Prospect Info: Canucks Take D Joni Jurmo at 82nd Overall (JYP Jyväskylä)

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Players in Europe don't get a long rope from the refs when it comes to skirmishes and late hits.

Frankly I'm happy that Euros like Jurmo and Hoglander (who's also been suspended twice for high elbow hits) are defending themselves playing in a men's league as teenagers. Rest assured they're going to tested physically when they reach the NHL. So getting involved in the rough stuff won't hurt them a bit, even it means sitting out a few game suspensions.
You're not going to be able to push Finn's around. Stalin tried & Finland pushed back pretty damn hard.

Reactions: Luckylarry

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Nothing 'soft' about these Euros the Canucks have been drafting. Jurmo looks more than willing to use his 6'4" 200 pound draft to punish people, and when you look at the highlights of those flying elbows from Hoglander, he plays like a 'little assassin' out there at times. And of course Podkolzin plays a hard and heavy game.

And they're all basically only 18.... so they'll only get tougher and harder to play against as they mature.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Officiating? Looks like the officials did whistle the play down and sent him to the dressing room though.

I guess there's a reason why Finland has done a good job of producing agitators historically?

Hmm.. Sorry I don't know the word for it.

Let me look it up.

Ok. Apparently it is called the disciplinary delegation. The folks that decide on who gets suspended.

I lump them all in to one big entity in my head. The refs and this delegation. They obviously work in close approximation to each other and to me it is all very poor and lacks transparency.
(Not that it is great in the NHL or IIHF either..)

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
There are reports that Jurmo has been sent to the U20 SM-Liiga today, so I thought I'd reference my thoughts on the situation from earlier in the thread.

I'd say he's definitely not ready for the AHL. I'd like him to get games at the Liiga level, but if JYP isn't going to play him... then I hope he gets sent to the U20 team, so he can play top pair mins in all situations.

Then for next year I'd hope Jurmo would be ready to play full time in Liiga, and make the move to the AHL the year after that.

This year - Liiga/U20
2021/22 - Liiga full time
2022/23 - AHL/Liiga

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Follows up his strong U20 SM-Liiga debut yesturday with another strong outing this morning. Finished with 2 assists, 3 shots, and a +1 rating in 22:13TOI.
If he was over here would he be a CHL aged guy? Could he come here and play for the Giants? Sounds like he’d dominate that league, so is he too good for that level?

The Iron Goalie

Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
If he was over here would he be a CHL aged guy? Could he come here and play for the Giants? Sounds like he’d dominate that league, so is he too good for that level?

Yes he's junior aged for this season and next, but he hasn't been taken in the import draft, so that'd have too happen for a transfer to the WHL to work.

I do think Jurmo would do well in the WHL, but I feel playing pro next year in the Liiga would/ should be better for his development longterm ( would be fun to see him on the giants though!).

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
WHL just announced a 24-game season for 2021. I'm suspecting it might take the junior leagues in Canada a long time to recover from this COVID year.

Jurmo is far better off playing pro hockey in Finland and auditioning for the Finnish World Jr. team next season than he would be making the trek to North America. It also looks like Persson has found a home in the SHL, which would also make far more sense from a development standpoint that playing a truncated schedule with Kamloops in the WHL.

The Iron Goalie

Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
WHL just announced a 24-game season for 2021. I'm suspecting it might take the junior leagues in Canada a long time to recover from this COVID year.

Jurmo is far better off playing pro hockey in Finland and auditioning for the Finnish World Jr. team next season than he would be making the trek to North America. It also looks like Persson has found a home in the SHL, which would also make far more sense from a development standpoint that playing a truncated schedule with Kamloops in the WHL.

Exactly.

However, Persson has dressed for only 1/5 games since he got recalled by Brynas.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Wow, he looks very 'large' in those highlights compared to the players around him.....but looking like a young Mattias Ohlund in that end to end rush.

Is he eligible for the WJHC next year?......that might really kick-start his development.

The Iron Goalie

Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Wow, he looks very 'large' in those highlights compared to the players around him.....but looking like a young Mattias Ohlund in that end to end rush.

Is he eligible for the WJHC next year?......that might really kick-start his development.

He's eligible for the WJC next year, and should have a good shot to make it.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

I see a guy like the Oiler Broberg. Bigger who can really skate and handle the puck, but can he think the game well enough to be a National Leaguer

Reactions: VancouverJagger

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Looks a bit like Puljujarvi out there.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Jurmo's skating looks good.
Not only is he fast AF, but its such a nice stride. Really nice to watch.
Also, its just freakin cool watching a guy that size skate faster than almost anyone on the Canucks.
Can he come over after this season? how does that work?

The Iron Goalie

Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Jurmo's skating looks good.
Not only is he fast AF, but its such a nice stride. Really nice to watch.
Also, its just freakin cool watching a guy that size skate faster than almost anyone on the Canucks.
Can he come over after this season? how does that work?

I mean he could, but that would not be in his best interests imo. He's a fantastic skater, but his game needs alot of polishing before being NHL ready. I think playing full time next season in the Liiga would be best for his development, and if he has a strong season he could sign and come over to the AHL.

2021/22 - Liiga
2022/23 - Liiga/AHL
2023/24 - AHL/NHL (if all goes perfectly for him)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It comes down to where he would develop best. Personally, I think that would be in Finland vs the AHL next season.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Just a quick update - Jurmo was called up from the U20 Liiga this week, and played in both games for JYP this weekend (Friday + Saturday). Joni played 13:55 on Friday, and 16:56 on Saturday. Good to see him back in the Liiga.

That's great news.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->