Prospect Info: Canucks Take D Joni Jurmo at 82nd Overall (JYP Jyväskylä)

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Everybody was dumping all over that 2020 NHL draft, but Persson has opened some eyes so far at this year's NHL camp....and Jurmo is an everyday d-man in the Finnish Liga, the top pro league in Finland.

A couple of 6'2" and 6'4" d-men who appear to have the size and skating skills to at least graduate to playing pro hockey in N.A. If this keeps up, they're a good bet to earn ELC's from the Canucks, at the very least.

Not bad for third rounder and seventh rounder.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Everybody was dumping all over that 2020 NHL draft, but Persson has opened some eyes so far at this year's NHL camp....and Jurmo is an everyday d-man in the Finnish Liga, the top pro league in Finland.

A couple of 6'2" and 6'4" d-men who appear to have the size and skating skills to at least graduate to playing pro hockey in N.A. If this keeps up, they're a good bet to earn ELC's from the Canucks, at the very least.

Stomp.jpg

Reactions: Grub

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006

Don't mind the naysayers VanJack, I agree, they are looking like good picks. Hit the gas!

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Jurmo has really turned things around this season under the tutelage of former NHL star Oli Jokinen, who's coaching his Finnish Liga team. Maybe all he needed was to be coached by a former NHL-er who just lets him go out there and play his game, without pouncing on every mistake.

Based on those YouTube highlights, he just doesn't look like the same player. Almost a lock to make Finland's WJHC team and playing 20 minutes a night in a top-four role in Finland's top pro league.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Wow! What a change from last year. Really excited about this guy.
Wow indeed!. A 19 year old d-man leading his pro team in ice-time is a bit of an eye-opener, relative to what happened last season. But I guess it just goes to show that you can't judge a player on their draft-plus one season, particularly one that was totally disrupted by COVID.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Watched lots of highlights about him. All i can say is that he is a beautiful skater.
Usually big guys who can skate well dont really look as elegant compared to a guy whos like 6 foot or smaller but boy oh boy, he's so fluid and he moves so well in all direction. (insert 'very nice' borat meme)

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Watched lots of highlights about him. All i can say is that he is a beautiful skater.
Usually big guys who can skate well dont really look as elegant compared to a guy whos like 6 foot or smaller but boy oh boy, he's so fluid and he moves so well in all direction. (insert 'very nice' borat meme)
I suppose there's a chance he could morph into somebody like Jake Gardiner--beautiful skater, but with a limited tool-box. But when a kid like Jurmo, who's 6'4 and probably plays at around 220, can skate like that, there has to be some hope for him.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Glad to see him playing a bigger role on his Liga team. cant wait to see him at the WJC

HockeyNightInAsia

Mar 22, 2020
Call me surprised. I still think Jurmo looked like someone lacking the hockey sense to get it together. Guess Olli Jokinen did matter much (does he coach like a Sutter??), if so it’s something we need to keep in mind for his development going forward.

FlowMaster

Jan 28, 2009
BC
Glad to hear Jurmo is looking promising. I and many others thought we'd got another Benning type of defenceman. Sbisa and Gudbranson types.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad