Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign G Jaroslav Halak to 1-Year, $1.5M Deal

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
EDIT:

Now that Holtby has been bought out, it's time to talk about backup goalies. Assuming that the plan is for Dipietro to play in Abbotsford, we need to sign a guy to backup Demko for one year. I assume that the Canucks will be looking at guys who make $2.5M or less.

Rittich, Bernier,Ullmark (think Buffalo will sign him), Brossoit, Halak.

My preference is Brossoit or Rittich.

Last edited by a moderator:

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Our travel makes this tougher than it should be. My heart says just sign an old guy for less than a mil and ride Demko. But we've seen what our annual air miles do to over used goalies. So I guess sign the most expensive back up we can afford, however much that is.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Wonder what the AAV would be. Halak made $2.25M last season. Can't see him getting a raise. This could explain why the Canucks was so insistent on not retaining more salary in a Holtby trade.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Wonder what the AAV would be. Halak made $2.25M last season. Can't see him getting a raise. This could explain why the Canucks was so insistent on not retaining more salary in a Holtby trade.

We should be targeting a backup in the $1m to $1.5m range, IMO. Don't know if I see Halak taking that - though that latest comment from Staples seems to indicate he's the guy the Canucks want.

Martin Jones is another name I would have considered as a backup.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
We should be targeting a backup in the $1m to $1.5m range, IMO. Don't know if I see Halak taking that - though that latest comment from Staples seems to indicate he's the guy the Canucks want.

Uhh...Jones has been like the worst regular goalie of the last 3 years. Why??

Halak is a fine backup and has had some history of very good play. If he's cheap, there's no question he's a solid choice.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Once you have a guy like Halak's salary on the books, with very similar performance metrics to Holtby moreover, was it really all that worthwhile to do the buyout and prolong the pain? It gets them, what, maybe a third-pairing D-man this year?

If they can't move Schmidt, Benning will barely be able to ice a cap-compliant team. In that situation, every couple hundred thousand they can shave off the cap helps.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

No thanks to Martin Jones. He is broken. Will need a lot of work for Clark to fix. Not a good candidate on a one year deal.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Once you have a guy like Halak's salary on the books, with very similar performance metrics to Holtby moreover, was it really all that worthwhile to do the buyout and prolong the pain? It gets them, what, maybe a third-pairing D-man this year?

As long as it's 1 year and around say 1.75MM it's alright. Halak took a big dip last year but was still a better goalie than Holtby has been over the last 3 years.

I can just see them falling into the trap of giving a 2nd year and making next year's cap picture/Dipietro opportunity worse.

Would be better off aiming for a $900k-1MM 1 year goalie to play 10-15 and having DiPietro called up to play 10 using his waiver status to shuttle between Abby and Vancouver.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Uhh...Jones has been like the worst regular goalie of the last 3 years. Why??

Halak is a fine backup and has had some history of very good play. If he's cheap, there's no question he's a solid choice.

In my mind - I wanted the backup position to be more of a competition between DiPietro and a veteran, with the loser going to Abbotsford. I figured Jones might be a guy who'd be OK with that being the gig, and also coming in relatively inexpensive.

But, I'm just a guy on HF Boards. :laugh:

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Would much rather prefer Raanta over 36 year old Halak if the price is within 500K and both are willing to take one year deals

But I could see Raanta signing with a team that has a bigger workload for him, Halak probably prefers to play less at his age

Jones is worse than Holtby

Reactions: HockeyWooot

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Halak would be hilarious because since he's over 35 they can give him 1 million bucks and then a bunch of bonuses to push into 2022-23... which would be very on-brand for the Canucks this off-season.

I like the target, though. Will wait to see term/cost though.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
In my mind - I wanted the backup position to be more of a competition between DiPietro and a veteran, with the loser going to Abbotsford. I figured Jones might be a guy who'd be OK with that being the gig, and also coming in relatively inexpensive.

DP barely played last year. He's not ready for the NHL. Let's just give him a season in Abbostford.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

I think as long as the backup only gets 1 year then it should still be fine. If you sign a guy for 2 years then it's a big F-U to DiPietro after they f***ed him over last year.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Would much rather prefer Raanta over 36 year old Halak if the price is within 500K and both are willing to take one year deals

But I could see Raanta signing with a team that has a bigger workload for him, Halak probably prefers to play less at his age

Jones is worse than Holtby

Raanta I think would be out of our price range most likely.

Reactions: Nucker101

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Halak or Raanta would be fine, but I'm worried about the cost. And Raanta just has not been able to stay healthy.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

That's a poor plan though. If Dipietro isn't ready and Jones suck then what do you do? You just signed a backup that Green can't be trusted to play. Furthermore there's also waivers and that vet goalie could be lost. With a capable backup we would finally have some goaltending depth (with Dipietro being the 3rd goalie an Silovs capable of playing more games in the AHL).

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Martin Jones will be the guy. 6'4 just like how Clark likes them and will sign cheap due to being bought out. He's also from North Vancouver so closer to home.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I'm hoping for our back-up to play around 25-30 games next year. Idk if Raanta can be healthy enough to do that
I actually think he's best suited for that role, you get in trouble when you want him in a 1A/1B role where he has to start around 40 games

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->