Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Linus Karlsson to ELC

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
This seems good, right?
He’s got a road to climb to become a legit middle 6 NHL’er; but for a team with few prospects, it can’t hurt.

A successful season for him would be if he can make himself a legit call up option (when we have injury issues) by mid to late season. That would mean he’s one of the better players for Abby, and the coaching staff likes his 2-way game.

He will be 23 for next season.
His window to show himself as an NHL’er is kind of short now. He likely gets one AHL development year, and then has to be worthy of an NHL spot in ‘23-‘24, or he’s done.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Okay Linus... now spend the Summer working on your skating.
Apparently, it’s not so much his skating that has been holding him back as much as it’s been a poor commitment to conditioning.

He is said to have made a bigger commitment to that this last off-season, and it showed on the ice.

Let’s hope he works his butt off this summer to show up in good shape. Maybe he should start hanging out with Hoglander and some of Hogs off-ice work ethic rubs off on LK.

Reactions: David Bruce Banner

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Since the trade Ive felt like hes a nothing prospect but I have a good feeling about him all of a sudden for some reason

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Since the trade Ive felt like hes a nothing prospect but I have a good feeling about him all of a sudden for some reason
Probably because our prospect pool sucks and he’s like our 3rd best prospect. I do hope he can become a decent two-way 3C though.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Probably because our prospect pool sucks and he’s like our 3rd best prospect. I do hope he can become a decent two-way 3C though.
No Im aware how shit things are in general. I had a dream about the signing the night before it happened and had a good feeling about it. In the dream he was Lisch Karlsson though.

This is the only way I judge hockey players and prospects, truthfully, dreams and gut instinct

Reactions: Lindgren

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Not really sure what to think of Karlsson as his breakout was unexpected. Seems to have some quality tools.

If he's a top player in Abby next season, then challenges/plays games the following year (then onward from there), I think that's a great situation.

But we'll see where he's at. Hopefully close.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
He could win a spot opening night in the NHL. I don't think we need to be afraid of "rushing" him, he's an older prospect that has experience against men. It's like Juho or Podkolzin, they just need NHL games to adjust and assert themselves physically.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Loving his ability to play at 6'3" against physical teams with a tough forecheck then shrink back to 6'1" to keep up with the smaller, quicker teams.

• Haha
Reactions: Fatass

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Why, because they were born in the same country?

Rodin came to NA, got hurt and failed, went back to Sweden and developed until he was like 25 or so, then came back and got hurt and failed again.

Seems like a pretty different situation to me...
No, because there was a lot of hype around Rodin after coming off a great year in the SHL.

Dala

Mar 1, 2006
With some luck he might end up almost as good as Jonathan Dahlen. He's two years younger so still some development to be done.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
With some luck he might end up almost as good as Jonathan Dahlen. He's two years younger so still some development to be done.
I just don’t see where a guy who is slow fits into our club, when JR has been saying “we need to get faster”. Karlsson is (23?) so how much faster is he going to get?

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Without the knee problems? Sign me up.
My original point was that I was having flashbacks. Nothing more. I was very high on Rodin from the moment he was drafted, probably unreasonably high. But his knee problems were the main reason he didn't make it here.

Reactions: Lindgren

Feb 20, 2013
He’s got a road to climb to become a legit middle 6 NHL’er; but for a team with few prospects, it can’t hurt.

A successful season for him would be if he can make himself a legit call up option (when we have injury issues) by mid to late season. That would mean he’s one of the better players for Abby, and the coaching staff likes his 2-way game.

He will be 23 for next season.
His window to show himself as an NHL’er is kind of short now. He likely gets one AHL development year, and then has to be worthy of an NHL spot in ‘23-‘24, or he’s done.

1653844026585.png

He has actually always been a pretty good prospect. Had that dip in production in 2019, but came back strong these past two years. The Allsvenskan is a good league, and is closer to the SHL than the AHL is to the NHL, so NHLe values are pretty high. According to this he is more likely than not to be an NHLer, so I would not be surprised if he is competitive for a roster spot in training camp. His game makes sense in a bottom 6 role which helps his chances since he wouldn't have to be handed minutes to make the team.

Here is Dahlen (and Garland) for comparison: Pretty similar development curve but 2 years older.
1653844586642.png

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
bit older and experience playing against men. most likely given opportunity to replace hoglander(likely traded for d/picks) on 3rd line imo,

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You have to give some props to the Canucks European scouts for this one......when Benning sent Dahlen packing for a kid playing in Allsvenskan in Karlsson, nobody had ever heard of him. He had pretty gaudy junior stats, but was clearly struggling to establish himself in the second division of Swedish pro hockey.

But I'd say he's a solid candidate to make the Canucks as at least a 'middle-six' forward. Dahlen meantime, had a promising start to the season in San Jose, but then hit the wall and was a healthy scratch for portions of the season. I still think it's likely he eventually ends up back in Sweden.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
View attachment 553484

He has actually always been a pretty good prospect. Had that dip in production in 2019, but came back strong these past two years. The Allsvenskan is a good league, and is closer to the SHL than the AHL is to the NHL, so NHLe values are pretty high. According to this he is more likely than not to be an NHLer, so I would not be surprised if he is competitive for a roster spot in training camp. His game makes sense in a bottom 6 role which helps his chances since he wouldn't have to be handed minutes to make the team.

Here is Dahlen (and Garland) for comparison: Pretty similar development curve but 2 years older.
View attachment 553485
Garland @ 5'10"? LOL, maybe with his skates on, even then...

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
You have to give some props to the Canucks European scouts for this one......when Benning sent Dahlen packing for a kid playing in Allsvenskan in Karlsson, nobody had ever heard of him. He had pretty gaudy junior stats, but was clearly struggling to establish himself in the second division of Swedish pro hockey.

But I'd say he's a solid candidate to make the Canucks as at least a 'middle-six' forward. Dahlen meantime, had a promising start to the season in San Jose, but then hit the wall and was a healthy scratch for portions of the season. I still think it's likely he eventually ends up back in Sweden.
I have seen literally zero games of both those players (ok I seen Dahlen play us) but I would 100 out of 100 times make the trade back.

One is in the NHL and kept his head above water (quite easily) the other, until he does that, might as well be on Mars, because its a massive question mark right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad