETP36ze_400x400.jpg

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Ya I just saw that. This is so interesting. One of the best players to ever come out of Finland. I wonder if he will go half Keenan on Jurmo one day. Jokinen has played for some respected defensive coaches in his day and was good defensively himself. Looking at the staff, Vesa Surenkin was a defenseman. A nothing playing career with one year spent in McGill but plenty of coaching experience.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
For dmen.... size and skating is like 1/2 of what's needed to be a legit NHLer.
If he can process the game at NHL speeds i think he'll be a lock for some type of role.

I've seen clips of him skating and he's an unbelieveable skater. I've seen him go from stand-still to straight horizontal movement with speed incredibly fast. he pivots well... his stride is real nice too.
I want him over in the AHL after this year... i want professional north American coaches working on his noodle (brain that is lol). get him thinking the game at the NHL level ..in terms of speed and smaller ice surface... he's such a wildcard, but i'm excited since size and speed together is such a good chunk of what it takes to be a pro.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks have more than a few prospects who could easily go either way....classic boom or bust prospects. And Jurmo and Klimovich certainly fit the bill.

They could morph into everyday NHL players, or struggle to play in the AHL like Petrus Palmu and Jonathan Dahlen. Obviously the next couple of seasons will be crucial.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
"1/2 of being a defender is size and skating" is such an oversimplification of the qualities you need to be a good defender

Reactions: Christina Woloski

HelloCookie

Nov 23, 2016
Finland
Ya I just saw that. This is so interesting. One of the best players to ever come out of Finland. I wonder if he will go half Keenan on Jurmo one day. Jokinen has played for some respected defensive coaches in his day and was good defensively himself. Looking at the staff, Vesa Surenkin was a defenseman. A nothing playing career with one year spent in McGill but plenty of coaching experience.
if Jokinen is a man of his word there's 0% chance he'll go Keenan as a coach :laugh:

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
"1/2 of being a defender is size and skating" is such an oversimplification of the qualities you need to be a good defender
I didnt say a good defender ..
In todays NHL i think its fair to say half of what it takes to make it as a bottom pairimg guy is size and skating.
The other half is awareness, passing, gap control
I agree if u want to be a "good" defender top 4, u need the whole package to a notable degree

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Apparently Jurmo trains in the off-season with Miro Heiskanen of the Stars.....maybe something rubbed off?

Might be one of thse d-men who matures a little later on. Really hope he's playing his way into consideration for Finland's WJHC team.

Reactions: Lindgren

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Jurmo and Palmu combine to setup Makinen for the game tying goal! Joni picks up his 2nd assist of the game.

Jurmo finishes the 3rd with 5:40TOI (20:30 for the game). Coach Jokinen (Yes Olli :)) used his top pair alot in the 3rd, so Jurmo saw a bit less ice. Off to OT!

Oh wow. I didn't know Jurmo and Palmu are playing together. Doesn't bode well for Jurmo ever playing for Trent Cull. :DD

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Here are some fancy stats for those interested (Liiga is making some basic advanced stats available on their website this season!). Keep in mind that Jukurit is projected to finish in the bottom 3rd of the league.

Jurmo - COR% 47.8 (44S for 48S against)COR% Close 48.7% Off zone starts 42.9% (21Ozone/28Dzone) PDO 98.4 (Rindell - Jukurit's top Dman seeing 24:16TOI - has a PDO of 108.4 + a COR% of 44.6 while getting 57.1% Ozone starts :oops:)

Jurmo's current statline - 4GP 0G 2A 2PTS 0+/- 13SOG 0PIM 20:22TOI (1:41PP/1:25PK)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad