Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign G Jaroslav Halak to 1-Year, $1.5M Deal

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Don't like this contract with those bonuses being so easy to get.. but at least he's better than Holtby. Would have preferred just a 1 yr/2.25 deal or something. Quit mortgaging the future to get every drop out of this year.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
With the NMC, it rules out DiPietro taking over the backup job this season.

I love the way the deal came out:

"1 year 1.5MM"

"1 year....1.5MM....+1.25MM nearly guaranteed bonus, plus another 250k likely"

"1 year...2.75-3MM, with full NMC"

Reactions: Nucker101

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Ian Clark’s call..Benning confirms that Clark gets the executive decision on goalies.

Last edited:

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
With the NMC, it rules out DiPietro taking over the backup job this season.

I love the way the deal came out:

"1 year 1.5MM"

"1 year....1.5MM....+1.25MM nearly guaranteed bonus, plus another 250k likely"

"1 year...2.75-3MM, with full NMC"
Dipietro didn’t play at all last season
It’s silly to expect him to play in the nhl this season

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

Well thats all fine, but it's not even a possibility for anyone else to push for a goaltending spot. Like, it's fine, it's just worth noting.

Reactions: rypper

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC

It's silly until Halak underperforms and you can't make room to even give Dipietro a shot at playing with the big club this year.

I'm not saying Halak will, but why handicap yourself like that in terms of what you can do with the roster?

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
It's silly until Halak underperforms and you can't make room to even give Dipietro a shot at playing with the big club this year.

I'm not saying Halak will, but why handicap yourself like that in terms of what you can do with the roster?
Consider Halak’s outstanding performance in Boston as a backup the past few years
I’m willing to bet there were multiple teams on him

Blackjackz

Jun 23, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I like this deal... 1 year and the Canucks get a veteran backup, and it stops the pressure of rushing up Dipietro... bottom line, MD is 22 years old, and played 4 games last year... he needs to play hockey, and a lot of it to continue to develop, that is not going to happen if he cracked the Canucks lineup this year.. he would be looking to play 10 to 15 games unless injuries...

Now the Canucks can play an experienced backup 20 to 25 games, who gives them a chance to win, and Dipietro can play big minutes in Abbotsford, in meaningful games... Demko won't be relied upon to do something insane like a 70 game season, and can continue to grow as a starter without being played into exhaustion. Halak is still a capable veteran goalie, who knows he is coming to Vancouver to be a backup.. he isn't shop worn and can still assume a starting role if Demko goes down with an injury...

Sinistril

Oct 26, 2008
Did some back of the envelope numbers and assuming Halak gets .905 or better (likely with him tbh), he'll be good for about half a goal less per game than Holtby at 2/3 the price. This will likely be the best value deal of the offseason and do the most to improve the team with the least fanfare. Holtby was a disaster of a contract, regardless of the defense in front of him (I think he made them look worse, not the other way around)

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I prefer the Rittich deal.

that was interesting, so Ian as the Director of goaltending gets full autonomy in goaltenders for free agency, trades, and drafting.

It's not full autonomy. Ian gets to recommend. Benning decides whether it is workable (price of acquisition). There's no need to re-invent the wheel. Benning goes to Ian and tells him what he wants to accomplish and Ian gives Benning his recommendations. There's nothing wrong with the process. Ultimately, Ian is the one working with the goaltending so it better be a guy that he likes and feels confident about working with.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
It was a joke based on the previous comment. Sorry if you were offended, I know you are sensitive about backup goalies.

Not sensitive about the goalies per se just frustrated with this team's usage of them for awhile now...

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
What's amazing is here's a list of every free agent goalie this management team has signed.

Ryan Miller
Richard Bachman
Anders Nilsson
Braden Holtby
Jaroslav Halak

Richard Bachman that wasn't overpaid.

...and what does this tell you?

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I like getting Halak on a 1 year deal but yeah if those are the "bonuses" this is basically a $3M contract. Agents of veteran UFA goalies continue to take Benning to the cleaners. The cap hit isn't as damaging as it was last year with Holtby, but we'll have to wait and see how the cap hit plays out next season.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I agree with what has been said about the bonuses. Going by the headline the deal looks nice, but in reality it has a bigger footprint on the cap. I'm never a fan of these type if contracts. He's a solid backup and brings a wealth of experience for Demko to absorb.

Reactions: ugghhh

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I agree with what has been said about the bonuses. Going by the headline the deal looks nice, but in reality it has a bigger footprint on the cap. I'm never a fan of these type if contracts. He's a solid backup and brings a wealth of experience for Demko to absorb.

If we trade Halak at the deadline do his bonuses get traded as well? Pro-rated? Anyone know?

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
If we trade Halak at the deadline do his bonuses get traded as well? Pro-rated? Anyone know?

I'm not sure how they work which is why I never like these type of deals. I much rather know what it is instead of trying to figure out other factors.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
If his bonus carry through til next season adding on the dead cap from the two bought outs

It’s basically a wash with Luongo’s recapture penalty coming off for one season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad