Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign G Jaroslav Halak to 1-Year, $1.5M Deal

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The whole point of Halak's deal was to defer money to the next year. That's what the Canucks wanted and Halak was agreeable to that on the basis of the various conditions that are on his contract.

Halak wasn't signing here for 1 year, $1.5M with zero trade protection. Brossoit got 2x$2.32M, Reimer got 2x$2.25M. Goalies that were bought out like Hotlby and Jones got 1x$2M.

Halak has actually been fine.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The whole point of Halak's deal was to defer money to the next year. That's what the Canucks wanted and Halak was agreeable to that on the basis of the various conditions that are on his contract.

Halak wasn't signing here for 1 year, $1.5M with zero trade protection. Brossoit got 2x$2.32M, Reimer got 2x$2.25M. Goalies that were bought out like Hotlby and Jones got 1x$2M.

Halak has actually been fine.

I mean, yeah?

And the whole point of deferring money to next year was that the GM was frantically trying to save his job by sneaking into 16th place. Trying to open a long-term contending window and set the team up well for 2+ years down the road was less important than selfishly trying to save his own skin.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I mean, yeah?

And the whole point of deferring money to next year was that the GM was frantically trying to save his job by sneaking into 16th place. Trying to open a long-term contending window and set the team up well for 2+ years down the road was less important than selfishly trying to save his own skin.

I think they were making moves to fend off a possible offer sheet to Petey. I don't think they went in thinking that Halak gave them a better chance at sneaking into 16th place compared to Holtby?

Reactions: Vector

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I think they were making moves to fend off a possible offer sheet to Petey. I don't think they went in thinking that Halak gave them a better chance at sneaking into 16th place compared to Holtby?

If you don't have the money to sign a Cadillac backup goalie, you don't sign a Cadillac backup goalie. And certainly you don't kick the can forward to future years when the team was going to be dealing with the Boeser extension.

They were doing everything possible to maximize their 2021-22 roster at the expense of future years. OEL deal was the same thing. Pretty much everything he ever did here was the same thing.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

Then don't sign a backup goalie until you secure the contracts for Pettersson and Hughes.

The order in which they did business this offseason was completely insane.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Then don't sign a backup goalie until you secure the contracts for Pettersson and Hughes.

The order in which they did business this offseason was completely insane.

That's easy for you to say. In reality, that can be difficult to do. It's not unusual for star level players to sign just before training camp or even after camp has started. There are different pressure points. It would be incredibly stupid to not do anything until you get Petey and Hughes sign when the team isn't aren't able to sign them before the start of free agency.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
That's easy for you to say. In reality, that can be difficult to do. It's not unusual for star level players to sign just before training camp or even after camp has started. There are different pressure points. It would be incredibly stupid to not do anything until you get Petey and Hughes sign when the team isn't aren't able to sign them before the start of free agency.
Nobody is saying do nothing before signing EP and Hughes but signing a backup goalie and a 3C Dickinson whose turned out to be useless was stupid. These were the types of moves you could attempt up until season almost started. Benning always overpaid for depth guys heaven knows why.

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
Then pay for a cheap backup while you wait. Surely you would trust demko and ian clark to be able to hold down the fort.

Last edited:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Nobody is saying do nothing before signing EP and Hughes but signing a backup goalie and a 3C Dickinson whose turned out to be useless was stupid. These were the types of moves you could attempt up until season almost started. Benning always overpaid for depth guys heaven knows why.

Huh? Sign a backup goalie and acquire 3C when the season is almost starting? Tell me who you would have signed then? As for Dickinson, almost everyone here wanted the Canucks to acquire a player from a team with expansion draft issues. The fact that Dickinson turned out to be a poor target does not mean that the process of trying to acquire a 3C for a 3rd round pick from a team with expansion draft issues is a bad one.

They pay for a cheap backup while you wait. Surely you would trust demko and ian clark to be able to hold down the fort.

Can Ian Clark play backup goalie? We've been sunk by bad goaltending before, whether it was Nillson, Holtby, or being forced to play Dipietro.

I don't see what the issue is. If you can't get EP and Hughes signed in time you save room and get other business done.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I still don't have a problem with the structure of this contract. Going into the season, I expected a team that could outscore some defensive issues, and could ride a strong top 9 and good goaltending into a playoff spot.

None of that has turned out the way I expected, with the offense being a weakness and defense being better than expected. But still made sense to me at the time.

With that said, if we can get out of that bonus JR should be looking to do so. I'm not generally one for being ruthless with players as I think long term that does more harm than good. But playing hardball with a guy on a one year contract isn't the same as if he had signed a long term deal. Especially when he's been outplayed by a younger, cheaper option.

Hoping both parties will come to a mutually acceptable agreement, but guess we will see.

Reactions: MarkMM

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
Can Ian Clark play backup goalie? We've been sunk by bad goaltending before, whether it was Nillson, Holtby, or being forced to play Dipietro.

I don't see what the issue is. If you can't get EP and Hughes signed in time you save room and get other business done.
We have been, but surely at this point in time Ian Clark and Demko have earned the trust that:
1. Demko can carry the franchise goalie role ala Vasy in tampa.
2. Ian Clark can train any league min goalie into at least being serviceable or even better back up.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Halak would be hilarious because since he's over 35 they can give him 1 million bucks and then a bunch of bonuses to push into 2022-23... which would be very on-brand for the Canucks this off-season.

I like the target, though. Will wait to see term/cost though.

Posted the day before the signing. Update: Not hilarious.

I still don't mind Halak as a target if they could have afforded to pay him. If he was signed for just this year at 2 million or whatever it would have been fine.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
We have been, but surely at this point in time Ian Clark and Demko have earned the trust that:
1. Demko can carry the franchise goalie role ala Vasy in tampa.
2. Ian Clark can train any league min goalie into at least being serviceable or even better back up.

Based on the reporting over the years, it seems that the way the Canucks go about their goaltending under Benning is to ask Clark for his advice. Surely at this point in time we believe that all goalie acquisitions have gone through Clark for at least his opinion?

I just think it's stupid to say the Canucks shouldn't do something that they need to do because they haven't signed Petey and Hughes. Regardless of what you think of previous management, competent management doesn't and won't do that. What they should do is to leave enough cap room to sign them to a contract that the team and player will realistically come to terms on. But it is often a fluid situation where various terms and cap hit are discussed. Certainly, competent management can budget how much cap space they can spend on a backup goaltender instead of "well I can't budget without getting Petey and Hughes signed so until these two sign I can't sign a backup goaltender or acquire a 3C"

archangel2

May 19, 2019
If I am reading what it being said correctly. Vancouver wants the team who trades for him to pay the bonuses--he has now played 10 games and that mean 1.25 added onto next years cap, Most teams that need a goalie are already up against the cap I do not see them taking on a bonus he earned with another team. another .250k is added if he ends up with a save % over .905--and I can see teams saying they will pay that one but not the 1.25

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
If I am reading what it being said correctly. Vancouver wants the team who trades for him to pay the bonuses--he has now played 10 games and that mean 1.25 added onto next years cap, Most teams that need a goalie are already up against the cap I do not see them taking on a bonus he earned with another team. another .250k is added if he ends up with a save % over .905--and I can see teams saying they will pay that one but not the 1.25

I agree that the fit has to be there. There's also nothing stopping from the Canucks from retaining some salary or taking a contract back. The issue is that if the Canucks are at the cap and can't fit Halak's bonuses, then it will carryover to next year. So the team is essentially trying to trade that liability away. Is it a big deal for a team looking to shore up their goaltending position come playoff time? I'm not sure, I would think not? A team like Nashville has been mentioned since they don't have a backup goalie they seem to trust (I actually like Rittich previously) and have cap space to absorb Halak's bonuses no problem.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
I agree that the fit has to be there. There's also nothing stopping from the Canucks from retaining some salary or taking a contract back. The issue is that if the Canucks are at the cap and can't fit Halak's bonuses, then it will carryover to next year. So the team is essentially trying to trade that liability away. Is it a big deal for a team looking to shore up their goaltending position come playoff time? I'm not sure, I would think not? A team like Nashville has been mentioned since they don't have a backup goalie they seem to trust (I actually like Rittich previously) and have cap space to absorb Halak's bonuses no problem.

A GM would have to be a right dunce to think acquiring Halak would be "shoring up the goaltender position". He's been one of the worst backups in the league this year. A 3.41gga, and .886sv%.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00