Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign G Jaroslav Halak to 1-Year, $1.5M Deal

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Call up Martin, have this guy ride the bench for the next two years for all I care.

Reactions: MarkMM

ChuckNorris4Cup

May 31, 2018
giphy.webp

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver

Just because Benning's been fired doesn't mean his incompetence is wiped from the books. The Canucks will be paying the price for JB's ineptitude for a while yet. May as well settle in and cope. I recommend Don Julio anejo tequila to help you in this regard.

The cap hit next year for Halak and Holtby will exceed the Luongo cap penalty. Just sayin'.

Reactions: MarkMM and Lindgren

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
A GM would have to be a right dunce to think acquiring Halak would be "shoring up the goaltender position". He's been one of the worst backups in the league this year. A 3.41gga, and .886sv%.

You do realize that you are responding to a post that was made after his first real stinker of a game this season? His numbers were far better at the post you were responding to.

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
He is one of the main reasons our good record under Bruce hasn’t been better, and we are not competing for a playoff spot.

ChuckNorris4Cup

May 31, 2018
Just because Benning's been fired doesn't mean his incompetence is wiped from the books. The Canucks will be paying the price for JB's ineptitude for a while yet. May as well settle in and cope. I recommend Don Julio anejo tequila to help you in this regard.

The cap hit next year for Halak and Holtby will exceed the Luongo cap penalty. Just sayin'.
All the hate Gillis used to get, but he was actually better even drafting in later rounds because his team was competitive. Benning just was bad, and the sad part is he wasn't even trying to be bad he was actually trying to be good :laugh:

Reactions: MarkMM

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
We have been, but surely at this point in time Ian Clark and Demko have earned the trust that:
1. Demko can carry the franchise goalie role ala Vasy in tampa.
2. Ian Clark can train any league min goalie into at least being serviceable or even better back up.

Totally agree with the first point and vehemently disagree with the second. Remember Anders Nilsson? Played like crap here but played pretty good for the years preceding and following his Canucks two year stint (ordeal? sentence?) even on a crap team like Ottawa. Holtby? Cup, Vezina, Jennings before he came here where he suddenly was garbage. Discarded as useless he was #1 for Dallas almost out of camp this year and has had at least a decent season almost magically. And now Halak who played decently for the last few years and who has mysteriously turned to shit literally almost overnight. Wanna make a bet he rebounds with a different team next year? What do all these guys have in common? Ian Clark, their goalie coach. Maybe, just maybe Demko is just naturally gifted and is immune to whatever bad juju Clark seems to sprinkle on all the other goalies who play here. Except for Marky, of course. Maybe Clark just doesn't have any time for the backups. Whatever he is the common thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: mossey3535

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Totally agree with the first point and vehemently disagree with the second. Remember Anders Nilsson? Played like crap here but played pretty good for the years preceding and following his Canucks two year stint (ordeal? sentence?) even on a crap team like Ottawa. Holtby? Cup, Vezina, Jennings before he came here where he suddenly was garbage. Discarded as useless he was #1 for Dallas almost out of camp this year and has had at least a decent season almost magically. And now Halak who played decently for the last few years and who has mysteriously turned to shit literally almost overnight. Wanna make a bet he rebounds with a different team next year? What do all these guys have in common? Ian Clark, their goalie coach. Maybe, just maybe Demko is just naturally gifted and is immune to whatever bad juju Clark seems to sprinkle on all the other goalies who play here. Except for Marky, of course. Maybe Clark just doesn't have any time for the backups. Whatever he is the common thread.

I came in here to post something similar to this. Clark is a great goalie coach but he's gotten near idol worship here.

I don't think he did all that much for Marky, I give Rollie most of the credit for getting Marky into NHL form where he could stay in the league. And Marky has been better once Calgary pulled Sigalet off the ice and into a management role.

He was let go from Columbus because he didn't work with their young goalies.

He worked very well with Luongo but near the end was kind of a yes-man who couldn't modernize Lu's game (Rollie had to force him to learn to skate when he arrived in Vancouver).

He's gotten two strikes now with two veteran guys - Holtby and Halak. Both guys who probably don't need the preparation and mental sides that Clark is pretty good at. I think Demko, as a new starter in the league really ate that stuff up and it has definitely fit where Demko is in his progression. But I disagree strongly with some of the technical habits he appears to be content to leave in Demko's game.

Anyways, is he a good coach? Definitely, I think the results he has gotten with several goalies speak for themselves. But does he work with anyone and everyone? No, of course not. That's the case for any goalie coach.

Reactions: CloutierForVezina

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad