Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Linus Karlsson to ELC

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Sometimes it is just the camera angle though....Hockey DB lists Danila Klimovich at 6'1" and 208 but he looks so much bigger than that on the AHL TV network.
I think Klimovich is 6'2. There is a pic of him and pod together and he's noticeably taller. Elite prospects confirms this and has him at 6'2 as well but then again, they used to have pod at 6'4 so their accuracy is questionable.
As for LK, everywhere I've looked, he's listed at 185 cm so I think that's accurate. I suspect he might have bulked up a bit though.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Just noticed that Hawryluk was on the same team this year, and wasn't as good as LK. Seems LK has the skill to be an NHLer and his skating looks fine from what I've seen, I just question his battle level and what he will look like with less time and space.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Raymond and Seider were teenage top-5 picks with massive toolboxes on heater development curves.

Nobody is saying that there aren't good players coming from Sweden. The league is just not as strong as it used to be (although that might change next year with a KHL exodus) and it's dangerous to over-project guys based on production there. Especially when it's propped up by PP points.
so what are you saying, that SHL is not even top 5 in Europe?

May 31, 2006
so what are you saying, that SHL is not even top 5 in Europe?
It's probably still the second/third best league in Europe, but it's relative strength vs other leagues has probably weakened.

The SHL's ability to retain its top talent has decreased over the last decade, with a lot of Swedish players going to the KHL and Switzerland.

# of Swedish KHL players:
2011-12: 20
2021-22: 39

# of Swedish NLA players:
2011-12: 3
2021-22: 17

That's -33 net players (more than 2 per team) going to those two leagues alone, and you can probably presume that those would be among the more high-end SHLers. The same is true for the Finland.

edit: the effect is even bigger when you take NA into account. 66 Swedes have dressed up for an AHL game this season, compared to 39 in 11/12. That's another 27 quality Swedish prospects who would otherwise be developing in the SHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: kanucks25 and F A N

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Nobody is saying that there aren't good players coming from Sweden. The league is just not as strong as it used to be (although that might change next year with a KHL exodus) and it's dangerous to over-project guys based on production there. Especially when it's propped up by PP points.

That's fair. I certainly don't expect too much from Karlsson. Just hopefully optimistic.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think Klimovich is 6'2. There is a pic of him and pod together and he's noticeably taller. Elite prospects confirms this and has him at 6'2 as well but then again, they used to have pod at 6'4 so their accuracy is questionable.
As for LK, everywhere I've looked, he's listed at 185 cm so I think that's accurate. I suspect he might have bulked up a bit though.
NHL combine measures kids there but when you are 17/18 at the time you can still grow an inch or so. NFL combine does the same thing but these college guys are 20-23 at the time so they aren’t growing any taller.

As for Karlsson. At 22 going on 23 (like McDonaugh) and having out up a strong year in the SHL his options are either another year in the SHL or come over to North America.

beachcomber

Apr 6, 2015
Don't expect anything from these slow footed Canucks prospects and you won't be disappointed.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
why not sign his line buddies richard hugg and jonathan johnsson? let them play as a line in AHL, if they does great then try them together in NHL for some games.

Reactions: F A N

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
why not sign his line buddies richard hugg and jonathan johnsson? let them play as a line in AHL, if they does great then try them together in NHL for some games.

Rickard Hugg is interesting. Was in the OHL for a couple of seasons. Wore a letter on his jersey on a few teams. Seems like he usually requires some time to make the transition. I would take a stab at him.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Another possible elimination game for Karlsson this morning (his team is down 2-3 in their best of 7 series), and I'm hoping he finally breaks through offensively (has just 1A and no goals on 16 shots + 32 attempts). Skelleftea needs his offense (especially on the PP) if they want to come back in the series.

Reactions: Lindgren

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Solid 1st period for Karlsson personally with 2 shots on 3 attempts (one creating a scoring chance off a rebound, and the other a one-timer that was shouldered away) in 6:55TOI. He also created a grade A scoring chance off a nice pass into the high slot.

Unfortunately, Skelleftea had a poor period overall, failing to create much, showing poor puck management in the defensive zone (which lead to a goal against on a terrible turnover), and taking bad penalties (which also lead to a goal against). Skelleftea are down 2-0 after one in this elimination game 6.

edit* - Slow start to the 2nd period for Skelleftea leads to another weak goal against, so now down 3-0 it'll take a huge 3rd to make a comeback. Karlsson looked fine for his part, but his line + teams offensive flow has been disjointed all game. Finished the 2nd period with 5:43TOI (12:38 total).

I wont be able to watch the 3rd, but I hope Skelleftea put together a better effort vs the 2nd.

Last edited:
Reactions: Regress2TheMeme

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
So if they lose today we could get Karlsson signed or on an ATO and into Abby's lineup just before the playoffs.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
They lost 5-0. Karlsson's season, at least the Swedish portion of it, is done.

I wonder if he's in the Sweden picture for the World Championships.

Edit - probably not. He would have been last year with the NHL season running later due to COVID, but there will probably be too many NHL players available this year.

Reactions: timw33 and Lindgren

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
He was supposed to play in the World Championships but has not played any games. Is he just in the press box as the extra guy or did he get hurt or something?

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
He was supposed to play in the World Championships but has not played any games. Is he just in the press box as the extra guy or did he get hurt or something?

From reading the thread on the team, sounds like he’s just there as a reserve player in case one of the skilled forwards gets hurt.

Reactions: Lindgren

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
From reading the thread on the team, sounds like he’s just there as a reserve player in case one of the skilled forwards gets hurt.

Carol Schram now reports that Sweden's roster is full, with no chance for Karlsson to take a spot, so ...

I wonder if Karlsson's release speeds up the announcement of his signing with the Canucks? It has been rumoured for awhile that the deal is all-but-done, and the two sides were just waiting for his obligations in Sweden to be completed.

HockeyBuzz.com - Carol Schram - Checking in on the Vancouver Canucks players at the World Championship

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Didn’t realize this but a new transfer agreement with Sweden was signed in April. Main thing is if he doesn’t make the Canucks, he has to offered back to his Swedish club before being assigned to the AHL. Karlsson is one of the first players subject to this change.

“However, there is one significant change that warrants a closer look. Under the old agreement, players drafted in the second round or later that are also signed in Sweden had to be at least 21 before they could be sent to the AHL. If they were younger than that, they had to be returned to their Swedish team. In the new agreement, that threshold has been increased to 24. Any player from Sweden who signs an NHL contract will now be subject to the new agreement while anyone that signed before the announcement will be under the old rules.”

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Didn’t realize this but a new transfer agreement with Sweden was signed in April. Main thing is if he doesn’t make the Canucks, he has to offered back to his Swedish club before being assigned to the AHL. Karlsson is one of the first players subject to this change.

“However, there is one significant change that warrants a closer look. Under the old agreement, players drafted in the second round or later that are also signed in Sweden had to be at least 21 before they could be sent to the AHL. If they were younger than that, they had to be returned to their Swedish team. In the new agreement, that threshold has been increased to 24. Any player from Sweden who signs an NHL contract will now be subject to the new agreement while anyone that signed before the announcement will be under the old rules.”
I can think of guy in Utica who's going to be mighty pissed about this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad