Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign G Jaroslav Halak to 1-Year, $1.5M Deal

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
It's silly until Halak underperforms and you can't make room to even give Dipietro a shot at playing with the big club this year.

I'm not saying Halak will, but why handicap yourself like that in terms of what you can do with the roster?
Spreads the wealth around I guess? Dipietro will probably sell a few tickets in Abbotsford

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
So basically, by refusing to retain more than 500k on Holtby in favour of signing Halak, the Canucks are "saving" $800K in cap room this season while pushing $3.4M towards next year's cap which is a bit more than Luongo's recapture penalty.

We live day to day.

Reactions: mathonwy

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I kinda figured that by the time they'd bought out Holtby, and then signed a new guy...we'd either end up with a significant downgrade (or awkwardly push DiPietro up before he's ready, to basically rot on the bench). Or end up spending enough on the new backup to eat up a big chunk of any "savings" compared to Holtby. But this works. I like Halak. He's a solid backup who can be a bit more for stretches, and he's been through the wars multiple times with multiple teams. And he comes cheap. If he actually hits whatever all the incentives are, it probably means something has gone badly wrong and we needed him.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
This is a brutal signing. $1.5m base but him playing 10+ games is basically what any backup needs to be able to do. And while Halak was starting to decline, the chances of him posting less than .905 are pretty slim...

If he does post less than. 905 you're regretting the $1.5M base.

Pushing the bonus to next year isn't great either because the contracts they need to sign will still want the $1.5M next year...

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
This is a brutal signing. $1.5m base but him playing 10+ games is basically what any backup needs to be able to do. And while Halak was starting to decline, the chances of him posting less than .905 are pretty slim...

Pushing the bonus to next year isn't great either because the contracts they need to sign will still want the $1.5M next year...

One explanation for going for this type of deal was that it helps protect the Canucks from another team offersheeting Petey.

As for the chances of Halak posting less than .905, he did post .905 last season on a stronger Bruins team.

I'm wishing for Halak to hit all of his bonuses of course.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013

the classic lose-lose scenario

Reactions: mossey3535

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015

I think the 10 games bonus thing was done as an incentive. I was reading something (and I have no idea as to the validity of it, so take it with a huge grain of salt) that said that bonuses are taxed at a lesser rate or something. I wish I could find where I was reading this, but it would explain why such an easily achievable bonus was put into Halak's contract.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Greg Wyshynksi of ESPN Radio has described Jim Benning as the 'Homer Simpson' GM of the NHL. Every contract the guy unloaded this off-season he signed in the first place. In the case of Holtby and Schmidt, he acquired them a year and was seemingly stuck with their bloated contracts, before he off-loaded them less than nine months later.

A goalie like Halak at his contact price point is the kind of guy the Canucks should have signed a year ago, instead of Holtby. But of course it all had a ripple effect. Signing Holtby and acquiring Schmidt, meant they had to waive goodbye to Tanev and Tofoli.

Reactions: mossey3535

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
I was find with the 1.5 mill for Halak, actually really happy when I first heard about the signing, but up to 3 mill with bonuses kinda sucks. Halak is a very capable goaltender who can fill in nicely due to injury, but overall a bizarre signing when he isn't all that much cheaper than Holtby.

I would of liked to see hometown native Laurent Brossoit in the Canucks backup role instead.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
We’ll be paying Holtby and Halak more not to play for us in 22-23 than we were Luongo.

This is why it irks me so whenever I hear Benning whine about how the Luongo recapture penalty hampers his ability to sign contracts. Like, the additional $2.2M incurred by the imposition of the Luongo penalty is a problem, but the $3.4M of dead space allocated to Holtby and Halak is not.

It's ridiculous.

Reactions: mossey3535 and MS

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
This is why it irks me so whenever I hear Benning whine about how the Luongo recapture penalty hampers his ability to sign contracts. Like, the additional $2.2M incurred by the imposition of the Luongo penalty is a problem, but the $3.4M of dead space allocated to Holtby and Halak is not.

It's ridiculous.
Well to be fair the whole Luongo recapture penalty was because the rules got changed after Luongo signed and pretty much every other team has been exempted from the penalty because the players instead of retiring claimed they had a career ending injury. So it is an unfair penalty.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Well to be fair the whole Luongo recapture penalty was because the rules got changed after Luongo signed and pretty much every other team has been exempted from the penalty because the players instead of retiring claimed they had a career ending injury. So it is an unfair penalty.

Fair enough.

But it doesn't change the fact Benning's whinging further reveals his lack of self awareness about his own incompetence: Benning had no say in the league imposing the penalty, but he's fully responsible for the contracts he signed Holtby and Halak to.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Fair enough.

But it doesn't change the fact Benning's whinging further reveals his lack of self awareness about his own incompetence: Benning had no say in the league imposing the penalty, but he's fully responsible for the contracts he signed Holtby and Halak to.
I agree. He’s essentially replaced the Luongo recapture with the Holtby recapture and Halak bonus next year. His free agent signings have been a disaster.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Boston had the 2nd best defensive team in the league while he was there so its unlikely he puts up the same numbers here. But, if he can put up a .905-.910 and around a 2.85 over 20-25 games I'd be happy with.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I was find with the 1.5 mill for Halak, actually really happy when I first heard about the signing, but up to 3 mill with bonuses kinda sucks. Halak is a very capable goaltender who can fill in nicely due to injury, but overall a bizarre signing when he isn't all that much cheaper than Holtby.

I would of liked to see hometown native Laurent Brossoit in the Canucks backup role instead.
Brossoit got term and money from Vegas
No thanks

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Can’t blame the guy really. He signed up for a year and likely took this deal as he could get a NMC and make sure he wasn’t moving 8 months later on someone else’s terms

That said it was a dumb deal at the time and you knew it was just going to be dumber as they moved on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->